Making a Passthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Passthrough

Default Making a Passthrough

Hey all I was wondering if anyone had good instructions as to how to make a usb passthrough for a dse103/rn4081 atty...
    I have a dead battery and a usb cable, just need to know where to go from here.
    also, i didn't know whether it is harder to make a automatic instead of a manual. i'd prefer auto but i'm really not that picky, just lookin to mess around lol

PV Master ECF Veteran Jim Davis's Avatar

Here's one I made for $3.00. Fitted with the RN4081 Atomizer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making a Passthrough-manual-rn4081-passthrough.jpg  

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by callousparade View Post
    Hey all I was wondering if anyone had good instructions as to how to make a usb passthrough for a dse103/rn4081 atty...
    I have a dead battery and a usb cable, just need to know where to go from here.
    also, i didn't know whether it is harder to make a automatic instead of a manual. i'd prefer auto but i'm really not that picky, just lookin to mess around lol
    I believe to make an automatic you need a working battery unless you were a good DIYer and if so you would not be asking, but lets way for the master.I wish to be wrong

I used an automatic battery for the atomizer connection, but I removed the auto switch. It's much less work to just add the manual button.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Here's one I made for $3.00. Fitted with the RN4081 Atomizer.

Hi Jim! I am a newbie. I see the picture, but how did you do it? Any step by step instructions available? Also where do you get the parts?

ECF Veteran

Sorry Jim...thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by frankie1 View Post
    Hi Jim! I am a newbie. I see the picture, but how did you do it? Any step by step instructions available? Also where do you get the parts?
    There is the passthrough you saw, and then there is the Nicostick. You can build a Nicostick for just a few bucks.
    Check out the nicostick here;

How To: Build a NicoStick

To build the passthrough just make the following changes from the Nicostick.

Use a 2-AAA covered battery box. (Radio Shack - $1.69) Cut out the center battery divider with an Exacto knife.

A 3amp momentary switch. (Radio Shack - $2.69)

For the atty connector, I used an old battery. I cut it with a tubing cutter at about 1 inch long. Besure to gently pull out the center button before soldaring a new wire on it. You have to carefully remove the rubber mount before soldering so you don't melt it.

The USB wire was cut from old connectors & wires I save in my computer scrap box. RED and BLACK wires are the power wires, Cut off the data wires. (GREEN & WHITE).

ECF Veteran

Thank you Jim. I may play with it. The picture looked so easy, but MAYBE NOT! LOL I am by no means experienced with these things, so I probably will stick with buying {{sigh}}

can you please show us how to change the auto to the manual switch

Quote Originally Posted by SupaFly View Post
    can you please show us how to change the auto to the manual switch
    The battery case gets gutted so only the button connector remains. The Momentary switch is mounted in the case. Wire from the center button to one side of the switch, other wire to the one of the USB wires. Other side of the switch, goes to the other USB wire. Very simple, and no polarity involved with the wires.
    Last edited by Jim Davis; 09-09-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast