So...What's the Skinny on Rebuildables? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: So...What's the Skinny on Rebuildables?

Quote Originally Posted by Softrockstarr View Post
    One question though, everyone: I'm assuming that once you invest in the actual parts and everything, using a rebuildable is eventually cheaper than using say, a protank or aspire system with replaceable coils? Am I right? I'm a little bit on the broke side and I don't wanna get sucked into using a system that I can't really afford.
    If you go the Kayfun route, vapdivrr's vids are a good place for builds. A pretty modest investment in materials, but compared to clearos, you will not be sorry. I am using a couple of EHPro Kayfun lite+ tanks, and they are very good. Here is a beginners list of materials, some of which you probably already have.

Tweezers, I use both pointed and flat tips.
    Mini screwdriver set, from dollar store.
    16 and 18ga syringe needles, from farm supply store, about $2 for a 6 pack.
    3ml syringes, from farm supply store, about .50 each.
    Butane torch lighter (Ronson) and butane, from WalMart, under $5.
    Organic cotton balls, drug store, under $3.
    28 & 30ga Kanthal wire, about $7 for 100' from Amazon.

That is bare bones what you need to start. Vapdivrr's list is more complete, and other stuff will occur to you as you begin building, for instance a VOM to check resistance but you can use your VAMO to do that now. Good luck, and have fun!

Full Member ECF Veteran Softrockstarr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapdivrr View Post
    I never really vaped the protank or likes so im not really sure. I do know that once you do buy the initial stuff like a couple of spools of different gauge wire, and like a bag of cotton your set for a couple years, also I do have a few vids on the kayfun but are sort of geared up to advanced builds but before Friday I will have a complete basic video on the kayfun, I will post it in this thread by friday
    Thanks so much! Keep me updated!

Quote Originally Posted by coalyard View Post
    If you go the Kayfun route, vapdivrr's vids are a good place for builds. A pretty modest investment in materials, but compared to clearos, you will not be sorry. I am using a couple of EHPro Kayfun lite+ tanks, and they are very good. Here is a beginners list of materials, some of which you probably already have.

Tweezers, I use both pointed and flat tips.
    Mini screwdriver set, from dollar store.
    16 and 18ga syringe needles, from farm supply store, about $2 for a 6 pack.
    3ml syringes, from farm supply store, about .50 each.
    Butane torch lighter (Ronson) and butane, from WalMart, under $5.
    Organic cotton balls, drug store, under $3.
    28 & 30ga Kanthal wire, about $7 for 100' from Amazon.

That is bare bones what you need to start. Vapdivrr's list is more complete, and other stuff will occur to you as you begin building, for instance a VOM to check resistance but you can use your VAMO to do that now. Good luck, and have fun!
    Sweet. It looks like I'll be saving a lot of money when I save up for some RBAs.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
    second2none likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Aside from saving money in the long run the beauty of rebuildables is the flexibility that they afford the user. On a Kayfun there's more ways to build a coil than I have fingers and toes. Additionally, you have the ability to build your coil to a certain ohms so that it will better suit the device you're using and you vaping style. The Kayfun is super easy to build on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    DeadbeatJeff likes this.

Full Member Verified Member

I finally got sick of my Protanks also. I tried rebuilding them, but for me it was a real PITA, and it was just easier to buy replacements. Then I got a few bad batches of coil heads that would immediately clog, gurgle, and I had to be careful what kind of juice I put in.

I would start with an IGO-W only because I had purchased one as a backup or as an emergency in case my protank died and I wouldn't be tempted to go back to analogs.

I have now been using it exclusively for about a month, and after learning how to wrap microcoils and stuff with cotton, I couldn't be happier.

I would like the convinience of a tank, however, and have ordered a kayfun 3.1.

I hope it is as easy as the Igo-W. If I can do it, you can do it.

Cheaper? YES! Maybe. Much cheaper than buying protank heads, but now I'm itching to try out a bunch of different RBA's, RDA's, and tanks. Oh my.

Good luck!

Full Member ECF Veteran Softrockstarr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimer View Post
    I finally got sick of my Protanks also. I tried rebuilding them, but for me it was a real PITA, and it was just easier to buy replacements. Then I got a few bad batches of coil heads that would immediately clog, gurgle, and I had to be careful what kind of juice I put in.

I would start with an IGO-W only because I had purchased one as a backup or as an emergency in case my protank died and I wouldn't be tempted to go back to analogs.

I have now been using it exclusively for about a month, and after learning how to wrap microcoils and stuff with cotton, I couldn't be happier.

I would like the convinience of a tank, however, and have ordered a kayfun 3.1.

I hope it is as easy as the Igo-W. If I can do it, you can do it.

Cheaper? YES! Maybe. Much cheaper than buying protank heads, but now I'm itching to try out a bunch of different RBA's, RDA's, and tanks. Oh my.

Good luck!
    Hah, I hope I can get the hang of it nice and quickly. I just placed an order for a Kayfun Lite+ and a bunch of different gauge rolls of Kanthal. Now I just have to order some silica wick but I'm gonna wait and use the wick that comes with the Kayfun and then some cotton until I need some juice because I don't wanna start spending money on shipping when i can just hold off a little and buy everything I need together.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well once you start to use cotton you won't be going back !
    Almost forgot the wire gizmo for under $10 from amazon is a must have , It makes coil building easy peasy !
    Last edited by second2none; 04-20-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Softrockstarr View Post
    Hah, I hope I can get the hang of it nice and quickly. I just placed an order for a Kayfun Lite+ and a bunch of different gauge rolls of Kanthal. Now I just have to order some silica wick but I'm gonna wait and use the wick that comes with the Kayfun and then some cotton until I need some juice because I don't wanna start spending money on shipping when i can just hold off a little and buy everything I need together.
    You will, and you'll have fun...no pun intended

Quote Originally Posted by second2none View Post
    Well once you start to use cotton you won't be going back !
    Almost forgot the wire gizmo for under $10 from amazon is a must have , It makes coil building easy peasy !
    I'll second the point on cotton...

And I just ordered the gizmo after I saw your post...neighbor!

Welcome Softrockstarr

PV Master ECF Veteran alisa1970's Avatar

Softrockstarr, all I can say is that I hope you have better luck with your KFL than I have had with my 3.1--it's giving me FITS. Building the coil is easy...wishing you better luck with yours!!

PV Exporer/Juice Saucier Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

That is probably the best clone available of the choices to be had. Personally, would rather have an Authentic Russian or kayfun. Hang on, that's right, I do have an authentic Russian. lol

Was my first rba, and have never looked back. Great place to start the rba trail. Make sure and check out the Micro Coils to increase Vapor, flavor & TH thread. Best way I know to become a competent builder.

Cotton is great to start out with, small learning curve on wick densities, but once one has the process down, very easy and repeatable great vape. Coils last for months, wicks sometime weeks. I use degummed hemp fiber now for all my wicking needs. Wicks better and lasts much longer than cotton, and is more heat tolerant.

Good luck have fun.

Vape long and Prosper!!!
    P.S.: the cat bites!
    Spot, I am not a Tree!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast