Newbie question about Nicotine levels? And how do you smoke these things anyway?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Newbie question about Nicotine levels? And how do you smoke these things anyway?

Default Newbie question about Nicotine levels? And how do you smoke these things anyway?

Yesterday; I visited a local bricks and mortar shop and purchased a starter kit. It's an eGo-T 650 with a CE4 atomizer (I think? Could that be right?)

Anyway, the speedy gal at the counter asked me what I usually smoked, which is Marlboro Light 100s. She gave me a taste of MLB 12, then asked how much I smoked. I'm pretty much a PAD to 1.5 PAD, and told her so. She said I should get the MLB 18, so of course, I went with it.

OMG!!! I cannot stand the taste of this stuff! One hit and my heart races!

I'm thinking I need a lower level of nicotine? I''m used to that 5-10 minute cigarette break thing, and maybe it's just supposed to be one hit and done?

Any advice greatly appreciated! I would love, love, love to be able to "smoke" in my house, but I can't take this taste and hit. (Cough, cough)

Blabbertypist Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    Yesterday; I visited a local bricks and mortar shop and purchased a starter kit. It's an eGo-T 650 with a CE4 atomizer (I think? Could that be right?)

Anyway, the speedy gal at the counter asked me what I usually smoked, which is Marlboro Light 100s. She gave me a taste of MLB 12, then asked how much I smoked. I'm pretty much a PAD to 1.5 PAD, and told her so. She said I should get the MLB 18, so of course, I went with it.

OMG!!! I cannot stand the taste of this stuff! One hit and my heart races!

I'm thinking I need a lower level of nicotine? I''m used to that 5-10 minute cigarette break thing, and maybe it's just supposed to be one hit and done?

Any advice greatly appreciated! I would love, love, love to be able to "smoke" in my house, but I can't take this taste and hit. (Cough, cough)
    Yeah, the idjits always tell pk a day smokers to start at 18mg, and that's way too much for some of us -- even 12mg was too strong for me, but then I smoked ultra-lights for 20+ yrs before vaping. I'd say 12mg is probably just what you need.

As for how to smoke them... you don't, you vape them. Seriously, most of us were in that serial-smoker category, since most people don't want that stink in their house anymore, but with vaping, it does tend to be an "all the time" kind of thing, ESPECIALLY when you're first quitting the cigarettes -- chain vaping is not at all uncommon. If you think you're going to be puffing pretty much constantly while the quitting is still a new thing -- first three months or so -- then 12mg might even be too high, as it was for me -- you did say "lights" so it's entirely possible that 12mg might be too much if you're really vaping constantly. But only way to know for sure is to try it.

That "smoking" indoors thing was what got me interested, back in January when I first got here, and even in February when I first started vaping; after trying and failing to quit many times, I had no expectation that e-cigs could do more than just let me cut down on smoking, especially on cold nights when hanging out on the porch was really not very pleasant. But it really does make such a good substitute, quitting is entirely possible. But, when you first start, no, vaping really doesn't taste very good to a palate that's accustomed to cigarette smoke; for those with a real insistence on taste, it can take a while to get accustomed, gradually easing the smoking as you vape more and more -- that slow kind of easing smoking out as you ease vaping in, is the way I did it, and the more you vape, the worse the cigarettes will taste, until putting them down really isn't a big thing at all.

Welcome to ECF, and a whole new world!
    Andria
    This time...

Interested in vaping? Come visit me at http://vapefight.crypticsites.com !

It all depends on your personal tolerance to nicotine what level you will need. I was never a heavy smoker, and I started with 6mg. If your heart is racing from one hit, your nicotine strength is probably too high. I know a lot of people who just switched from smoking prefer a taste similar to tobacco, but there is a wide range of different flavors that exist for e-liquids. Most stores have a samples for all of their flavors, it sounds like the place you went to did. I would suggest trying non-tobacco flavors too.
    cbsokc13 and markperkins like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome balance to ECF. I would try 9 or 12 Nic. There are some really great flavors out there other then tobacco. If you decide to buy from an online vendor start with samples. This will help you save some $.

Also you might want to try different PG/VG ratios.....remember the more PG the greater the throat hit....the greater VG more cloud vapor

Good Luck to You...Happy Vaping!!!
    cbsokc13 likes this.

Blog Entries

The speedy gal at the counter recommended what is typically suggested for a 1 1/2 pack per day smoker. It could be that you will need to drop down a level to 12 mg nicotine in the e-liquid. Not everyone is Mr. Average.

• Most of the nicotine in vapor is absorbed in the mouth & throat, so you actually don't have to inhale the vapor into your lungs to absorb the nicotine. However, nearly all of us want to replicate that "cigarette experience". Try adjusting your inhale technique to a vaping technique:

• Imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use your cheek muscles. Draw into your mouth slow and gently. Hold it there for a second. This allows for the vapor to cool before inhaling into your lungs, and also allows for maximum absorbtion of the nicotine.

• Inhale a small amount into your lungs. Baby steps -- gradually inhale more into your lungs as time passes on. You likely coughed when you first inhaled your first cigarettes, and your body adapted. You'll adapt to vapor, too.

• Exhale through both your mouth and nose. Your sense of smell assists your sense of taste, and you'll enjoy your vape flavors more with this technique.

• Drink plenty of water. E-liquids and the vapor dehydrates our mucus membranes. You don't want to get dry mouth from vaping.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Reduce your draw intensity.
    Remember this is not a Cigarette and you are not smoking it.
    Vapor is Denser than cigarette smoke and very moist in comparison. It will hit your throat and longs much differently.

Things to know:
    Coil takes a second or so to heat up. No need to instantly start your draw.
    Release the switch before ending your draw. Helps to cool coil and reduces moisture(condensation) in the air tube.
    You Can purchase a 6mg version of your liquid and reduce mix.
    half and half - 18+6=24/2=12mg
    You can work other combinations to run higher or lower Nic mg.

Ce4 Tanks are Disposable. As they fail, replace with ce5, which can be cleaned and heads replaced. Read a lot before running out to buy the next greatest thing. Don't just assume you need something. Find out if it is what you need and save in the long run.
    Last edited by crxess; 08-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    wv2win, RIMP and AndriaD like this.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

Quote Originally Posted by AndriaD View Post
    Yeah, the idjits always tell pk a day smokers to start at 18mg, and that's way too much for some of us -- even 12mg was too strong for me, but then I smoked ultra-lights for 20+ yrs before vaping. I'd say 12mg is probably just what you need.

As for how to smoke them... you don't, you vape them. Seriously, most of us were in that serial-smoker category, since most people don't want that stink in their house anymore, but with vaping, it does tend to be an "all the time" kind of thing, ESPECIALLY when you're first quitting the cigarettes -- chain vaping is not at all uncommon. If you think you're going to be puffing pretty much constantly while the quitting is still a new thing -- first three months or so -- then 12mg might even be too high, as it was for me -- you did say "lights" so it's entirely possible that 12mg might be too much if you're really vaping constantly. But only way to know for sure is to try it.

Andria
    Thank you for the great advice, Andria! And thank you for mentioning chain vaping, I think you're right that even 12 might be too much since there are times of the day where I'm used to having a cigarette in my hand for hours (like when I'm working from home.) And thank you for the kind welcome to ECF -- you're the first person to reply to me, and I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    The speedy gal at the counter recommended what is typically suggested for a 1 1/2 pack per day smoker. It could be that you will need to drop down a level to 12 mg nicotine in the e-liquid. Not everyone is Mr. Average.

• Most of the nicotine in vapor is absorbed in the mouth & throat, so you actually don't have to inhale the vapor into your lungs to absorb the nicotine. However, nearly all of us want to replicate that "cigarette experience". Try adjusting your inhale technique to a vaping technique:

• Imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use your cheek muscles. Draw into your mouth slow and gently. Hold it there for a second. This allows for the vapor to cool before inhaling into your lungs, and also allows for maximum absorbtion of the nicotine.

• Inhale a small amount into your lungs. Baby steps -- gradually inhale more into your lungs as time passes on. You likely coughed when you first inhaled your first cigarettes, and your body adapted. You'll adapt to vapor, too.

• Exhale through both your mouth and nose. Your sense of smell assists your sense of taste, and you'll enjoy your vape flavors more with this technique.

• Drink plenty of water. E-liquids and the vapor dehydrates our mucus membranes. You don't want to get dry mouth from vaping.
    Thank you for all this information! I wish the gal at the store had been as informative. While I was at the store, not one word about how different the experience of vaping might be from smoking. Of course, there was someone else waiting, so maybe that explains the speediness.

Anyway, this is a great forum! I'm really impressed that so many experienced folks still take time to help the newbies. Thank you.
    Baditude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crxess View Post
    Reduce your draw intensity.
    Remember this is not a Cigarette and you are not smoking it.
    Vapor is Denser than cigarette smoke and very moist in comparison. It will hit your throat and longs much differently.

Things to know:
    Coil takes a second or so to heat up. No need to instantly start your draw.
    Release the switch before ending your draw. Helps to cool coil and reduces moisture(condensation) in the air tube.
    You Can purchase a 6mg version of your liquid and reduce mix.
    half and half - 18+6=24/2=12mg
    You can work other combinations to run higher or lower Nic mg.

Ce4 Tanks are Disposable. As they fail, replace with ce5, which can be cleaned and heads replaced. Read a lot before running out to buy the next greatest thing. Don't just assume you need something. Find out if it is what you need and save in the long run.
    Thank you for this advice. I went back today and picked up a 6mg of vanilla and a 12 of ry4 which I tried at the store. I mixed mostly the 6mg with maybe 1/4 of the 12mg, since I was a tad concerned about that racing heartbeat thing. Also they upgraded me to an iClear 16 VW/VV (?) which the guy said would only require new coils (?) every couple of weeks. I must say the draw was much better, and since they were kind enough to throw it in the bag, I'm a much happier camper.

I'll admit I went to an actual store because I hoped that some of this jargon would be explained, and my experience yesterday was not overly helpful. The amount of reading available is a tad intimidating, and quickly moves into a bunch of initials that I don't always understand which is why is so awesomely nice that you all take time from your day to help a new vaper out. Really, really appreciate the forum, the new members section, and all of the real-life advice you guys have posted.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by keonee View Post
    Welcome balance to ECF. I would try 9 or 12 Nic. There are some really great flavors out there other then tobacco. If you decide to buy from an online vendor start with samples. This will help you save some $.

Also you might want to try different PG/VG ratios.....remember the more PG the greater the throat hit....the greater VG more cloud vapor

Good Luck to You...Happy Vaping!!!
    Thank you for the kind welcome. I've got a question about the PG/VG ratio. My store doesn't post this information, and the labels on my juice list PG first, then VG. Is there a standard ratio between the two? Also, are there any online stores you can recommend?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast