Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: So...What's the Skinny on Rebuildables?

Full Member ECF Veteran Softrockstarr's Avatar

Default So...What's the Skinny on Rebuildables?

Alright, so I think I'm finally ready to move up into the world of rebuildables and I'm thinking about getting this Kayfun because I've been getting really frustrated with my Protank/Aspire coils and tank systems. Now, I have a super basic knowledge about how these things work (basic meaning that I occasionally replace my wicks with cotton, I don't rebuild the coils or anything, just swap old wicks out until the coil gets super old and then I throw them out) but I was wondering what kind of resources everyone used to make this switch. Are there any really good resources (text posts, youtube videos, channels etc) I should check out to increase my knowledge on how to use these things before I dive in?

Lots of good videos on YouTube and posts here.
    Tasteyourjuice.com has a rebuild section that covers the kayfun as well as other atomizers.
    Softrockstarr and HazMatt like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member chanelvaps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Softrockstarr View Post
    Alright, so I think I'm finally ready to move up into the world of rebuildables and I'm thinking about getting this Kayfun because I've been getting really frustrated with my Protank/Aspire coils and tank systems. Now, I have a super basic knowledge about how these things work (basic meaning that I occasionally replace my wicks with cotton, I don't rebuild the coils or anything, just swap old wicks out until the coil gets super old and then I throw them out) but I was wondering what kind of resources everyone used to make this switch. Are there any really good resources (text posts, youtube videos, channels etc) I should check out to increase my knowledge on how to use these things before I dive in?
    Ugghh I feel you and I am at this point too. I have so many questions and not even sure what I am facing but I know its the direction I want to go in. Hate research!
    Softrockstarr likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

when getting into rebuildables like the kayfun (great choice btw) you also need to buy a larger mod then what your possibly using now. if your using an ego type battery now you most definitely have to move up to something like a provari or like vv /vw mod. also a basic knowledge of ohm's law along with a resistance reader/ multimeter. although these vv/vw mods will read resistances it is good practice to use and be knowledgeable with these devices. next is to watch some videos on micro coils and how to make them, also what type of wick you might prefer like cotton or silica. then its just a matter of watching loads of videos on building your specific tank that you ultimately buy. you also need some basic tools like some drill bits, I find the perfect array sold in HD, its in the hardware section and its made by dremmel, its a very small kit that includes like 6 drill bits ranging from like 1/32 to maybe 7/64ths. also a chefs torch is a great tool to have when making coils. maybe a syringe or 2 is also nice along with a few different types of tweezers. I found a kit of tweezers at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. then there is a couple of items kind of needed for cleaning, I have a silver polish which I use to keep all the contacts and mods clean along with q-tips. you will also need to purchase some batterys along with a battery charger. have I scared you off yet? I know it sounds like a lot but its fun imo and is really a hobby. good luck
    bce22 likes this.

ECF Veteran

I started out on a little igo-L dripper and fell in love with them. So easy. I have ordered a Kayfun Lite because it was recommended to me by so many wonderful people. I am looking forward to it. The YouTube videos are wonderful. Good luck to you and I would say go for it because there is always someone that will help you here. Welcome and happy vaping. I look forward to reading how you like that Kayfun.

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Phil has answers you seek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWrFsa6YOaE

Quote Originally Posted by vapdivrr View Post
    when getting into rebuildables like the kayfun (great choice btw) you also need to buy a larger mod then what your possibly using now. if your using an ego type battery now you most definitely have to move up to something like a provari or like vv /vw mod. also a basic knowledge of ohm's law along with a resistance reader/ multimeter. although these vv/vw mods will read resistances it is good practice to use and be knowledgeable with these devices. next is to watch some videos on micro coils and how to make them, also what type of wick you might prefer like cotton or silica. then its just a matter of watching loads of videos on building your specific tank that you ultimately buy. you also need some basic tools like some drill bits, I find the perfect array sold in HD, its in the hardware section and its made by dremmel, its a very small kit that includes like 6 drill bits ranging from like 1/32 to maybe 7/64ths. also a chefs torch is a great tool to have when making coils. maybe a syringe or 2 is also nice along with a few different types of tweezers. I found a kit of tweezers at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. then there is a couple of items kind of needed for cleaning, I have a silver polish which I use to keep all the contacts and mods clean along with q-tips. you will also need to purchase some batterys along with a battery charger. have I scared you off yet? I know it sounds like a lot but its fun imo and is really a hobby. good luck
    You haven't really scared me off yet. I do still use eGo's when I'm out and about but for the most part I use a VAMO V5 so I'm already okay with the mod/batteries/charger aspect. I know what I need to get, I'm just more confused about the actual rebuilding bit but everyone else has recommended some good stuff so I think I'm good now. I know there are youtube tutorials and stuff out there but not everything is reliable so I was hoping for some good tutorials that won't leave me confused and lost lol.

One question though, everyone: I'm assuming that once you invest in the actual parts and everything, using a rebuildable is eventually cheaper than using say, a protank or aspire system with replaceable coils? Am I right? I'm a little bit on the broke side and I don't wanna get sucked into using a system that I can't really afford.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Softrockstarr View Post
    One question though, everyone: I'm assuming that once you invest in the actual parts and everything, using a rebuildable is eventually cheaper than using say, a protank or aspire system with replaceable coils? Am I right? I'm a little bit on the broke side and I don't wanna get sucked into using a system that I can't really afford.
    I never really vaped the protank or likes so im not really sure. I do know that once you do buy the initial stuff like a couple of spools of different gauge wire, and like a bag of cotton your set for a couple years, also I do have a few vids on the kayfun but are sort of geared up to advanced builds but before Friday I will have a complete basic video on the kayfun, I will post it in this thread by friday
    second2none likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran alisa1970's Avatar

I got started by rebuilding my Protank and Evod heads. Rip Tripper has a really easy tutorial on wrapping coils (look for "rebuilding a Mini PT" video). I found that once I got comfortable with rebuilding those, RDA's and RBA's are way easy. I test them on my VV V3. So far (and I'm pretty new to rebuilding) I'm just playing with wire gauge and how many wraps makes the ohms I'm trying to get to.

I use an unmarked mini-screwdriver (seems to work the best) for building mine. I've heard people having really good luck with the coiling gizmo you can buy at Hobby Lobby, but I find that hand-wrapping isn't a big deal. I'm pretty proud of this one (came in at 1.8 ohm):

Softrockstarr and second2none like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast