Reo spring, how far will you go?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Reo spring, how far will you go?

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Exclamation Reo spring, how far will you go?

Robert chose to use a safety spring in all his REO's. What does this mean? If your REO has a electrical short the spring will collapse into itself. The collapsing spring drops the battery away from the contact and the circuit is broken. This action prevents further damage to your REO.

If the recommended batteries are used in your REO you will notice that you can push down on the top of the battery and compact the spring. While doing this notice how much play there is in the spring.

When batteries that are longer are used the spring is compressed too much. Sometimes so much that if you press on the top of the battery you can not compress the spring further. This choice of a longer battery will not allow the spring to move in case of a short. Your REO might face further damage.

I have bought a few REO's from the classy's that came with a battery. Upon arrival I would insert the battery and check for play in the spring. There have not been any besides the recommended battery that gave me a feeling of safety if a short would occur.

So, how much will the spring drop? Below are some pictures that show a fully functional spring and a collapsed spring in a REO.

I will add that pulling the spring back up after a collapse is not a good idea. Your spring will not function as a safety feature and collapse if you have another short.

Each of us make the decision on which battery to use. The question remains, how far will you go? What amount of room for the spring to collapse makes you feel safe?

Attachment 85019 Attachment 85020

VV Woodvil Prototype with batteries. Safe amount of play in spring.

Last edited by nerak; 03-16-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    lostknitter, ufo, Sacker and 11 others like this.

Stand up and be counted:
    REO ROLL CALL

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Some different batteries and the length.

Why do different batteries vary in length? It is due to the ohms of the battery. Higher mAh (proposed use time before charge) result in a longer battery.

Stand up and be counted:
    REO ROLL CALL

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran SammyT's Avatar

How can you call a battery that is 68 mm long an 18650? I would say more like a 18700.

-Sam

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Because the batterys we are using do not have ANSI or NEDA standards they must meet..
    Maybe this will help.. HDS Systems: Frequently Asked Questions
    SammyT likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Good thread - I was glad to read that the Panasonic's I just ordered are 65.2, so they should be just fine:

Panasonic Japanese made 2250mah 10A IMR battery. An AW Slayer?
    whatitstrue, SammyT and nerak like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I don't go very far at all. I've said before that I have one woodvil that has more room than all my others.
    If I use an AW IMR in that one it keeps falling out and I have to adjust it all the time.
    For that one I use the AW 2200 mah black button top battery and it still has a ton of room for the spring.
    The 2600 or 2900 mah are just too long for that one.

So I use RED AW IMR in all of mine except that one and the Grands. The Grands can accommodate the 2200 Black AW as well with room to spare.

Bascially when you pay the dough and love your mods as much as I do its silly not to get the batteries they are designed for.
    REOnaut since November 2010 ...... Still the best vape available almost 4 years later!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hitter View Post

Bascially when you pay the dough and love your mods as much as I do its silly not to get the batteries they are designed for.

Excellent point, Big, and right on the money Now let buy a bottle of Dom Pérignon and enjoy it with a BigMac

REO Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Very nice info Karen thank you

VVW Reo "Blaze", VVG Reo "Bling", Sexy 18490 Woodvil "Ebony", a Reo Mini,
    & a Reo Mini 2.0 all w/RM2's and Trippy Tips = Vaping Bliss

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by nerak View Post
    Some different batteries and the length.

Why do different batteries vary in length? It is due to the ohms of the battery. Higher mAh (proposed use time before charge) result in a longer battery.
    My understanding of things is that this is incorrect. The batteries differ in length because of the protection PCB in the LiOn batteries. As the pic clearly shows, the PCB adds another 2-3mm in length. The higher mAh is because they're LiOn; the LiMn don't have quite the same energy density - it's a chemistry thing.

For content: I don't go very far at all. My REOs run only AW IMRs. I do have the NiMH 5-ish volt batteries for my Grands, but when I run 3.7v, it's IMR's all the way. I still use the protected LiOns in other mods (VV, so they have their own protective behaviours), but because of the REO's greatness, they don't really get much use these days.
    washvap likes this.

PV GOD ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Awesome thread Nerak!!! A LOT of good info in here and hope that it continues to grow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast