Kraken RBA and cotton yarn
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdanderson1449

Thread: Kraken RBA and cotton yarn

Default Kraken RBA and cotton yarn

So, I just picked up a Kraken RBA and built it with a single coil on SS mesh. It vapes great in that it makes a huge amount of vapor but I'm getting a metallic taste from it. I've washed it with hot water, soaked in grain alcohol and have even go so far as to build it again with cotton yarn wicking. I'm still getting a taste of metal from it. I'm totally new to RBAs so bear with me. Is there something I'm missing? The wick is fully saturated but my nicotine levels are kind of high. Could it be that my high level juice has something to do with this? Also got a cheap dual coil RDA mostly for testing my DIY juice. It seems to be performing pretty well although I'm only running a single coil on it currently. For now, I actually kind of prefer the taste of my Protank 2 to any of these new devices.

Any insight in to this harsh metallic taste would surely be appreciated.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

did you wash it first? machine oil?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Did you torch the mesh? The only times I taste metal is because the mesh isn't saturated as fast as it is being heated. So, metal taste = not wet mesh. The kraken has to be tilted for every vape or you will get a dry hit or metal/mesh taste.

Oops, reread it again. Metal taste as in harshness? That maybe because you have a hotspot on your build. What is the resistance of your build and what device are you using it on?

Is this a clone? Clones are known to have shorting problems.
    Last edited by ImThatGuy; 01-19-2014 at 11:16 PM.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." --some guy

It has been cleaned several times. Torched the mesh. It's almost certainly a clone although the site I bought it from wasn't overtly specific about that. It doesn't seem that I'm getting any shorts. I should disassemble it again and double check the clearance between the ground wire and the deck. I'm familiar with the gennie tilt so I'm sure the wick is being saturated. The other thing is that I've re-wicked with cotton and still get the same result. I'm done with it for tonight but will be taking it to one of the shops in town who offered some help. The coil is heating nice and evenly from inside out. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I actually remedied this problem. Turns out that after I reassembled, I tweeked my coil just enough to short it. I pulled the wick and fired to find out that the top was heating way faster than the bottom. Re-coiled and wicked with cotton yarn. I made sure to get the coil raised off the deck just enough and it tastes like wonderful clean grapey goodness. I just don't think the cotton will keep up with my chain vaping so I'm gonna have to get better with mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hazewitch likes this.

Check out ss rope build a microcoil around a I think 7/64 bit then cut ss mesh and build a sleeve for the ss rope for just the coil area (above deck ) and slid rope with sleeve through the micro coil and ss rope alone should be in the tank the sleeve I used is about 1 inch by just under 1/2 inch !!!!! Fit them in snug ! Trimming of mesh may be required to fit it in properly !!! No tipping to wick it but I use a lean juice at 60/40 vg/pg

Watch this video on YouTube
    Kraken build by vapelyfe I don't have a link but Google that