Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?

blueGrassTubb, thanks for the tip on the cleaning out the drip tip! That really helped in all honesty, I was getting a proper taste of the juice in my mouth (not the usual e-liquid peppery taste btw, just the flavouring), now that issue has been solved for me, so it is back to being all good.

As for the overly moist vape in general, I did end up solving it (well it worked for me), it was simply at matter of fine tuning the airflow control screw, doing little quarter turns until the sweet spot was reached. Vape is fantastic now, so much so that I have had to order a lower strength version of the juice.

Really don't know which clone I have, but it is from fasttech and arrived about 2 weeks ago.

Ultra Member Verified Member blueGrassTubb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleEwe View Post
    blueGrassTubb, thanks for the tip on the cleaning out the drip tip! That really helped in all honesty, I was getting a proper taste of the juice in my mouth (not the usual e-liquid peppery taste btw, just the flavouring), now that issue has been solved for me, so it is back to being all good.

As for the overly moist vape in general, I did end up solving it (well it worked for me), it was simply at matter of fine tuning the airflow control screw, doing little quarter turns until the sweet spot was reached. Vape is fantastic now, so much so that I have had to order a lower strength version of the juice.

Really don't know which clone I have, but it is from fasttech and arrived about 2 weeks ago.
    No problem!

It took me a couple of days to figure it out, but once I did all was well. I do it 3 or 4 times a day if I'm using one Kayfun heavily.

There are a couple of quirks with the Kayfun design, but once you figure them out it's easily the best vape I've experienced. A good amount of vapor (which shouldn't be confused with fog banks), and utterly amazing flavor.

Full Member Verified Member

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with different wire gauges, coil configurations, and amount of wick. I could be wrong, but here's what I think so far:

for thin juice, use more cotton
    for thick juice, use less cotton

For example, I used a juice which is pretty thick, and just a little cotton (slides back and forth with little resistance) works fine.
    I then tried the same wicking method with really thin juice and getting the same moist vape again.
    So then for the thin liquid, I make the wick as thick as possible (hard to slide back and forth, and needs to be twisted a lot to feed through the coil).

At 2ohms, what voltage are you pushing?

I find that the Kayfuns and Russian work best around 1 ohm.

.8-1.2 to be exact. Not as much condensation around the tip, excellent vapor production. I found this to be true, even with upped voltage to compensate.

Same watts output, different results.

Full Member Verified Member

Ok, here's an update on my Kayfun experimenting...

No longer having a too moist vape issue, now it's the opposite! No matter what I do (unless if I do a 1.3 ohm coil and set my Provari to 2.9 vots) I kept getting dry hits!

I figured, maybe it's the type of cotton I'm using. Initially I was using some random unknown cotton I picked up off a friend in a zip lock bag. Since that ran out, I've been using some Mansfield brand cotton which I boiled and let dry. I noticed the texture difference between this cotton and the cotton I got from a friend. The friends cotton seemed very dry and broke apart easy, while this Mansfield stuff seems very silky smooth. I thought that meant better quality, but it's probably less absorbent for some reason.

so....

today I picked up a bag of Swisspers organic cotton balls and Shiseido Facial cotton squares.

I haven't tried the Swisspers yet, but I just setup one of my Kayfun tanks (black) with the Shiseido cotton. For the first time, I used the fill port method instead of the top fill method also. It is wicking very well, I went right up to 4.3 volts on 1.3 ohms, and chain vaped with no dry hits. This liquid is very thin, and it is not too moist either.

I'm waiting for my other Kayfun to get empty and I will wick that also with the shiseido using a thicker liquid to see how that works out. Following that I'll refill both tanks using the Swisspers cotton. I'll keep you guys posted with my experimenting, but it seems that which cotton you use makes a big difference.

Now, I wonder this, how safe is it to use either of these cotton without boiling first?

Ultra Member Verified Member Jdbaker82's Avatar

I used to get the same wet vape in my Kayfun ever since I started wrapping twisted 28 Guage and triple twisted 32 Guage I haven't even noticed it happening anymore..... try that those are pretty easy watch rips twisted 28 and triple twisted 32 to see instructions

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Ahhh, in reading your post I think that you have inadvertently helped yourself.

I get problems using the top fill method as well, so I don't do it anymore.

With the top fill, I would get the random dry hits - the same thing I would get if I overfilled it. It's suspiciously like a vapor lock - the tank doesn't draw enough air to replace the juice.

I don't know why overfilling/top filling does this, but it does.
    Redacted

Ultra Member Verified Member

I didn't read the whole thread, but I struggled with wicking it. What I found out for me is to much cotton poor performance (moist, lacking flavor, etc.) to little and it burns up the cotton at the coil. It took me a few weeks to get it right.

What you want is just a little resistance when pulling through the coil, but not much. Put on the bottom part of the chimney, cut and leave about 1/8 sticking up. Take the tweezers and carefully push the cotton down into the well. I take the tweezers and more it around at the bottom to make sure there is plenty of room. Dab some juice before or after whichever is easier, put the top on and fill with your method of choice.

Hope this helps, it's a trial and error to get the right amount of cotton.

Good Luck!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Here is what I can tell you.
    Many people have a tendency to use too much cotton, or not enough.
    I also tried Silica, and honestly, it didn't vape proper.

There are video's and stuff to show this,, but I will just give you my Pics of my setup.
    This thing will wick like crazy. Works great. Try it.
    Don't Twist the cotton, just flatten it out a bit to a round shape
    twist the very tip to thread it through
    pull to center and cut to fit to the bottom of the deck right at the channels.
    It won't flood, and I do Top fill all the time.
    I had one flood issue and that was because I put too much juice at the coil wick.
    Do it the way I show it and then give it a couple of min to start wicking and it will.
    After that, no floods, no dry hits, top fill method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?-wp_20140622_17_12_19_pro.jpg   Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?-wp_20140622_17_23_05_pro.jpg  

Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?-wp_20140622_17_27_12_pro.jpg   Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?-wp_20140622_17_31_54_pro.jpg  

Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?-wp_20140622_17_32_21_pro.jpg  

That is a nice build. I just had too much bad luck top filling, unless i only filled it to the top of the barrel if the chimney.....so I would have to bottom fill in short order anyways.

How far do you fill it when you top fill?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Redacted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast