Coil Diameters
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Coil Diameters

Super Member ECF Veteran armyofskittles's Avatar

Default Coil Diameters

Before I go off wasting a bunch of supplies does anyone know if the diameter of you coil can change throat hit, flavor, and vapor? Example.. does a 1.5 ohm coil wrapped on a 1mm drill bit perform the same as a cl1.5 ohm coil wrapped on a 3mm (hypothetically speaking) drill bit??

-Sent from outer space using DNA20 and Kayfun Lite
    Snapdragon and gchirki like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Great question. I just received a KFL+ today and was planning to micro-coil it using the same threaded screw for wrapping as I aways do for RDAs. Its fairly small and I've wondered if a larger one with the capacity for a bit more cotton might make a positive difference.

Hope someone(s) will share their experiences/results/conclusions.
    Analog-free since March 27, 2013! The Best Is Yet To Come. If it's pretty .... I want it!
    ProVari x4, Roller, Omega, Ikarus V2.1, Vanilla, Valkryrie, KFL+ x5, Poldiac Hoey V2, Taifun x2, ZNA, Cyclone BF, RSM Cruiser

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

from my limited experience on this subject i can say i dont think it makes much difference. I have tried small and large coils in my dripping attys and i dont see a noticeable difference. Logically i would think that the only difference would be from a very small to medium coil because of the amount of wick inbetween. the coils i make wrapped around 5/64 and 3/32 diameter nails dont seem to have any difference between the vape quality or quantity. That being said, there is a difference between spacing your coils evenly and tightly wrapped microcoils. I have found microcoils are way better for vapor and flavor. I am curious to see other's opinions on this subject though. Good thread.
    Snapdragon likes this.

I feel like having a smaller diameter coil would perform better because there's more surface area for the coils to produce vapor but with that you can't use as much wick so you wouldn't get as rapid wicking as a slightly bigger coil. But I'm fishing for more opinions

ECF Veteran

seems to me that 1.5 ohm large coil and 1.5 ohm small coil would have the same surface area. The only difference being the amount of wick in the middle of the coil. Same length of kanthal = same surface area assuming the wick is touching the coil throughout. But like you i am anxious to hear other opinions
    Last edited by gchirki; 12-03-2013 at 03:58 AM.

ECF Veteran

this makes me want to set up a small experiment with 5 different size coils on the same type atty

Nice thread.. Waiting others to throw opinions..

Sent from my SM-T315 using Tapatalk

Senior Member ECF Veteran nostinkies's Avatar

Inquiring minds want to know............

Full Member Verified Member DexO's Avatar

Go to Ace Hardware and get a #6, #8 and a #10 machine screw. Wrap your coils around their threads and experiment. The screws will cost maybe a $1 for all 3. Get an Ohm meter like THIS one to check out your coils. Kanathal wire is is like $1.50 for 3 feet so experiment. I ordered the 28, 30 and 32 gauge. I also got this to see the coils because the threads are tiny.

That is $15 well spent and when you report back, others will learn from your experiments!

Quote Originally Posted by gchirki View Post
    seems to me that 1.5 ohm large coil and 1.5 ohm small coil would have the same surface area. The only difference being the amount of wick in the middle of the coil. Same length of kanthal = same surface area assuming the wick is touching the coil throughout. But like you i am anxious to hear other opinions
    I know they technically have thensame surface area, but you're getting more length wise surface with a small coil which makes me think there could be a difference

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast