Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people in the USA use e-cigs?

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default How many people in the USA use e-cigs?

Anyone have an idea how we could find out or get a good guess on how many people in the US smoke e-cigs. & how many cigarettes have not been purchased. I think if we could get close we might see why the FDA is being pushed to ban them.

2. Advertisement

I was reading some news articles on e-cigarettes yesterday. One that came from earlier this year estimated there was around 300,000 e-smokers. Unfortunately I can't link the article and I have no idea how accurate that figure really is.
    Currently vaping Boba's Bounty on a ProVari Black with a ViVi Nova

Thats about $12,000,000.00 in lost Taxes. Not a lot to this bunch.

A report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention finds that one-fifth of Americans -- about 46 million -- are still smoking. That number actually increased slightly from 2007 to 2008. The report appears in the Nov. 13 edition of the CDC's Morbidity and Morality Weekly Report. Currently it is estimated that 1 in 40 smokers are now using the e-cigarette as an alternative and the trend is growing at a phenomenal speed.
    Press Release - The Electric Cigarette Gains Approval In Many Hospitals As Debate Continues

I'm tired lol, how many is 1 in 40 out of 46 million?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

1,150,000 People...
    Ubuntu is an African word meaning, "Slackware is too hard for me."
    jky306=>901=>510=>Anti-Fruity-Apple CHUCK=>ProdigyV2(x2)=>ProdigyV3.1 (1st gen, side logo?)
    Smoke free since 7/28/2009.
    - THE 86'd

ECF Guru (Fusionman) Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

That comes up to 1150000 people but you forgot it's not only the taxes it's also the big tabacco co. that's also losing dough. They don't like that very much.

To handle yourself, use your head; To handle others, use your heart.

Super Member ECF Veteran

That would be about 1.15 million. I think that's an over estimation as press releases are want to do. I seem to recall a report from last week that stated 800,000 Americans are currently using E-Cigarettes. That's alot. Hope they find these forums bit then we're gonna need bigger servers.

5 Card... posted at the same time. I'm not sure that it's so much BT as they would have a niche into this community. I remember reading that Phillip-Morris was negotiating with one of the big Chinese manufacturers at one point. It seems to be on again, off again. E-cigs would dovetail into their other tobacco alternatives.

I think that the Pharmaceutical companies have much more to lose as the reduced risk products such as e-cigs gain popularity. Why buy a patch, losenge or inhaler at ridiculous mark-ups when one doesn't have to.
    Last edited by lonercom; 04-12-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Thats about $46,000,000.00 Think we got there attention. Now they will get out the big guns.

My cal. err out so I did it by hand... $2,300,000,000.00 Thats mor like it. M/L

Super Member ECF Veteran

$2,300,000,000.00 taking into consideration an average of how many cigarettes a day, and for what period of time?

There are alot of minute variables involved if you want to find out exactly how much big tobacco companies have suffered as a loss. Even still, we can get a rather rough estimate using only a few points of refrence.

Variables:
    How long has "x" been vaping?
    How many cigarettes had "x" smoked before switching?
    How much was "x" paying for a pack of cigarettes?
    Does "x" still smoke cigarettes sometimes?

I might attempt to compose a poll about this, somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast