What's the difference in the gauge of coils?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: What's the difference in the gauge of coils?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Default What's the difference in the gauge of coils?

Is the lower the gauge the cooler the vape is? I heard mentioned in a review someone said something about a 30 gauge vaping too hot. Is this true? I like a cool vape, I don't want it to be warm. I want a .9-1.0 ohm vape but without being too hot.
    malkuth likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Is there a specific gauge you guys would recommend on your RM2's? In most of the reviews I saw they were using 27 or 28 gauge.
    SeaNap likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It all depends on how you set it up. Lower gauge = less resistance but the vape is determined by wire gauge, coil build/positioning, air flow, and wicking. All of these things will have an effect on the vape it produces.
    SeaNap, MamaTried, Vwls and 1 others like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Cptfunpants View Post
    Is there a specific gauge you guys would recommend on your RM2's? In most of the reviews I saw they were using 27 or 28 gauge.
    28ga is pretty versatile. You may want to pick up some 28 and some 30 and see which you prefer.
    SeaNap and MamaTried like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Here ya go: RBA's and selecting the RIGHT WIRE

If you like cooler vape than you will want a higher resistance coil, say 1.5 - 2.5 ohm wrapped with 30 - 32 awg. The lower you go in resistance (thicker the wire which is lower in gauge) the higher the watts, which translates to a warmer vape.

Do you have VV or a grand?
    super_X_drifter and Vwls like this.

Toot, Toot, Squonk Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a veteran to Reo (only 3 days in, lol). That said, I also prefer a "cooler" vape. I find w/ the RM2, 28ga @ 1.2-1.3ohms is not hot at all. Well, it IS, but it is smooth and luscious; no "hot" or "harsh" going on. I haven't gotten a coil w/ 30ga to meter less than 1.8ohms (or to give a satisfactory vape for my taste). If you're aiming for ~1.0ohm, might as well get you some 28g or 27g. Just my experience with NON micro coils, those gauges should get to your target resistance.

ETA: And as others have stated already, 30ga is always a versatile size as well. We all coil differently (i.e. one person's 6/7 wrap 28ga can be the same resistance as another's 30ga 6/7 wrap).
    Last edited by Hypatia; 02-04-2014 at 04:17 AM.
    SeaNap, JC Okie and malkuth like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

28 is a nice balance between size of the wire and ohm range of a 6 to 11 wrap coil. It also relatively easy to get good coils with, a good beginners ga. With 28ga you can control the coolness of the vape by changing the ohm of the coil and the amount of air flow over it. I've used 28 to go anywhere from .6 ohms to 1.3 ohm coils. I seem to like about .96 ohms. when I use 30 ga it's typically two of the wires twisted together to keep the ohms low.

Reo Woodvil, Woodvil 18490, LP Grand, SL Grand, Mini, RM 2 & 4, Pdib Sumpin, Nuppin, Chalice II & III, Cyclone, Divo, Apollo, ReadyxWick

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Also if you like a cooler vape, you may also like a reduced Throat Hit. To reduce the TH place the coil lower than the air hole.

Are you using an RM2?
    super_X_drifter and malkuth like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaNap View Post
    Here ya go: RBA's and selecting the RIGHT WIRE

If you like cooler vape than you will want a higher resistance coil, say 1.5 - 2.5 ohm wrapped with 30 - 32 awg. The lower you go in resistance (thicker the wire which is lower in gauge) the higher the watts, which translates to a warmer vape.

Do you have VV or a grand?
    I do not have either yet. I WILL be however getting a grand.
    SeaNap and malkuth like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

probably many herecan answer your question better than I can.

To me. the lower the ohms of your coil the warmer the vape. As the gauge of the wire, it will only change the number of coils need to achieve the ohms you want to have.

.9 to 1.0 ohm coils is not really a cool vape, but not warm either. I find handmade coils vape cooler than store bought coils in a cartomizer or atomizer. make a 1.5 ohm coil and compare it to a manufactured coil at 1.5 and see if its the same or different to your taste.

I use 28 gauge wire, 3 coils give me .6 ohms, 4 coils meter .8 ohms and 5 coils made a 1 ohms coil.
    to my taste .6 is warm .8 is warm too. 1.0 is cool to my taste. this could be totally different to you.

you'll need to try and try till you find exactly want you are looking for.
    SeaNap and malkuth like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast