Kayfun Cotton Micro Coil Dry/Burnt Hits Solved with Different Coil Gauge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kayfun Cotton Micro Coil Dry/Burnt Hits Solved with Different Coil Gauge

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default Kayfun Cotton Micro Coil Dry/Burnt Hits Solved with Different Coil Gauge

Got my first KFL+ and R91 a couple weeks ago, and have been building 1.8Ω cotton wicked micro coils with 6 wraps of 30 gauge on a 3/32" drill bit. I've been plagued with random dry/burnt hits. Flavor would go from fabulous to less to nil, and I would get burnt hits out of the blue, powered by Provari at 3.7 to 3.9 volts. The flavor drop, after a few hits, could be solved by the occasional dry pull, and the burnt hits could be solved by a dry pull (sometimes with finger over air hole) to get more juice into the chamber.

Since this clearly seemed to be a wicking issue, I tried every possible wicking configuration: less cotton, more cotton, medium cotton, longer wicks, shorter wicks, medium wicks, wicks on the channels, off the channels, on the side. Nothing worked.

Recently my spool of 28 gauge kanthal arrived and yesterday I decided to see if it would make a difference. I've built 1.5Ω coils with 10 wraps on a 5/64" drill bit, and have not had a single. burnt or dry hit. Occasionally I will get a slight drop in flavor after a few chain hits, but it quickly recovers. This is a blessing, because the worst thing about those random burnt hits was that they'd come out of the blue- yuck. The only indicator would be that I'd hear a sort of "after-burn" sizzle after releasing the draw. FWIW, I'm using just enough fluffy cotton to easily pull through the coil without tugging. My wick ends go straight down to touch the deck and curl under a bit, without blocking the channels.

So if any of you are using 6 wraps of 30G on a 3/32" bit and plagued with burnt hits and flavor issues, you might want to try the bigger 28G coil. I don't know why (more surface area?) but this has solved the problem and I'm a happy vaper

I used to also have flavor issues after a re-fill (bottom or top) but haven't refilled yet with these new coils. I'll post back after refill if I have any problems.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

If it works for you, I'm happy you found your solution.

All 5 of my Kayfuns are wicked with cotton and coiled with 30ga. some at 1.4ohm and some at 1.8 ohm.
    None ever give me dry/burnt hits.

28ga. is my preference on all my drippers.
    Last edited by crxess; 04-24-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Are your 30g micro coils?

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

The new 28g coils seem to also have solved the refill issues. Just did the bottom refill with no flavor change!

Quote Originally Posted by magicmyst View Post
    The new 28g coils seem to also have solved the refill issues. Just did the bottom refill with no flavor change!
    I've been getting dry/burnt hits as well and I am definitely going to try that build 2nite for my KFL+. Is your coil perpendicular to deck, or is it angled? Do u have a pic by chance? Thanks.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I just got one last week. I did the navy nest as my first build which is basically kanthal on ekowool. Do any of you know if you get more vapor on the microcoil? I attempted to do a microcoil first but it took me forever so I took the shortcut way and did the navy nest. But, thinking now I just want to trash it when my tank is empty and do the microcoil but wondering how the vape is.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by supersport13 View Post
    I've been getting dry/burnt hits as well and I am definitely going to try that build 2nite for my KFL+. Is your coil perpendicular to deck, or is it angled? Do u have a pic by chance? Thanks.
    Perpendicular. Sorry, no pics at this time. It's a classic micro coil build.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magicmyst View Post
    Are your 30g micro coils?
    Yes, I wrap around a 14ga needle
    Coil should have -0- to do with filling issues. It is not in the flow/fill area. Filling to full can cause issues. Vaping dry before filling can cause some issues. Vaping to soon after filling might cause issues.
    28ga can be a bit slower to heat up. This could change perspective. Especially for anyone that may take shorter draws.

See my blog for my build
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crxess View Post
    Yes, I wrap around a 14ga needle
    Coil should have -0- to do with filling issues. It is not in the flow/fill area.
    My wraps were on a 3/32" drill bit- different than yours. Clearly builds do somehow affect performance after refilling. I ALWAYS had flavor issues after refilling (bottom or top) with the 30G build. Don't know why, but I did. The experience I've described here is accurate. Yours is a different experience with a different build. Congratulations.

I've been using nothing but 28 ga coils on 3/32" raps from .8 to 1.9 ohms with not a single wicking problem including the one with the 4 channels instead of the duel channel as normal. I have 6 Kayfun clones by 4 different makers and 2 styles for one (Kayfun Lite+, 91% Black Russian). Love them all almost as much as my drippers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast