Hornet air hole/coil
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Hornet air hole/coil

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Hornet air hole/coil

Hello All,
    So, I have a question for you Hornet users.
    I might be getting too anal but i have found a slight difference in vapor and flavor when I have the airhole over the coil facing the inside of my REO ( button on bottom using thumb) vs on top ( button on outside using my index finger)! I'm thinking it's because the coil build on a Hornet is on the side vs. the middle like a Chalize or REOmizer. With the coil on the side the juice comes out on that side so with gravity taking over it flows DOWN ! If it's facing down it seems different then when facing up. I have experimented with my coils trying the coil with the feeder hole post on the right side then trying with the feeder post on the left side so when I thread it back into the REO the air hole is facing up on the outside so the jiuce feed will flow down and across the surface of the atty as you tip the REO to vape. It seems to produce more flavor and vapor than if the airhole/coil is on the inside thus not flowing across the surface and entire wick when tipped. None of this is an issue with the feeder hole and coil/wick in the middle like a Chalice or Reomizer.
    Is this question too confusing to follow? Does anyone relate to what I'm talking about or am I being too anal retentive????

OG Micro Coiler Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rudy4653 View Post
    Hello All,
    So, I have a question for you Hornet users.
    I might be getting too anal but i have found a slight difference in vapor and flavor when I have the airhole over the coil facing the inside of my REO ( button on bottom using thumb) vs on top ( button on outside using my index finger)! I'm thinking it's because the coil build on a Hornet is on the side vs. the middle like a Chalize or REOmizer. With the coil on the side the juice comes out on that side so with gravity taking over it flows DOWN ! If it's facing down it seems different then when facing up. I have experimented with my coils trying the coil with the feeder hole post on the right side then trying with the feeder post on the left side so when I thread it back into the REO the air hole is facing up on the outside so the jiuce feed will flow down and across the surface of the atty as you tip the REO to vape. It seems to produce more flavor and vapor than if the airhole/coil is on the inside thus not flowing across the surface and entire wick when tipped. None of this is an issue with the feeder hole and coil/wick in the middle like a Chalice or Reomizer.
    Is this question too confusing to follow? Does anyone relate to what I'm talking about or am I being too anal retentive????
    Rudy, in my experience with the hornet, if the airhole pointed down, the draw was tightened by the juice flowing up and obstructing the hole when ya tip it.

I built it with the juice post on the right when looking straight at the RBA. I put the coil on the side facing me. When I threaded it on my mini, the coil would be on the opposite side of my button. So I had to learn to vape from it button pointing down and air hole point up.

It seemed to vape very well. The differences you point out are little subtleties that can have a huge impact on the way the RBA vapes. I also noticed that juice came out of both sides of the juice post. That is a good thing because juice hits more of the wick.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun
    Ratman likes this.

VAPE IT LIKE YOU $TOLE IT AND WHEN IN DOUBT SQUONK https://www.youtube.com/user/sxmxdrifter

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by super_X_drifter View Post
    Rudy, in my experience with the hornet, if the airhole pointed down, the draw was tightened by the juice flowing up and obstructing the hole when ya tip it.

I built it with the juice post on the right when looking straight at the RBA. I put the coil on the side facing me. When I threaded it on my mini, the coil would be on the opposite side of my button. So I had to learn to vape from it button pointing down and air hole point up.

It seemed to vape very well. The differences you point out are little subtleties that can have a huge impact on the way the RBA vapes. I also noticed that juice came out of both sides of the juice post. That is a good thing because juice hits more of the wick.

Okay so I know now that I'm not losing my mind and there is a difference!
    The way you mentioned is exactly the way I have mine now with the air hole facing up and button down. Great minds think alike!
    Thanks for your input.
    JC Okie likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Hornet air hole/coil

Quote Originally Posted by rudy4653 View Post
    Okay so I know now that I'm not losing my mind and there is a difference!
    The way you mentioned is exactly the way I have mine now with the air hole facing up and button down. Great minds think alike!
    Thanks for your input.
    Any time boss. I also notice if a cotton wick is too long, it can possibly obstruct the airport. I have observed my oversize wicks floating up in liquid. Something else to keep in mind.

rudy4653 likes this.

VAPE IT LIKE YOU $TOLE IT AND WHEN IN DOUBT SQUONK https://www.youtube.com/user/sxmxdrifter

ECF Veteran

Air hole position does make a big difference in my experience/opinion. I am kind of bummed as my new to me Chalice does not line up properly. The air hole lines up with a side post so i can not get the proper air flow on it. Still vapes ok but not like it should.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Air hole position does make a big difference in my experience/opinion. I am kind of bummed as my new to me Chalice does not line up properly. The air hole lines up with a side post so i can not get the proper air flow on it. Still vapes ok but not like it should.
    I can't tell where mine lines up. I never even thought about that! I will say that my V1 had the airhole enlarged. I hated it at first cause it was loose as hell, then I came to really dig it. My V2 does not and after using the loose one, its like sucking a Wendy's frosty thru a straw. I contemplated using the V1 cap on the new base but have started to get used to it being tight.

What I deduce is that draw tightness is something you acclimate to very quickly, however, you can compensate for an loose draw by hitting the fire button a second before you hit it to give the vapor a chance to accumulate in the chamber and then draw really slow.

Ratman is dead nuts on - air plays a major role in vape satisfaction, and as we learn to adjust it or adapt to it, we increase vape quality. Patience is key. Don't get your drill / file out until you experiment or give time to adapt.

rudy4653 likes this.

REO Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I have my cap drilled out to 1/16" as well and always have air hole pointing up
    lazyymatt and super_X_drifter like this.

VVW Reo "Blaze", VVG Reo "Bling", Sexy 18490 Woodvil "Ebony", a Reo Mini,
    & a Reo Mini 2.0 all w/RM2's and Trippy Tips = Vaping Bliss

Registered Supplier

I favor dual air holes on opposite sides of the caps - a 1.3mm over the coil and a 1.0mm on the opposite side.
    JC Okie and super_X_drifter like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

After reading Ratmans post, I checked mine when I got home. The airhole on mine is pointing up when the REO button side is oriented down. That would put it close to the post, but as you can see in the pic, it lets the air flow unobstructed over the diagonal plane of the coil. If it were to line up between the posts, the air would probably be disturbed by the wick and sort of "jump" the coil (that would be ok if it busted a sic no no footed backflip or something) so i think that the fact that the airhole is close to the post is a good thing.

If I wanted to adjust the position, i would painstakingly remove an oring from an era/hornet (assuming they would fit) and slide it down over the threads then tighten the cap as much or as little as neccy to position the hole where wanted?

aa coilair.jpg
    JC Okie likes this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

With all this Hornet talk I can't wait till I get one from sweetheart Jan. I was about to buy one one but wasn't sure it would fit on my Teak Woodvil. Not the A7 or reomizer did so Im real excited to to find out and try it.
    super_X_drifter likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast