Reo Mod - Modding for improved flat top battery firing pin contact - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Reo Mod - Modding for improved flat top battery firing pin contact

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Pdib, Thanks for posting pictures and for providing the link to your thread. Yea I would agree that it would be foolish to use your mod. Loose metal in a device is not a good idea. BTW, my mod is performing flawlessly with flat tops. While it still early to tell the longevity before oxidation kicks in, I have no issue currently (In fact, I actually pick up a whopping .05v).

I am gonna keep my mod in place until my flawless new AW IMR18650s come in. I aint putting my reo down to wait for the mailman.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

[QUOTE=pdib;10296746]REO+SUBΩ+the WRONG batteries = maybe not so good.

that's the thread. Here's a couple pics of the thing in place.

That's what you should name it, "The Thing"...... cause it's gonna get you if you're not cautious!
    super_X_drifter, pdib and malkuth like this.
    "Asante Sana! Squash banana! We we nuga! Mi mi apana!"

Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran pdib's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gdeal View Post
    Pdib, Thanks for posting pictures and for providing the link to your thread. Yea I would agree that it would be foolish to use your mod. Loose metal in a device is not a good idea. BTW, my mod is performing flawlessly with flat tops. While it still early to tell the longevity before oxidation kicks in, I have no issue currently (In fact, I actually pick up a whopping .05v).

I am gonna keep my mod in place until my flawless new AW IMR18650s come in. I aint putting my reo down to wait for the mailman.
    Well good. I know I'm not using it. fun to play, tho. Glad yours is working well
    gdeal, super_X_drifter and malkuth like this.

ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(

It just dawned in me the copper foil thingamajigger is probably ok until you get a short. If a short happens then the spring will collapse allowing the battery to fall and finally letting the copper foil fall down on the battery and creating a short to the mods body.
    pdib and malkuth like this.

Yep, I thought of that, among other things. go on back up the thread, and take a look at my posts.
    Last edited by pdib; 08-05-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    malkuth likes this.

ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(

Quote Originally Posted by pdib View Post
    Yep, I thought of that, among other things. go on back up the thread, and take a look at my posts.
    I likely read it but have a mind like a sieve or maybe it's stainless mesh I dunno but sometimes things fall out
    Vash, pdib and malkuth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    I likely read it but have a mind like a sieve or maybe it's stainless mesh I dunno but sometimes things fall out
    well, that's not all that fell out. I did a bit of editing earlier.
    Last edited by pdib; 08-05-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    supertrunker likes this.

Hey gdeal, I appreciate your post on this little mod! I too have a great deal of money invested into flat tops. I also understand the risks in modding the original design. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction to get the copper used in this mod. I love my reo but can't invest in getting the recommended batteries right now as it would lead to my immediate castration by my wife considering my frivolous vapes spending recently. Lol!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Keller View Post
    Hey gdeal, I appreciate your post on this little mod! I too have a great deal of money invested into flat tops. I also understand the risks in modding the original design. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction to get the copper used in this mod. I love my reo but can't invest in getting the recommended batteries right now as it would lead to my immediate castration by my wife considering my frivolous vapes spending recently. Lol!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Another ECFer sent me a small blank of .2 thickness copper. This idea of modding the firing pin was bit ad-hoc and early in the thinking on how to lower Reo vdrop and improve firing pin contact.

pdib posted on a more elegant solution using a brass feeler gauge (widely available) to replace the entire firing pin. Its here in the Reo sub-forum. I just cant find it right now for some reason.

BTW, Rob should be launching an upgrade soon, which will address this as well.
    malkuth likes this.

I saw both copper and brass at .005" in an art supply store this weekend.

Copper is so maleable. As an experiment, a while back, I stripped a short length of copper wire (this was 14g romex, but 18g automotive would do the trick); pounding it with a hammer to flatten it, and then sanding it to an even thickness and to clean it up. (pounding it makes it fairly rigid, heating it makes it soft. I wouldn't use copper alone, but do something like what gdeal did. You'd want to rely on the SS for "spring" qualities)

There's two threads with info that I've contributed. Here's darkzero's thread, I think my brass sheathed pin is ~pg3

A dz mod :)> ....Ok pdib too
    element77 and malkuth like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast