CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE - Page 3294
Like Tree151955Likes

Thread: CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Just a quick hiya_2011.gif while I'm stopping by my desktop to have a quick cuppa!

Having a mixed up sorta day, and can't seem to get organized.........better get to the gym and then try to think afterwards.

BBL
    rave, marlou, SandySu and 4 others like this.
    Gracie

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Wuzznt Me's Avatar
    Out delivering chlorine for the gene pool

Quote Originally Posted by awsum140 View Post
    Lizzy, I, too, am a PETA member, People Eating Tasty Animals, LOL. I apologize to all you vegetarians out there, but nothing beats a good venison steak or beef steak!

Rave, my friend in Virginia is doing the same thing with timber on her land, 500 acres worth though. There's so much standing dead wood and trees that will probably die and fall that she's having the timber harvested instead of letting it fall and turn into a forest fire hazard.
    All of God's creatures have a place in this world.

On my plate right next to the potatoes.
    rave, marlou, SandySu and 6 others like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Sorry Rave, it's no fun, I know, I've put it off as long as possible. I got a break again, Mr. Q doesn't feel like getting the big ladder out, and I can't get it out alone. Oh well!

The entire front wall of our house is windows, at the bottom of the wall are two 8 ft. door walls. I think to the peak of the top row it is 19 feet on the inside. Then on the back wall of the house there is a walkout from the basement, so the tops of the upstairs windows are about 27 ft. off the ground. See why I put it off? I did get the outside of the basement and ground level windows done, so that's a huge chunk of the job.
    rave, marlou, SandySu and 4 others like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wuzznt Me View Post
    All of God's creatures have a place in this world.

Right next to my potatoes on my plate.
    My hubby has that bumper sticker on his truck.
    rave, Wuzznt Me, SandySu and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    Good morning from Nevada, peeps.

Nothing to exciting here in Nevada. Hubby and I discussed how to build the new two stall and a tack room shed this winter.

It was a horrible 29 degrees outside when I woke up. I didn't pull the winter squash yesterday because it was supposed to go to 37 degrees and I thought, with the skies clearing, it might go a bit lower but since it was already dark out, too late to worry about it.

We fired up the woodstove last night to take the chill off the house. It was cloudy and in the fifties yesterday so the house stayed just a tad on the cold side. I didn't mind until the sun went down. And this morning I decided to fire it up again just because the house will be a lot nicer with the chill taken off it. It looks like a sunny day.

Need to go feed those hungry critters. I have a few errands to run and then the farrier will be here this afternoon. Nothing too exciting.
    With all your projects, you really don't need one more, but look at this.

rave and charlzrocks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rave View Post
    I've been dealing with a surveyor and a timber man this morning. The surveyor is going to be reorganizing the acreage that I'll be giving to my son so that I can draw up Quit Claim Deeds and he can get his building permit. The timber man is being consulted so that I can sell off the trees that either have died or don't know that they're dead yet due to last summer's intense drought. The drought made the trees susceptible to a noxious aphid infestation which did an incredible amount of damage. They're gonna fall anyhow, so I might as well make some money off of them. I shudder to think of how many trees have croaked on 60+ acres. There will still be plenty of standing dead timber for the woodpeckers and other critters that depend on them. My only regret is that it may look a bit like a war zone for awhile. But, it'll look that way anyhow when they fall of their own accord. This way, they'll be less likely to take out my well or outbuildings.
    How will the felled trees be removed from between the standing trees? I think draft horses are very good at getting into spots where machinery won't go. So I've heard, anyway. So I wonder if you'll have big horses visiting. That would be exciting. Whatever method they use, it might be interesting to photograph the process. And, of course, if you do, you must share with us.
    rave, QRXT and charlzrocks like this.

* Resident Wood Nymph * Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    With all your projects, you really don't need one more, but look at this.

Ewww! Now that's recycling!!
    SandySu, JoAnnW and charlzrocks like this.

* Resident Wood Nymph * Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    How will the felled trees be removed from between the standing trees? I think draft horses are very good at getting into spots where machinery won't go. So I've heard, anyway. So I wonder if you'll have big horses visiting. That would be exciting. Whatever method they use, it might be interesting to photograph the process. And, of course, if you do, you must share with us.
    That would be fun, but no. He'll top 'em off and draw the trunks out using a Bobcat. It's gonna get reallllly noisy here.
    SandySu and charlzrocks like this.

ECF Veteran

Maryland, USA Between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awsum140 View Post
    Lizzy, I, too, am a PETA member,..........
    And I first read this as "I, too, am a Pain in the A** member) Just the inner workings of a Wabbits mind.

Heading out to take a friend and her mom (96 yrs old) to dinner at a "real" country restaurant. It is in the middle of nowhere, does no advertising other than word of mouth, reservations requested because they only seat about 20. It is an old country store reconfigured into a restaurant where "everything" is fresh cooked and homemade. It is one of those places which "you can't get there from here" but it is only 30 miles from our home, through a lot of back county roads to a town named Newark, Md. However you can find it on the Internet at:

Barbelys Home page

Catch Up with everyone later
    Wabbit
    rave, SandySu, QRXT and 3 others like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by QRXT View Post
    I did get the outside of the basement and ground level windows done, so that's a huge chunk of the job.
    Yeah, but won't the bottom just get dirty again, when you get to the top?
    rave, SandySu, QRXT and 2 others like this.

smoke-free since may 4, 2011, 5:15 p.m.!