CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE - Page 2981
Like Tree151955Likes

Thread: CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

Quote Originally Posted by cindycated View Post
    Sandy, Photoshop Elements does a lot of the basic image manipulation that the full-blown Photoshop does, and does a little more than iPhoto. It's a lot easier to learn, and a lot cheaper (sometimes free with certain hardware). Adobe's just a little quirky about mac hardware and OS. If you get it, you have to make sure the version you get works on your existing setup. I use the full-blown Photoshop, but mostly for graphics.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pro...nts-Review.htm
    I've heard about it some years ago, but then last I looked into it, it wasn't for my Mac. Maybe now they've made more versions. Still, I do OK with what I have, and I'm not sure I want to venture into learning a new program. I probably should be more adventurous.
    Amethyst_Star likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    Maybe a rat terrier is like a Jack Russell? At the barn where I board Penny, there are 2 Jack Russells, and they have convinced me that it's not a breed of dog I'd ever want to own. They are hyper and aggressive to strangers, have been known to nip. Somehow, I made friends with them, but others haven't been so lucky. One of them bit the other woman who boards her horses there. The barn owner has 2 other dogs, too, a golden Lab and a beagle. All 4 dogs get along well together, but all the dogs are crazy in their own way. The male Jack Russell is aggressive, the female pees when she's excited -- she never has enough control to be called housebroken -- and she's very timid, but she'll bite, too. The golden Lab is huge, but he thinks he's a puppy and is boisterous, which can be scary in a big dog. He's very friendly, though. The beagle is still young, just past puppyhood, and she acts puppyish, too, and is very hyper, running in circles like crazy and barking, just for the sheer joy of it. The beagle, who has boundless energy, went with us when we rode once recently, and when we got home again, she was still running in circles. I don't know what it'd take to tire her out!
    Not sure, but he's been mistaken for a Jack Russell. Our oldest, Sassy, will pee when she's excited too! Usually on people's shoes! *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by rave View Post
    My computer is not back up yet. Still limping. Dave had his future inlaws here at the house all weekend and couldn't get to it. I'm only going online to touch base and then I shut it down again. The fan in my computer needs to be replaced, and I don't want for it to overheat the CPU. After my son replaces the fan, he'll wipe the drive and re-install Windows. Dunno how long it will be before that happens. I hate being out of touch with all of my friends. *sigh*

Awsum - Thank you soooo much for your offer. If Dave can't find that disk, I will PM you. He swears he has it ... but ...

Okay - I'd better shut down before this dinosaur blows up on me. I'll be back as soon as I can. Sure hope that you are all doing well.
    Hi Rave! Bye Rave! Miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by trichman View Post
    Rain, rain go away! It has been a while since the sun has been out here in New Philly. It is so soggy. Some nice weather is ahead but I'm ready for the sun again. Reminds me of when I lived in Oregon.

On another note, we have 4 dogs and a cat. We have been trying to get the cat and dogs used to each other but our little mini-dach, Rose, gets a little aggressive trying to get Kitty to play. I really think Kitty would hurt Rose more than the other way around. He was a feral that was born under our house in Arkansas and we had him fixed and kept him. He has a great space in the basement here and can climb all over the place. We put the gate up at the top of the stairs and he tries to play with Rose through the gate.

Any ideas of how to get them to coexist peacefully would be appreciated.
    Milo tries to play rough with Loki, his buddy. They don't necessarily get along, but they tolerate each other to a point. Milo's caused Loki to hurt his hip in the past, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    When I started taking pictures with a digital camera, I first had a Canon PowerShot, which was a really great camera in many ways. However, the zoom lens didn't really work well. Everything was blurry when I used it. And the lens cover, which opens and closes automatically, started sticking, which was easily solved by giving it a nudge with my fingertip. This was several years ago, and they may have improved those features by now. I do recommend the PowerShot, though. The advantage was that it was very small so I could tuck it in a pocket, and that enabled me to take it with me wherever I went, so anytime I saw something worth shooting, it was right there with me.

I decided to upgrade, and I got a Canon Rebel. I chose this one because it had good reviews and because some expensive lenses Bill had for a Rebel film camera would work on it. That's what I use now, so the pictures I just took are with that one, but many of the older ones were taken with the PowerShot. I would recommend either. The PowerShot is a lot cheaper and is easier to use. The Rebel does more (but I don't know how to make it do half of what it could), and I can use a good zoom lens on it. However, this lens cover comes off completely, and I'm always afraid I'll lose it. I wish there was a good way to attach the lens cover to the camera.

I'm no pro, and I don't do technology very well, but I love taking pictures.

One thing I really like about digital photography is how I can put my photos into iPhoto and then change the color or darken or lighten the photo, so if it's not properly exposed, sometimes I can correct it. I wish I could learn Photo Shop, because I could do so much more, but iPhoto works pretty well for the technologically challenged.

I've heard the argument that digital photography allows the photos to be fake because you can change them so easily, but I figure they don't need to represent life exactly. These are for artistic expression, not for use as evidence in a courtroom, after all. Paintings can allow images to be fake, too, but I don't hear people complain about that.
    I love my Canon Rebel! I would highly recommend a digital SLR if you can afford it! I like my little digital camera for on the go, but when I'm 'serious' I use my Canon Rebel. Many moons ago, I used a Pentax and a Chinon, which were both just 35 mm SLR's. I can't remember what my last 35mm was, as I sold it to help get the Canon Rebel.
    SandySu, JoAnnW and Tail11 like this.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

ECF Veteran

Maryland, USA Between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay
    Blog Entries

Tina,

Every time I am scrolling down reading posts and I come to one of yours I am glued to your avatar. It is quite enchanting and haunting.

Wabbit

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    Tina,

Every time I am scrolling down reading posts and I come to one of yours I am glued to your avatar. It is quite enchanting and haunting.

Wabbit
    Thanks, Wabbit. I can never make up my mind what to use as one, but when I saw this one, I couldn't resist using it.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    SandySu, JoAnnW and Tail11 like this.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tail11 View Post
    I'm leaning towards a Doberman Pinscher (to look like a big Whisper dog) or a Rottie. Something that has a lot of teeth and growling capabilities.

I would adopt, so it's a toss up on adult or puppy. I'm sure Whisper would love to have a puppy, but if I can find an adult dog that has some training, then I'd rather go that route. The larger dog will have to stay outside during the day (when I need the most protection), but will spend the night inside with us.

The PD could care less about the drug dealers next to me. I gave them a list of 20 license plates of those less than a minute stops at the front of their house.

I doubt that I could afford Bo's grocery bill! I'd like to find a 60-80lb dog, if I need to go that route. It would be hard to do the dog park thing for me.
    A juvenile, just under a year old, would be a good age. Young enough to be molded but old enough to be housebroken. A dog that age won't have as many bad habits as an adult. It would be good to take Whisper with you to "look" any candidates over and get a feel for how they would get along.
    SandySu, Amethyst_Star and Tail11 like this.

Peace... Love and Happiness!!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinaF1971 View Post
    Thanks, Wabbit. I can never make up my mind what to use as one, but when I saw this one, I couldn't resist using it.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    I like this one too Tina. Very striking.
    Amethyst_Star likes this.

Peace... Love and Happiness!!

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnW View Post
    I like this one too Tina. Very striking.
    Thanks, JoAnn!

Sent from Tapatalk.
    JoAnnW likes this.

ECF Veteran

Maryland, USA Between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay
    Blog Entries

Had my annual physical today. All is well with the old Wabbit. Still don't like it when the rubber gloves come out, but it is only once a year. She inquired about my vaping, but still lists me as a non smoker and thinks it is a much, much better alternative to analogs. She ask me about exercise and I had to admit the only thing that gets regular exercise are my fingers on the computer keyboard. I really do need to get out more but it has been so darn hot that the AC is much preferred to sweating my butt off outside.

Not much else going on in wabbitland.

Catch up with you all tomorrow.

Wabbit

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Had my annual physical today. All is well with the old Wabbit. Still don't like it when the rubber gloves come out, but it is only once a year. She inquired about my vaping, but still lists me as a non smoker and thinks it is a much, much better alternative to analogs. She ask me about exercise and I had to admit the only thing that gets regular exercise are my fingers on the computer keyboard. I really do need to get out more but it has been so darn hot that the AC is much preferred to sweating my butt off outside.

Wabbit
    Glad everything went well at your checkup! Have a great evening, Wabbit!
    SandySu likes this.

Wabbit
    There's always swimming. Are there any pools nearby? And you're not far from the shore, are you?
    Amethyst_Star and 0mg Meniere like this.