Which RBA for a Reo Grand - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Which RBA for a Reo Grand

  1. #11
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    clyde2801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the land of no hills and red dirt
    Posts
    4,039

    Default

    Is the reonewbie contest still open? I think it's got a chalice version 1 as top prize.

    Oops, the contest ended. My bad.
    Last edited by clyde2801; 04-04-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    "I've found that the sanest question I can ever ask myself is if I am going crazy; crazy people never ask themselves that." Jack Robbins
    I am the FIRST Reonaut. I never killed a mod that didn't need killin'. And when it comes to killing prototypes, I place my kill rate somewhere between Jeffrey Dahmer and Otis Toole.

  2. #12
    REOnaut Forever Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    FeistyAlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Near Dallas Texas
    Posts
    11,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Okie View Post
    I agree with Emris....the ERA is not really fiddly at all. And it's a good atomizer (IMHO). The Hornet is almost exactly like the ERA....just a little smaller and because of that it'll fit more of the REOs. And...both the ERA and the Hornet have a little tighter draw than the Reomizer if you do think the Reomizer is too airy. (I love the draw of the Reomizer and have reamed the air holes out of my ERA and my Hornet to get them to be as "airy" as the Reomizer, but each to his/her own.) I wouldn't even consider the A7....way too risky and short-prone. There are those (Alice - westamyx) who love the Killer 705, and I haven't tried it, but I think it's a little more complicated than either the ERA or the Hornet. You have to have non-resistance wire as well as the regular resistance wire which is just one more layer of complicated for me. But, I do hear they work really well....you should maybe read the Killer 705 thread. The new rebuildable that Rob is putting together is going to be half the price of either the ERA or the Hornet.....and I'm thinking it's going to be great. Rob's been burnt once, and I don't think he's going to bring another rebuildable to us unless he's confident that it's sturdy and reliable. He's really picky about what he wants to back.

    So......having said all that, MY personal opinion and recommendation would be to live with the Reomizer for a couple more weeks until Rob makes the one he's putting together available.
    Yes, Killer 705 is my absolute favorite. I have or have had Reomizers, ERAs, Hornets, A7s, A7 Minis, Surfaces, and Vision Eternity and several RBA tanks, some Genesis High End/High Dollar.

    Few things that make Killer/eBaron superior to ME:

    -The ceramic cup - hard to beat the flavor
    -The non resistance wire - I mean how hard is it to twist a couple pieces of NR wire onto pre ohm measured length of resistance before making coil???!!! And not having to rebuild a coil if ohms are not what you want because you use cheap multimeter and place one point on one end, after doing one end of NR attachment, and then move the other point of mm along the R wire to the point of exact ohm you want for coil and attach the NR wire there. No need for fancy join beads or crimping or soldering.
    -NR Wire - A major weak point in RBAs that use post holes with screws to tighten down on R wire is that the R wire becomes weaker and weaker over time from heat applied to it while being smushed by screw. That's one major thing that kills coils that break at point where screw smushes down on wire. This weakness does not exist for the ceramic cup using NR wire.
    -Weakness of post design - if you want to do a good coil torching to clean coil back to "new" and silica wick back to white if you do this on a post design you WILL eventually melt the positive post insulator!!!! Good luck locating a post insulator or even at all.
    -Ceramic cup for Killer and its big brother eBaron are common CE2 cups easily obtained from many vendors or vapers' stash boxes. I have several boxes of CE2 left over from my tank modding days in 2010; perfect fit

    The Killer is tiny and has loads of room to spare in smallest catch cup or well. It blind squonks perfectly. It is precision made and built tough like a REO. Very non fussy look and simple lines.

    I was into week five with original stock coil wick when weakest point, the NR wire that comes out and makes contact with screw threads on outside of base, the threads that accept the tiny screw on cap, finally broke from so much screwing cap on and off every single day. My juice gunks up any and all coils. I dryburn daily and give the whole thing a good torching every couple days. This brings coil back to virtually new, silica wick to bright white, and ceramic cup to bright white. I can dryburn and/or torch faster than anyone can build a coil and wick and install it and only tool I need is inexpensive chef torch if torching. Okay a small part of paper towel to first soak up excess juice in wick.

    Much more to say but out of time 3 hours ago.

    Did I mention I ordered another Killer and first eBaron Spiral (for larger REOs) from Greece? They are en route now. Main reason I'm keeping my anodized colors Hornet is they are so cute on all our colored anodized Mini REOs. That's #4 Killer.

    Killer was designed for 510 carto tanks so if you enjoy using a tank you can use your killer and never have to buy cartos again and punch them if you get non pre punched cartos.

    Oh yeah, you always run the risk of burning any o-ring, on most RBAs, that either holds the press on cap on and/or prevents leaking!!!!!

    And people believe Killers and eBarons are complicated or fiddly. These beliefs are only that; just beliefs and not based on reality. ( Will qualify this statement to say that non fiddly applies only to using as BF RBA or Dripper and not to Killer's use in carto tank.)

    Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FeistyAlice; 04-04-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Skipper2101 likes this.
    Yes, women do suffer from PMS; Patriarchy, Misogyny, and Sexism.



  3. #13
    Full Member Verified Member Skipper2101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    63

    Default

    ^x2.........
    FeistyAlice likes this.

  4. #14
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    clyde2801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the land of no hills and red dirt
    Posts
    4,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westamyx View Post
    Yes, Killer 705 is my absolute favorite. I have or have had Reomizers, ERAs, Hornets, A7s, A7 Minis, Surfaces, and Vision Eternity and several RBA tanks, some Genesis High End/High Dollar.

    Few things that make Killer/eBaron superior to ME:

    -The ceramic cup - hard to beat the flavor
    -The non resistance wire - I mean how hard is it to twist a couple pieces of NR wire onto pre ohm measured length of resistance before making coil???!!! And not having to rebuild a coil if ohms are not what you want because you use cheap multimeter and place one point on one end, after doing one end of NR attachment, and then move the other point of mm along the R wire to the point of exact ohm you want for coil and attach the NR wire there. No need for fancy join beads or crimping or soldering.
    -NR Wire - A major weak point in RBAs that use post holes with screws to tighten down on R wire is that the R wire becomes weaker and weaker over time from heat applied to it while being smushed by screw. That's one major thing that kills coils that break at point where screw smushes down on wire. This weakness does not exist for the ceramic cup using NR wire.
    -Weakness of post design - if you want to do a good coil torching to clean coil back to "new" and silica wick back to white if you do this on a post design you WILL eventually melt the positive post insulator!!!! Good luck locating a post insulator or even at all.
    -Ceramic cup for Killer and its big brother eBaron are common CE2 cups easily obtained from many vendors or vapers' stash boxes. I have several boxes of CE2 left over from my tank modding days in 2010; perfect fit

    The Killer is tiny and has loads of room to spare in smallest catch cup or well. It blind squonks perfectly. It is precision made and built tough like a REO. Very non fussy look and simple lines.

    I was into week five with original stock coil wick when weakest point, the NR wire that comes out and makes contact with screw threads on outside of base, the threads that accept the tiny screw on cap, finally broke from so much screwing cap on and off every single day. My juice gunks up any and all coils. I dryburn daily and give the whole thing a good torching every couple days. This brings coil back to virtually new, silica wick to bright white, and ceramic cup to bright white. I can dryburn and/or torch faster than anyone can build a coil and wick and install it and only tool I need is inexpensive chef torch if torching. Okay a small part of paper towel to first soak up excess juice in wick.

    Much more to say but out of time 3 hours ago.

    Did I mention I ordered another Killer and first eBaron Spiral (for larger REOs) from Greece? They are en route now. Main reason I'm keeping my anodized colors Hornet is they are so cute on all our colored anodized Mini REOs. That's #4 Killer.

    Killer was designed for 510 carto tanks so if you enjoy using a tank you can use your killer and never have to buy cartos again and punch them if you get non pre punched cartos.

    Oh yeah, you always run the risk of burning any o-ring, on most RBAs, that either holds the press on cap on and/or prevents leaking!!!!!

    And people believe Killers and eBarons are complicated or fiddly. These beliefs are only that; just beliefs and not based on reality. ( Will qualify this statement to say that non fiddly applies only to using as BF RBA or Dripper and not to Killer's use in carto tank.)

    Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    What say we meet near Gainesville and show each other our RBA's?
    Sterno, FeistyAlice and 215Z like this.
    "I've found that the sanest question I can ever ask myself is if I am going crazy; crazy people never ask themselves that." Jack Robbins
    I am the FIRST Reonaut. I never killed a mod that didn't need killin'. And when it comes to killing prototypes, I place my kill rate somewhere between Jeffrey Dahmer and Otis Toole.

  5. #15
    REOnaut Forever Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    FeistyAlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Near Dallas Texas
    Posts
    11,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
    What say we meet near Gainesville and show each other our RBA's?
    Would love to and you have to bring Scott. Maybe next Sat or Sun, a week. I have obligations this weekend and too much work to do so can't get to torching for a few days. Can deliver Scott's in person and give you that hug I've been asking him to give you, from me, for two years. eBaron will hopefully be in by then.

    Do you know good eat places in Gainesville where we can vape?

    Hugs, Feisty Alice

    Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    Sterno likes this.
    Yes, women do suffer from PMS; Patriarchy, Misogyny, and Sexism.



  6. #16
    REOnaut Forever Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    FeistyAlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Near Dallas Texas
    Posts
    11,550

    Default

    Btw... If I had the spare cash I'd order up a few extra Killers to have handy for REOnaught friends who discover they want one but have to wait until couple places that sell them get them back in stock. As far as I know they are still in stock at Greekvapes. I'm loaning one to Dan to try, LOAN ONLY..... NOT FOR SALE. I can't handle having more than one at a time away from home.

    I have a Surface and REO Mini loand out and I'm getting nervous as I haven't heard anything from person in several weeks. If they were eGo and A7 instead I wouln't lose much sleep.

    Feisty Alice

    Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    Sterno and JC Okie like this.
    Yes, women do suffer from PMS; Patriarchy, Misogyny, and Sexism.



  7. #17
    Proud REOnaut Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    JC Okie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    5,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westamyx View Post
    Btw... If I had the spare cash I'd order up a few extra Killers to have handy for REOnaught friends who discover they want one but have to wait until couple places that sell them get them back in stock. As far as I know they are still in stock at Greekvapes. I'm loaning one to Dan to try, LOAN ONLY..... NOT FOR SALE. I can't handle having more than one at a time away from home.

    I have a Surface and REO Mini loand out and I'm getting nervous as I haven't heard anything from person in several weeks. If they were eGo and A7 instead I wouln't lose much sleep.

    Feisty Alice

    Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes!! That would make me nervous, too! These things are like our children.
    FeistyAlice likes this.
    Using various REOs with various RM2s and LOVIN' it!



  8. #18
    Travelin' Man Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    PapawBrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Monroe NC
    Posts
    3,715

    Default

    The more I read about RBA's the more I realize I don't know squat
    FeistyAlice likes this.

    If You would Cry for Your Freedom, will You Stand for the Freedom of Another ?

  9. #19
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    clyde2801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the land of no hills and red dirt
    Posts
    4,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westamyx View Post
    Would love to and you have to bring Scott. Maybe next Sat or Sun, a week. I have obligations this weekend and too much work to do so can't get to torching for a few days. Can deliver Scott's in person and give you that hug I've been asking him to give you, from me, for two years. eBaron will hopefully be in by then.

    Do you know good eat places in Gainesville where we can vape?


    Hugs, Feisty Alice

    Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2

    Uh, no, not offhand. Shoot, it's in YOUR state!

    I'm almost wondering if we can delay it for a bit, put the word out.....and see who can show up. Call it a Re(o)gional Meet up.
    JC Okie likes this.
    "I've found that the sanest question I can ever ask myself is if I am going crazy; crazy people never ask themselves that." Jack Robbins
    I am the FIRST Reonaut. I never killed a mod that didn't need killin'. And when it comes to killing prototypes, I place my kill rate somewhere between Jeffrey Dahmer and Otis Toole.

  10. #20
    Resting In Peace Verified Member Gioajack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    I'll be getting into Ft' Worth the 3rd of May... have Sat. and Sun. off, the 4th and 5th.


    Jack

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks