Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Mod fuse

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yep, I collapsed a spring in my Grand last year- had to send it in- of course you can buy replacement springs but they are harder to deal with in a Woodvil- I visually inspect all of my connection ends especially when I take them off one mod and put them on another...sometimes weird things happen and the center post's gasket can bet dislodged, turn sideways and cause a short- rare, but I've seen this happen more than once.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Yep. If it had happened with my grand I would have fooled around with it to see if I could replace the spring with one of the spares I have here. Worst case scenario with that is I would have had to send it back to Rob in pieces to be put back together. But the woodville looked a bit more complicated to mess with.
    FeistyAlice and Jeann like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

It is- it would require some soldering....
    FeistyAlice likes this.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I bought a couple of these to try out. Do the springs look too compressed to you guys? One way they don't work is with the NI-MH batteries in the grand. They will fit OK in the woodville, however the fit is way,way too tight in a grand. I had to pry the NI-MH battery out of the grand with a spoon handle when the fuse was in it. They do fit in a grand OK though with the IMR batteries.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran SammyT's Avatar

Looks good to me, the whole reason for it is to keep the spring from heating up so it doesn't really matter if it's compressed. You could even replace the spring with any old battery contact that fits (not saying you should) . I wonder if it would fit with stacked rcr123a 3v batts. Or with an 18490 and kick, although the kick may have a built in fuse, idk.

-Sam

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by SammyT View Post
    Looks good to me, the whole reason for it is to keep the spring from heating up so it doesn't really matter if it's compressed. You could even replace the spring with any old battery contact that fits (not saying you should) . I wonder if it would fit with stacked rcr123a 3v batts. Or with an 18490 and kick, although the kick may have a built in fuse, idk.

-Sam
    Yeah, I was just thinking that if the fuse failed for some reason that the spring might still serve as a backup safety protection, maybe?

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran redeyedancer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by house mouse View Post
    Yeah, I was just thinking that if the fuse failed for some reason that the spring might still serve as a backup safety protection, maybe?
    You were thinking correctly I wouldn't use it with the 4.8v battery there is no give there at all
    FeistyAlice, house mouse and Jeann like this.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Will it fit with fit with rcr123a 3v batts?
    FeistyAlice likes this.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

i may have to get me a couple of these since Rob recommends them

A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon
    which our government was founded
    . Abraham Lincoln

REOnaut Forever Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by TennDave View Post
    Yep, I collapsed a spring in my Grand last year- had to send it in- of course you can buy replacement springs but they are harder to deal with in a Woodvil- I visually inspect all of my connection ends especially when I take them off one mod and put them on another...sometimes weird things happen and the center post's gasket can bet dislodged, turn sideways and cause a short- rare, but I've seen this happen more than once.
    I've collapsed several springs on Woodvils and REOs using the Resurectors. I replace the springs on the REOs myself; easy peasy, but yes, some soldering for the Woods. I have to send a couple of REOs to Robert (Queen Procrastinator has been saying this for months) so I'm sending the one Woodvil for Robert to replace spring that I could do myself but finding the stuff and finding time to do it is an issue. Then there's the other Woodvil that I collapsed the spring in when I literally soaked the Woods in Howard's and wax got into the Woodvil button and stuck it on. I didn't know it was stuck on until I put the battery in and then battery fell out and red hot collapsed spring..... and sizzled new IKV 801 atty. I'm sending those and a couple more in a med flat rate box so some savings there but if they were going individually, not including the repair charge, $9 for a protection chip will be a bargain! I just heard about them from Sterno tonight so I'm going to order three or four.

I haven't read the whole thread (really short on time) but I'll bet someone asked about the protection chip compressing the spring. My thinking is that the protection from collapsing spring is not needed with the protection from the chip.

Hugs and love, Feisty Alice
    Sterno and Jeann like this.
    Yes, women do suffer from PMS; Patriarchy, Misogyny, and Sexism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast