Pick my new RTA
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pick my new RTA

Blog Entries

Post Pick my new RTA

First "New Thread"!
    I'm due for a new tank I figured RTA would be fun to play with, but i need some advice...

Background

Tanks
    I have a vivi nova, I've broken 4 EVODS tanks, and have been using 2 protank mini 2's.
    I liked the tighter vape on the evods, but the durability of the PT2's. I'm not hard on my devices, I just clean them with REALLY hot water (melted the glue on the evods after a few months). I've adjusted to the draw on the PT2 mini, but thats not to say I wouldn't pick up another evod again. the nova is ok, I still use it. Not a huge fan of the warmer vape, and I hate how I have to tip and spin it after it gets down below 1/3 tank or risk burnt taste.. but I've got to balance that with flooding... its kind of a pain.
    I'm not against larger tanks, other than the fact they made the ego's way too top heavy.
    I've rebuilt some protank heads, but only to experiment (or when i needed a new head, and my order hadn't arrived yet..)

Batteries
    I've been vaping for about 6 months on eGos.
    Just got my first APV this week (SmokTech SiD).

Wants
    I like a cooler vape, so I'm thinking bottom/mid coil RTA.
    I'm on a budget, so I'm looking around $35. I think that limits me to cones (but I'm ok with that, as long as they work decently).
    I don't want to mess with a dripper, but the Tatro drip tank looks cool (just out of my price range by $100).
    I pick things up pretty quickly, so I don't want to be limited to a small deck or just a few builds. At the same time, I don't want something that's a pain in the butt to do a simple build on.
    I'm planning on starting with kanthal & cotton builds. Maybe eventually move on to wiremesh, but i need more tools first

Other Thoughts
    I'm thinking the Fogger v3 would do nicely.
    I'm open to suggestions though. Something easy to do a ton of different kinds of rebuilds on, providing a cool vape. Not really interested in subohm as my device won't support it. I'll pick up a Mech mod eventually, but it will probably be a while.

I hope I covered everything without getting to far into it. Let me know if you need more info.
    Thanks for any advice in advance!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have a Russian 91, its similar to the Kayfun and I have enjoyed it immensely. I have read about quality Kayfun clones somewhat close to your price range. The vape on it isn't hot, but not exactly cool either, although that depends on how you set it up and your voltage settings. I don't know about a ton of different ways to set it up, I'm happy with the kanthal microcoil and cotton build, and it is dead simple to set up. Hopefully someone with both a Fogger and Kayfun style device can add to this discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Member ECF Veteran folkphys's Avatar

The Fogger v3 does indeed fit the bill in all but two ways:

1. Super airy draw. Even with the AFC very nearly closed, it draws at least as open as a Protank (full sized, not mini).

2. Real PITA to create the perfect wick. And it almost always needs a perfect wick. Don't get me wrong, it certainly can be done. For some folks, the Fogger barely even puts up a fight. Not the case in my experience. However, when I did achieve that knife-edge balance of wispy yet substantial cotton that was not too short and not too long, the Fogger became a simply mind-altering toot machine. Gigantic lungfuls of cool 18mg tastiness that I'd only choke on when the vapor was so plentiful as to come out of my eye sockets. That said, I haven't touched my Fogger in the last month because I now seem to prefer the Kayfun and Russian, which are like fire-spitting dragons compared to it.

Of course a decent genesis-style deal should also do quite nicely if you're up for the learning curve. which really isn't that bad......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by folkphys View Post
    Of course a decent genesis-style deal should also do quite nicely if you're up for the learning curve. which really isn't that bad......
    Thanks for the reply!
    Any suggestions for a good Genesis clone? (Seeggaaaaa*) lol

*Nerd humor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amp79423 View Post
    I have read about quality Kayfun clones somewhat close to your price range.
    Thanks for the reply,

Any good clones come to mind?

check out the Hcigar kayfun 3.1. Good airflow control so you can rock a loose cool vape. The building abilities are somewhat limited, but if you can be creative you can easily overcome that. The only thing on your list it doesnt fit is $$ it can be found for 45$ at a couple sites. If you wanted to spend the extra dough it's well worth it in my opinion.
    csantiago1911 likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwontstop View Post
    check out the Hcigar kayfun 3.1. Good airflow control so you can rock a loose cool vape. The building abilities are somewhat limited, but if you can be creative you can easily overcome that. The only thing on your list it doesnt fit is $$ it can be found for 45$ at a couple sites. If you wanted to spend the extra dough it's well worth it in my opinion.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.
    Like I said, its around $35. I could probably go a little higher, but don't want to get crazy... 60+ is probably a absolute no.

Super Member ECF Veteran folkphys's Avatar

Kayfun Lite + Clone - 101Vape -$32 (but you'll probably want to get a clear tank section also, which is an extra $6)

The KF 3.1 has a bitchy little fill valve, in my opinion.

Gennies: Find a good Pulse-G clone. Or else the old standard. An RSST with a drilled out air hole and reduced chamber topcap makes for a beastly little tooter. Lots of folks love the Kraken. Never tried it, but I've enjoyed the AGA-TD (I enlarged the air holes, the cap is already small enough) for a flexible solid dual/single coil genny.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Pick my new RTA

^^ what all these folks said! For a decently priced genny, take a look at the Smok RSST. Those can be found for around $30. http://www.myvaporstore.com/SMOKTech.../smok-rsst.htm. My experience with the rsst is generally good, nice vapor production, decent flavor and throat hit. One word of caution is they have a tendency to leak if they are not kept upright due to the wick holes and fill holes. Some people are able to set them up leak-free, but I'm not one of those people, hence the Russian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I was checking out some reviews for the genesis attys... It doesn't look like you can do cotton builds easily. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast