Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: My micro coil / cotton honest test run

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default My micro coil / cotton honest test run

First of all I have no ill will agains anyone that vapes any set-up and I appreciate that we can all find something to love.
    Second of all I think the REO lineup is the best APV available for durability and portability ..... but I firmly believe that there are dozens of device that can vape just as good or even better but thats a matter of taste.

Apparently my taste is not normal .... I guess ??

You may have seen me post before that I don't understand the micro coil cotton craze. Well I realized that I have not given it a fair shot because I'm vaping so many things through out the day it may not have gotten the time it deserved.

So at 5pm eastern it will be 48 hours of nothing but mircro coils / cotton for me.

Devices:

Chalice with 1.1 ohm on 2.1 mini
    Chalice with 1.8 ohm on VV Woodvil
    RM2 with 1.0 ohm on Woodvil (Had to go borrow back one of the RM2 attys I gave away)

Spoiler alert on verdict ..... at 5pm today will be the last time I vape a micro/cotton set-up.

I'm not here to slam anyone and I realize everyone has different tastes its just post after post of people raving made me want to give it a shot again. Heck if there is something better out there I want to experience it. The problem is its not better for me ..... not one bit.

I guess the thing that stands out the most is how the flavor produced from this set-up could be considered better than other things. For example things I think produce much better flavor than micro/cotton would be.

Well most anything not limited to but including ......

HH-357
    Any RBA with simple silica build
    Any Genesis with simple mesh/kanthal build
    Kayfun with silica
    Even Boge carto in the new ZenII carto tank.
    (All things I vape daily)
    Its been a while since I've vaped a vivi nova but I think thats included as well.

I just get a terrible taste from cotton .... always have and its altering the juice flavor big time.

I also don't get any indication that a micro coil simulates lower resistance at all. my 1.8 example I had to pump up to 4.7 or 4.8 to make it even doable. In fact I tried hard to get a 1.3 because thats what I vape my silica builds at. I did get there on the 3rd try with 30g but I would have needed VV for it to work. I had to go 1.0 or 1.1 to feel like my 1.3 ohm silica builds so for me its the exact opposite effect.

This next sentence may make me sound like an ... but her goes. What the heck were all you people doing wrong on your previous vapes that makes the micro/cotton seem so much (or any) better ??? I really wish I could get together with some of you and we could swap equipment and get to the bottom of this. Is it just a matter of taste or what?

I'm super stoked about the work all of you have done perfecting the micro/cotton set-up because it seems to be causing an influx in REO success lately. No one deserves all the success in the world more than Rob .... No one.

Well thats about all I can say I guess. I'm sitting here with my spool of silica at the waiting and I'm seeing my buddy Saturday night to return the RM2 to his arsenal.

My Sister is here tonight and we are having a 24 TV marathon (She's only seen season 1-3)

Beside me on my end table will be:

VV Cocobolo with Chalice at 1.3 ohms of 4 wrap silica greatness.
    Kayfun Lite with 1.5 ohms of slica yummy on my Zen Sidewinder mod.
    Zen genesis with 1.2 ohms of 400 mesh /28g awesomeness

3 of the best vapes I have ever experienced ......... Weird huh ??

One REO loving Odd Duck signing off
    6 REO Woodvils and 4 Mark Bugs Chalice attys ..... The best of the best!

OG Micro Coiler Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default My micro coil / cotton honest test run

Tim, glad you put it thru its pace bro. I know they don't work as well for everyone, but I would like to see pictures of your builds. Many people in the RBA threads post pix of what they think are micros and they are megas

Something could be wrong what kinda cotton did ya run?

I bet If it looked like this you'd be picking your dingdong up out of the dirt right now

Sorry it didn't work out for ya bro.
    Last edited by super_X_drifter; 07-19-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    JC Okie, pdib, FogHawg and 6 others like this.
    VAPE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT AND WHEN IN DOUBT, SQUONK.

REOnaughty Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

curious to know more about your builds
    Last edited by Statistic; 07-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.

REO Grand - Paying Homage with my Ohmage

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It's funny how different folks have completely different perceptions about this kind of stuff. I have just the opposite experience.
    For me:
    Mesh in a genny = odd metalic taste (could be psychological)
    Silica and Ekowool = not bad all round except for scratchy throat
    Cotton (not yarn) with micro = the perfect storm of vtf and convenience of threading through a micro.

I say, whatever works and floats someone's boat = off analogs and loving it.
    "Asante Sana! Squash banana! We we nuga! Mi mi apana!"

ECF Veteran

I really think its a matter of taste. I honestly could never get the micro to my liking on the Grand, no matter the resistance. I have been rocking micros at 2.2Ω/5V on the VVGs for the last couple of months ( I remember trying these out, discussing here with Russ back in March while I was on a business trip)- absolutely the best vape in my experience. Strange as it sounds I could never replicate the experience on the Grand.

And no matter how many people sing the praises of bamboo thread, it still tastes like crap to me. Rolled cotton and organic cotton balls can't be beat in my book.

But thats just me. What really matters, and whats so fantastic about this place, is that there is something for everyone. Don't like cotton, try silica. Ekowool not your thing, go SS mesh. Whatever floats your boat, and keeps you from putting another nail in your coffin.

Reos/RM2's/Cotton/DIY

ECF Veteran

FWIW - I had the exact same experience w/cotton until I started using less of it. With cotton I found that what I thought was the right amount (inside the coils) was actually way too much.

ECF Veteran

I've been using Crochet Cotton that I boiled. It vapes fine, but had a taste that I wasn't crazy about, too sharp?? bright?? Not sure how to describe it. Last weekend I was at Michaels, and they had 100% Viscose Bamboo. I bought it and tried it and within 30 minutes had all my wicks changed out to the Bamboo. I really like the flavor I'm getting much better than the cotton thread. Like above, what ever gets you the flavor you like is the best.

REOnaut Forever Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

And someone(s) did mention that some juices shine with rolled cotton but others s/he uses are better with other type wicking.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, women do suffer from PMS; Patriarchy, Misogyny, and Sexism.

ECF Veteran

Yes, what juices are you vaping? I find that makes a big difference.
    super_X_drifter and Vapolith like this.
    ​Squonk if you're Horny!

OG Micro Coiler Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Tim check out this video from a genesis dude we recently converted to micro coils

Look at them clouds bro

Micro Coil for the RBA on your REO
    Micro Coil for the RBA on your REO
    Vapolith likes this.
    VAPE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT AND WHEN IN DOUBT, SQUONK.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast