Coil Diameters - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Coil Diameters

Super Member ECF Veteran armyofskittles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DexO View Post
    Go to the hardware store and get a #6 machine screw. Then roll the 32 gauge between the threads. 4 coils will give you about 1.9ohms.
    I wrap strictly micro coils. However I occasionally experiment with coils in my igo

-Sent from outer space using DNA20 and Kayfun Lite
    Lethalp likes this.

Tried even smaller coils @ 1.5 but it was dual coils 32 Awg. Turned out good. Onto bigger coils next. I guess this thread died eh?

Stricktly using 28g wire on 1/16th drill bit for a while. Solid vapor and flavor, just the right throat hit. It's been a long road with a lot of coils and testing but I think this is my go to coil until I get motivated to try this again

Moved On
    Blog Entries

I would LOVE to know the results of this experiment. Have considered doing it myself, but I only have a 1/16th, a 5/64th drill bit and a 20 gauge needle that I use for coil builds. Not really a large enough sample size to get solid results.

OG Micro Coiler Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Coil Diameters

I have wrapped many different diameter coils. The largest being around 1/8" with 4 wraps and the smallest being around an 18 ga needle with 15 or so wraps.

I have found the best setup to increase VTF to be a proper micro coil - 10-13 tight / touching wraps around a 1.4mm to 1.6mm mold / jig / mandrel with a rolled cotton wick. My jig size of choice these days is .055". I suggest 1/16" - it's very close.

Any larger than 1/16" and the traits of the micro diminish, any smaller and it's a pain to wick. I wick thru the center of the coil because it suits my vape style.

I suggest using the size wire to hit your target resistance in 10-13 wraps. For 1.5 ohms I use 28 ga. For 2 ohms I use 30 ga.

A proper micro coil has the surface area and concentrated heat to make quick work of vaporizing eliquid

Here's a pic of my typical 28 ga build:
    muzichead, Lethalp and m30r like this.

VAPE IT LIKE YOU $TOLE IT AND WHEN IN DOUBT SQUONK https://www.youtube.com/user/sxmxdrifter

Quote Originally Posted by super_X_drifter View Post
    I have wrapped many different diameter coils. The largest being around 1/8" with 4 wraps and the smallest being around an 18 ga needle with 15 or so wraps.

I have found the best setup to increase VTF to be a proper micro coil - 10-13 tight / touching wraps around a 1.4mm to 1.6mm mold / jig / mandrel with a rolled cotton wick. My jig size of choice these days is .055". I suggest 1/16" - it's very close.

Any larger than 1/16" and the traits of the micro diminish, any smaller and it's a pain to wick. I wick thru the center of the coil because it suits my vape style.

I suggest using the size wire to hit your target resistance in 10-13 wraps. For 1.5 ohms I use 28 ga. For 2 ohms I use 30 ga.

A proper micro coil has the surface area and concentrated heat to make quick work of vaporizing eliquid

Here's a pic of my typical 28 ga build:
    Thanks for the heads up, even a 1/16th coil is a little tough to wick for me. I'm using sugar and cream cotton yarn boiled. I wick through then coil on my rdas, bout externally on my kayfun. Still sticking with the 1/16th in my rda but can probably go smaller in my kayfun, but I don't want to use 30g to get my desired ohms, I prefer the durability of the 28. It makes a big difference for me.

I'll be going nowhere but down in diameter from here, though. as I feel 1/16th is the smallest I want to go for coils with wicks going through them. Still need time to experiment. next coil in kayfun will be smaller

super_X_drifter likes this.

Sticking with 1/16th still. Only reason I can think of to go bigger is thicker juices... Maybe.

m30r and super_X_drifter like this.

So if your running 10+ wraps around a 1/16" drill bit. I take you guys are using 28g? If I tried that with 32g kanthal wire, I'd end up with a 4ohm joke. ;-/ Is that correct?

I found this here... That coil spreadsheet looks to be very helpful. Should be a sticky!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...30-higher.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

Yea trying to fond 26 though

-Sent from my DNA20 through my Kayfun Lite

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast