Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How many times can you recharge the 14500? 18650?

PV Master Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default How many times can you recharge the 14500? 18650?

I'm just wondering. My batteries seem to be working fine. How will I know when I need new ones, besides these going totally dead?
    FeistyAlice and Delilah718 like this.
    ~::Some girls were just born with glitter in their veins::~

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bmwjen View Post
    I'm just wondering. My batteries seem to be working fine. How will I know when I need new ones, besides these going totally dead?
    They will start to hold a charge for not a long as new. All the battery's have a estimated amount of charges. I will hunt around and see what I can find. What brand are you using.

I was using a set of Ultrafires 18650 for almost 10 months and finally had one start to drop off faster then the others. I was rotating 4 of them. now I am using the AW HD 18650 so I will be tracking that as well.
    Knight in the Brotherhood of the “Holy Mod Trinity”
    Analog free since March, 2010
    REO Grand #1, Wood REO, REO Mini, Supper Mini, REO Woodvil, VVW, VVG
    VV Mods: Buzz, BP & Infinity, VVPV
    Avejuice.com Havana Gold and BF-RBA, ERA, Challis

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Thank you for answering in my thread. I sorta thought I got hung out to dry at first when no one chimed in. haha

I know that I had spoke with someone on ECF that told me as soon as the light on the charger turns green to remove the batteries immediately. (because if you don't, they will lose power faster)

I also rotate my batteries, for the 14500 i've got:
    2 AW IC protected Li-ion 3.7V 14500 750 mAh
    1 Ultrafire LC 14500 900 mAh 3.6V (it's grey with black writing)
    2 Trustfire "high capacity without memory effect precise digital protection circuit built in" 14500 3.7V li ion 900 mAh
    2 AW IMR 14500 3.7V 600mAh ("the red ones" everyone talks about")

For the 18650's i've got
    2 Trustfire 18650 3.7V, 2400mAh
    1 Ultrafire XLS 18650 2600mAh 3.7V "rechargable battery with re/discharging protection circuit" (it's hot pink w/ black writing)

I hate to admit it, because i'm a fairly intelligent person, but I have no clue about mAH. I know it means milliamps , but how do mAh compare to voltage? Why is everyone so "OOOOOOOOOO" about the 5-6 volt mods? Do they produce a better vape, simply just burn juice faster? Also, I have a digital voltmeter thing that I can test atomizers with, but how can I test my Reo to see what volt i'm running at?

The batteries that work the best in the Reo mini, grand, and both of my woodviles are the "Trustfire". They seem to last the longest & give more vapor.

I honestly appreciate you responding on this thread, as i've been thinking about it all day, and even my husband couldn't really give me an answer. Ultimately i'm trying to understand the life expectancy of the rechargable li ion batteries, and how volts relate to mAhs.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Arrow

The red label AW IMR batteries are made with a Lithium Manganese chemistry instead of Lithium Cobalt (Li-ion), a more volatile cathode material with a higher resistance to the flow of ions, resulting in heat buildup. It is best to use Li-ion cells with separate built in protection circuit (PCB).

Advantages of AW IMR batteries:
    • Has much higher discharge rate of 10-15C (for 18650 cells that's 15-20 Amps output). It should be charged at 1-2C (1.5 to 3.0 Amps).
    • Higher 3.7/3.8V nominal, charging up to 4.2V
    • Won't explode or catch fire if overcharged or short-circuited

They work better with low resistance attys. If the PCB in a Li-ion battery fails to work properly, Li-ion batteries could potentially go boom.

5V & 6V vaping is fine too, but you have to use appropriate attys. I'd not go lower than 3.0 Ω myself. It's all about delivering the amount of wattage to your atomizer that works best for your preferences.

Check out the Candle Power Forums for loads of further info. I hope that helps.
    FeistyAlice, Delilah718 and bmwjen like this.

ECF Guru (Fusionman) Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I have batteries Ive been using for 15 mo. and I've always left them on the charger for all night or all day. The charges are smart chargers and stop charging when the batteries are charged. Another thing is Li-ion batteries deteriorate faster in the uncharged state than when they're charged.
    unsure, FeistyAlice and Delilah718 like this.

To handle yourself, use your head; To handle others, use your heart.

ECF Veteran

Jen, both the AW IMR 14500 and 18650 state in their specs that they are rated for >500 cycles which is why I prefer to use those exclusively. I have 6 18650's, for example in rotation between 2 REO's. Say you charge one of them every day. The specs dictate that it should last >more than 500 days (longer than that if your not recharging them every single day consistantly). The more batteries in your rotation, the longer they will last you.
    FeistyAlice, Delilah718 and bmwjen like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

gotcha, I think. Buy more AW-IMR batteries.

ECF Veteran

Yep, I rotate 13 AWs for 3 different 18650 REOs.

5 Black AW 2200 mah button top for the Grand
    8 RED IMR batts for the two woodvils.

I figure I am good for another year at least.
    Don't tell me there is "more than one way to do something" .... There is only one way to do something right .... My way!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    The red label AW IMR batteries are made with a Lithium Manganese chemistry instead of Lithium Cobalt (Li-ion), a more volatile cathode material with a higher resistance to the flow of ions, resulting in heat buildup. It is best to use Li-ion cells with separate built in protection circuit (PCB).
    Are these the Red Label AW's you were talking about? They are the ones sold by RTD, are they Li-Ion or Li-Magnesium?

Reo Grand - EA - Nemesis - MVP 2.0 - VV v3 - *** - KFL+ - Reomizer 2.0 - IgoL - IgoW

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiis View Post
    Are these the Red Label AW's you were talking about? They are the ones sold by RTD, are they Li-Ion or Li-Magnesium?

Those are the ones. They're Lithium Manganese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast