Variable Voltage and Low Ohm Coils
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Variable Voltage and Low Ohm Coils

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Variable Voltage and Low Ohm Coils

I my love my VV Grand and the fact that I can set the voltage and get a consistent vape throughout the life of the batteries.
    I also love vapeing low ohm coils on the Grand.

My question is this. Why don't they design VV chips that can accommodate coils that are less than 1 ohm?
    RN4081-S/E-510-KR808-EGO-Riva-T-Rex-Wood Reo-JM 3ML-JM6ML-Mini Reo-Reo Grand-Reo Woodville-Reo VV Woodville -Reo VV Grand
    Vaping and Smoke Free since 8-19-2009

Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran pdib's Avatar

I think its just that they don't need to. Plenty of market for the (i assume less expensive to manufacture) present versions.

Also, tho, when you mix higher amp limitations with buyer's choice on batteries, your running a big risk. Something that has limits @ 2-3 amps isn't going to cause cheapo batteries to explode (very often).

Personally, I'd love to see that. Maybe a 10 amp limit.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The DNA will do 20 watts. Rob keeps talking about some new models coming. Maybe this is in the works?!
    FogHawg and gbacon like this.
    ​Squonk if you're Horny!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

love the idea of the dna-20 chip set, been waiting for this for a while. but these so far have only been put together in a box mod. a tube mod version is coming out, I believe its called the cyborg, and before buying a reo I was on the waiting list for one of these mods. but now im not so sure I would buy it for I like the reo more and find a tube mod a little less attractive. I would however purchase a dna-20 reo for sure.

ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(

Why do low ohms with the VV when you can up the volts with more coils give the same result with more vapor. More coils will give more heating area giving more vapor
    215Z and pmoraldo like this.

So, with the builds I've been doing lately, I guess I'm at about 32 Watts . . . . .

(That's putting my .5Ω coil in the calculator @ 4 volts, to compensate/round. Even @ 3.8v, it's almost 29 watts)

I guess I would still prefer the freedom of a mech. and a good battery. (call me old-school)
    gbacon likes this.

ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(

Quote Originally Posted by pdib View Post
    So, with the builds I've been doing lately, I guess I'm at about 32 Watts . . . . .

(That's putting my .5Ω coil in the calculator @ 4 volts, to compensate/round. Even @ 3.8v, it's almost 29 watts)

I guess I would still prefer the freedom of a mech. and a good battery. (call me old-school)
    I use my mechanical mostly so can relate in that respect but the OP posted "variable voltage and low ohm coils"

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    I use my mechanical mostly so can relate in that respect but the OP posted "variable voltage and low ohm coils"
    Which doesn't exist . . . . . . . so, . . . . . . . . . . I got half the topic? No?

I mean, someone mentioned the DNA20 going up to 20 watts, and I replied that 20 watts isn't enough. Perhaps I wasn't explicit, sorry.
    Statistic, JC Okie and rasci2 like this.

ECF Veteran

I mean, someone mentioned the DNA20 going up to 20 watts, and I replied that 20 watts isn't enough. Perhaps I wasn't explicit, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 20 watts is not enough. I don't think the DNA20 is the answer. What I would like to know is there an electrical reason why current VV Mods cannot use low ohm coils and why is there a wattage limitation.
    RN4081-S/E-510-KR808-EGO-Riva-T-Rex-Wood Reo-JM 3ML-JM6ML-Mini Reo-Reo Grand-Reo Woodville-Reo VV Woodville -Reo VV Grand
    Vaping and Smoke Free since 8-19-2009

ECF Veteran

The DC-DC converters used in the common VV and VW mods are mass produced for all sorts of things. They are usually amp-limited to 1.5 or 2.5 ampere.
    Now there are two types: The ones that pump up the voltage first and then hack it down to the selected voltage (These are used in mods that use a single battery) or those that can just lower the voltage, but not boost it (Those are used in mods with stacking batteries).

The type with stacking batteries may be able to put out the 30 or so watts you crazy people want, but the chip would be larger. The reason for that is two fold: efficiency of the chip and size of the internal printed connectors.

Those circuits have about 90% efficiency, which means that there will be >3 watts heat (at 30 watts) heating up the tiny little chip. That is a lot. Then, imagine a tiny wee little silicone piece that needs to control 30 watts with a printed connection smaller than a hair.

Rob might be able to tell more, but the VV REO chip might actually be able to handle a sub ohm coil, but I am guessing it is amp limited (and thus resistance limited) to warn about shorted atomizers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast