Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How does Resistance affect the Vape?

Default How does Resistance affect the Vape?

Hey guys,

Just gonna put in an order for DCT, then i realised there's 2 resistance option.
    Being the epic noob that I'm, I've absolutely no idea what's the difference..

1.5 ohm vs 2.0 ohm.

Does higher resistance means more taste? More Vapour?
    Or the lower wan?

Or does it not affect taste at all? if not then what does it affects? =\

Epic confused. Can some Guru enlighten me(and possible newbies) on this?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

For me it usually means how much Voltage I can pump, using that particular chart which Trinithophenol posted + what kind of Ohms of cartos/atties I buy. I also understand that using different Ohms of cartos/ atties + different sets of Voltages may result in warmer or cooler vapes too (Though I may be wrong). Hope this is not too confusing!

For 'Enlightenment', see siggie. It really helped me alot too.
    Last edited by Currynoah; 04-09-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    JIMP-er46 likes this.

MISTer. 50/50. HS Concentrates. Life is good.

Lower resistance = more wattage being fired by the atomizer = hotter vapor and more vapor production (voltage divided by resistance = amperage. Volts times amperage = watts). Here is a useful youtube video that explains this in more detail. Taste is a bit more subjective and different types of juice flavors seem to have different wattage preferences for optimal taste.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Cloudhopper, well-said! U hv done a lot of reading up although u're new to ECF!
    Mesh Mobbers - Hybrids & Gennies ...!
    What if I told you that vaping saves lives..?

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Its the wattage that changes the characteristics of your vape.
    Ideally,atties produce wattage based on how much voltage/current is fed.
    V=IxR, V/R= I, I=V/R is the formula for voltage.. and Wattage is W = V x I or W = I2 x R or W = V2 / R.
    haha.. im not that pro in this area of formula but i hope you get the idea.

In any case, Higher voltage output = higher Wattage.
    By using the same Voltage on LR atties you get Higher wattage compared to a normal atty
    But some VV mods limits the Current output so it cripples the wattage. That is why LR on VV mods are ideally pointless. Unless its DIY type that does not limit current output.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Madshock; 04-09-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: haha edited some stupid errors. LOL
    McAldo likes this.
    Mods: GGTS #1315 + SS Stealth Cap , VV DIY Box Mod, Lavatube, , GP Piccolo , GP PAPS, Sturm Mod
    ToYs: Odysseus with KirFanis Tanks, Line SS, SattyS, GP Spheroid
    Hybrids: Katana V3 , Orion V2.1

Full Member Verified Member Ryan Rayna Riaz's Avatar

If you have a fixed voltage PV, you can try this:

Voltage (PV) X Voltage (PV) / Ohms (cartos) = Watts

e.g. If you're using standard ego 3.7v and a 1.7carto, then it should be:

(3.7 X 3.7)/1.7=8.05Watts

And if you have a variable voltage and to know your the right resistance for your cartos just do this simple calculation:

Square root of (Ohms (cartos) X 10) = Volts you should be adjusting your PV to.

e.g. If you're using a 1.7carto and would like to know what should be the best voltage to set on your PV, then it should be:

Square root of (1.7 X 10) = 4.12V

So you set your PV as closest to 4.12V as possible.

The reference above is given based on the perfect 10 or the sweet spot...

Commonly as mentioned by the veteran posts before me, 10Watts is some kind of sweet spot for most juices to burn at. If you see the e-cig videos on youtube, you might notice that most would try to rake it up to 10watts at least.

But that should only be taken as a guideline because not all juices have the same burning point meaning some would taste better at slightly lower watts while some would bring you to vape 9.

Hope that helps.
    McAldo likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Actually the ohm law is playing the role of good vape. BUT, with dual coils cartos it's a bit different, 1.5ohm dual coils are using 2 coils rated @ 3ohm. So, to achieve a satisfying vape you have to consider it as 3 ohm resistance, the common problem is; generally our pv are NOT powerful enough to run them at higher voltage (4 volt and up) because dual coils require bigger amps. I love my smoktech woo because of this.
    5 volt regulated with 3.3 amps switch. Clean strong flavor and super thick vapor, excellent match for 1.5 / 2 ohm dual coils.
    John D in CT and McAldo like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B4DJ1N64N View Post
    Actually the ohm law is playing the role of good vape. BUT, with dual coils cartos it's a bit different, 1.5ohm dual coils are using 2 coils rated @ 3ohm. So, to achieve a satisfying vape you have to consider it as 3 ohm resistance, the common problem is; generally our pv are NOT powerful enough to run them at higher voltage (4 volt and up) because dual coils require bigger amps. I love my smoktech woo because of this.
    5 volt regulated with 3.3 amps switch. Clean strong flavor and super thick vapor, excellent match for 1.5 / 2 ohm dual coils.
    Well said, bro. I happened to be using the Big daddy Meter Mod from Ken's. 5v with 1.5ohm DCs no problem. In fact, choked meself with the vapor produced.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

When alot of vapor is produced. Does it also mean that alot of juice is being consume?

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dayn View Post
    When alot of vapor is produced. Does it also mean that alot of juice is being consume?
    Yups. The vapor has to come from somewhere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast