New hybrid atty instantly collapsed my spring.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New hybrid atty instantly collapsed my spring.

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default New hybrid atty instantly collapsed my spring.

I just put a new 1.5 ohm "hybrid atty" in my Reo Mini (14500 high drain batt) , primed it, waited for a few minutes & hit the button.

Instantly my battery spring collapsed. I opened it and it smelled like burnt electricity. It appears to have caused a direct short. Now my Reo needs a repair. My mini is months old & has run many atties. Frankly, it (and my other two) has always been a little beast, never a problem with any of em... But the mini's dead now though.

Did I do something wrong? Has this problem been reported before?

(I also asked this same question in the atty seller's subforum. Not quite sure which is the correct one.)

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I haven't heard of it before, but it can happen with any atty. You should always check a new atty with a multimeter and look at the centerpost before you put it on the first time.

As long as it didn't melt your firing button and nothing is catching when you press it, you only need to replace the spring. You can order one from the REO site, or you can send it into Rob.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran Rhapsodies Fire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt you did anything wrong....unless you over tightened it. This is a new atty and hasn't been widely tested on the REOs yet. We're testing one on a Grand. The few who have been using the hybrid atties have not reported a short yet. I'm sorry this happened to ya. Be sure to contact Rob about repair or replacement spring and button if you need one.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran redeyedancer's Avatar

I would like to see the mod and the atomizer .I haven't had a chance to look at the new atomizers yet but this is not a good sign.

jaz

I've got a 1.5 hybrid atty going on my Grand & so far so good. Actually, it's great! The first one I tried I somehow killed. After the first hit it died & I tried it on both Grand & Mini. I feel for you! What causes the battery spring to collapse? I thought that was a safety precaution for batts. Can an atty do that?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have been using a 2.0 ohm BF hybrid for almost 24 hours/6+mls of juice. The center pin on mine is quite high. I choose not to adjust because I have a Vmod coming (Vapage, same manu). I was not able to screw it in like most attys. Made contact and at most 1/8 turn more and I was golden.

So sorry this happened to you.
    Handle every Stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Pee on it and walk away.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

If you take the time to season well and then keep wet, these attys are awesome. A real game changer for bottom feeders with a catch well.
    Handle every Stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Pee on it and walk away.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran redeyedancer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaz View Post
    I've got a 1.5 hybrid atty going on my Grand & so far so good. Actually, it's great! The first one I tried I somehow killed. After the first hit it died & I tried it on both Grand & Mini. I feel for you! What causes the battery spring to collapse? I thought that was a safety precaution for batts. Can an atty do that?
    Yes & atomizer can short a mod. A short is caused when the positive and negative make contact ether the mod or the atomizer

jaz

Really good to know! Thanks, Rob!!! I'll be more cautious in the future. I haven't used the 2.0 ohm hybrid yet. I'd be happy to send it to you to test out.

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thanks all. I notice the center pin does stick out much further than any other atty I've seen. I bought 5 hybrids & they all look the same. I just checked & the atty does fire on my Provari. ??? (1.5 meters at 1.8)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast