Question about quad coil
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gratefulbuddy

Thread: Question about quad coil

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Question about quad coil

Went to my local vape shop and there is a guy who works there that is experienced at making killer coils. I purchased an authentic Helios and asked him to throw a quad coil build on there.

From above it looks like two coils, one on each side, but I believe he used two strands of kanthal per coil. Does this make it a true 'quad coil'? it comes out to a little under 3 ohms. Any warmer of a vape and it would be too warm.

Is this a good build method compared to a build with 4 individual coils?

Question about quad coil-coilupload2222.jpg

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by betterthanyou View Post
    Went to my local vape shop and there is a guy who works there that is experienced at making killer coils. I purchased an authentic Helios and asked him to throw a quad coil build on there.

From above it looks like two coils, one on each side, but I believe he used two strands of kanthal per coil. Does this make it a true 'quad coil'? it comes out to a little under 3 ohms. Any warmer of a vape and it would be too warm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coilupload2222.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	329235
    haven't done any quads myself and technically not sure if they are considered a true quad but maybe he did them like that for airflow reasons. I think if you have just 2 side airholes this works better. as far as resistance both should be the same.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by betterthanyou View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coilupload2222.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	329235
    3 ohms on a "quad coil" means each coil is 12 ohms. If he used two strands it would just be a double strand coil... A quad coil is 4 separate coils.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I think that would be called dual parallel-coils
    Drizzledog likes this.

Zen Vaper Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbuddy View Post
    I think that would be called dual parallel-coils
    Yes...that is exactly right! Rip has a video on this. I was able to make a quite amazing single coil using this method and 30 ga. It came out to 1.5 ohms or so. Wanted dense vapor and good flavor without going into the sub ohm cellar. Its easier down there...more of a challange at higher res. and using std. VV/WW devices. But this coil was better than twisted..or barrels...or knuckles...or diamonds..or....

Moved On Verified Member

What would you call this.? One piece of wire on each side.. I like it is only 1ohm so it's pretty high for me but its OK, I like the wicking is easy and holds a lot of juice.