Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: can't taste my juice

Ultra Member ECF Veteran BlueWater's Avatar

Default can't taste my juice

FeistyAlice likes this.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

"Both the development and maintenance of taste buds is dependent on nerve innervation. If the nerve innervating taste buds is cut, the taste buds degenerate, and do not reappear until the nerve reinnervates the tissue. It is not know how the nerve activates taste bud formation, and only specific nerves will regenerate taste buds. Cells within the taste bud have a limited life span of approximately ten days to two weeks. Therefore, new taste cells must continually differentiate to replace dying taste cells, and cells at a variety of different developmental stages are present within a single taste bud. In consequence, the synapses between taste receptor cells and nerves must constantly be remodeled. Several morphologically distinct cells can be distinguished within a single taste bud; these different cell types may represent different stages in the development of a taste cell."
    (Excerpted from: The Biological Sciences, State University of New York
    at Stony Brook, The Molecular Mechanisms of Taste Transduction and
    Taste Bud Development, by Susan McLaughlin, Copyright 2003)
    http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/neuro/mclaughlinsk.html
    Last edited by nerak; 10-23-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    FeistyAlice, Beans, Jeann and 3 others like this.

Stand up and be counted:
    REO ROLL CALL

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Wow Karen that's awesome. Thanks for explaining it so well!
    FeistyAlice and Jeann like this.

Red and Black Reo Grand, Baby Black and Silver Mini, Black oo, Black IPro with M1A1 Tanks and a Black and Silver Reo Grand in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nerak View Post
    "Both the development and maintenance of taste buds is dependent on nerve innervation. If the nerve innervating taste buds is cut, the taste buds degenerate, and do not reappear until the nerve reinnervates the tissue. It is not know how the nerve activates taste bud formation, and only specific nerves will regenerate taste buds. Cells within the taste bud have a limited life span of approximately ten days to two weeks. Therefore, new taste cells must continually differentiate to replace dying taste cells, and cells at a variety of different developmental stages are present within a single taste bud. In consequence, the synapses between taste receptor cells and nerves must constantly be remodeled. Several morphologically distinct cells can be distinguished within a single taste bud; these different cell types may represent different stages in the development of a taste cell."
    Many thanks, Karen. That's great info. Food tastes just fine though and that's what a lot of folks are saying in those threads so my taste buds aren't totally compromised. I just can't taste the eliquids. Actually they do have some flavor but they all taste the same...kinda like chewing on a cottonball...bleh Guess I'm gonna have to set down the REO for a while. This is gonna be tough!!
    FeistyAlice likes this.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWater View Post
    Many thanks, Karen. That's great info. Food tastes just fine though and that's what a lot of folks are saying in those threads so my taste buds aren't totally compromised. I just can't taste the eliquids. Actually they do have some flavor but they all taste the same...kinda like chewing on a cottonball...bleh Guess I'm gonna have to set down the REO for a while. This is gonna be tough!!
    When I switched to the REO from the KR808 I found that my juices did not have that same taste. I had been using just cartomizers. Then I was using atty's on the REO. All my juice has always been 100% VG. I know it is said that it will cut the flavor.
    What I found that worked was making my own juice. I found that 20% flavor would come through just wonderful in the attys.

Jeff, the only other thing I can suggest now is to take a sip of a drink right before you vape. It might at least relieve the cotton mouth feeling. If you have any vanilla or another liquid flavor you could put a little of that in your juice.
    FeistyAlice, Jeann and BlueWater like this.

Stand up and be counted:
    REO ROLL CALL

Thanks again, Karen! I very much appreciate your input!

I was wondering if VG might be part of it and I think you've put that worry to rest. It's not the dryness of a cotton ball that I was referring to, it's the taste of a cotton ball!...LOL I think I've just over done it. I've had a REO for what? One week? I've been pounding this puppy and I think I just need to back off some. At least, I hope so!

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Another thing is that quitting cigarettes can mess with your taste buds.
    See V6 A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I know with atomizers I loose the flavor and just taste atty after just a few hours. If I throw a clean one it it tastes great again for a few more hours. Thats one of the reasons I like cartomizers more now, I can go a few days on not loose the flavor.

I would say try a fresh atty or carto and a different flavor.
    6 REO Woodvils and 4 Mark Bugs Chalice attys ..... The best of the best!

PV GOD ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Another thing you can do while your taste buds are recovering is to vape some good menthol flavored juice. This will help you out until they heal. Or you can vape some cinnamon juice as well if you don't like menthol.
    Jeann likes this.

Thanks all! I can taste a wee hint of flavor this morning. Maybe a new crop of taste buds is growing so that I can slay them once again.
    nerak, lostknitter and Jeann like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast