CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE - Page 3694
Like Tree151955Likes

Thread: CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRM View Post
    Awww, you're just a kid, Lizzie. I'm 64 but I have never asked for senior discounts. I refuse to acknowledge that I have one foot in the grave and the other one is teetering on the edge of it.
    A buck is a buck, Jer...I get the senior drink at Taco Bell for only 25 cents. I told her I wasn't old enough but she said 50 was the age so I said "give 'er to me!"
    Last edited by Renolizzie; 01-02-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Liscab, rave, JerryRM and 3 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Lizzie, I just noticed your "Location". I'm a 49er, but not that kind of of 49er. I'm a 1949er.

Hi Omg !!!!!
    Liscab, rave, SandySu and 3 others like this.
    DON'T go back to smoking, no matter what the FDA does.
    Going back to smoking will be a huge loss for you, in more ways than one.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Here is a couple of photos of our place. About 500 feet from here is where one of the wagon trails for the 49's went through. It's at the far edge of my neighbor's yard.
    rave, marlou, JerryRM and 3 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post

Here is a couple of photos of our place. About 500 feet from here is where one of the wagon trails for the 49's went through. It's at the far edge of my neighbor's yard.
    Wagon trails? They had cars in 1949....I think. lol

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Wagon trails? They had cars in 1949....I think. lol
    Yes, of course the wagons came through here in 1849
    Liscab, rave, JerryRM and 3 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Yes, of course the wagons came through here in 1849
    I have always said that I was born 100 years too late. I should have been an 1849er instead of a 1949er.
    Liscab, rave, SandySu and 3 others like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I was probably born 100 years too late, as well. The continent was an incredible place teeming with buffalo and wildlife before we invaded. I wish I could have seen it with my own eyes instead of reading about it in books.
    Liscab, rave, marlou and 6 others like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

i would like to be from 1549. the only problem is that in those years girls only took a bath once every month
    '
    rave, marlou, JerryRM and 5 others like this.

Good morning zero, Lis, Sandy, Rave, Terry, Celt and misc. others.

I decided to get an early start today so I fed the critters and got right down to making bread. I need a loaf of bread and some burger buns. Bread is surprisingly easy to make now that I have memorized the recipe. It is time consuming since you have to do something and then wait about 5 times. Another hour or so and I punch down the dough and turn it and then wait

I got the kitchen cleaned up and then I swept and mopped the floor while I waited for my second cup of coffee to brew. The rugs are getting washed today. I need to work on the bathroom...and vacuum...that will be it for me on the cleaning since I have to clean someone's house tomorrow and I don't like to be too tired for that.

I got Nevada all the way to the round pen yesterday using the stud chain under his chin. The stud chain does make him settle down and not push his luck. We are working through some rough spots in the round pen still but he is listening better. I made the mistake of trying to teach him to turn towards me, away from the fence. We just aren't there yet. I will work on that after we get used to listening to me and turning towards the fence every time he is asked to before we get too fancy.

I am still working on Nevada not crowding me, as well. "Space!" bump on the neck. Leading him is improved but we still have a ways to go.

I'm drooling over the Comfy Fit harness and will need to decide if I should go with the breast strap or the Euro collar.

http://www.comfyfitharness.com/Comfi...mallcollar.jpg

Here is a link to the Euro collar. I only have half the money saved up so I have another month or two before I decide.
    You'll have to decide on which horse collar w/o my help. I know next to nothing about driving. You could join a horse driving group on the Internet and ask them. Are there reviews up with people's input about the plusses and minuses of each? That's often how I choose products when I'm unsure which to get.

Speaking of products, what kind of coffeemaker did Hubby get you? Do you like it?

I assume if you need to use the stud chain when leading Nevada that he's trying to go faster than you want him to. A good tactic is to walk along with him, and when he gets in front of where you want him, make him back up. I like to use a whip on the horse's chest for this. You don't have to beat the horse -- just tap, and if nothing happens, tap harder. If still nothing happens, then a smart swat. Make him back about 3 steps, then go forward again. In about 3 steps, he may get too fast again, so you repeat the process. Soon he learns to back from a gentle tap instead of having to be more forceful. And if you do this every time you lead him, backing him every single time he gets ahead of you, soon he stops doing that. The secret is to be totally consistent. Don't do it sometimes and not others. And expect your progress to the round pen to be painfully slow at first. You will be going backward as much as forward. When he responds better than before, put him back in his pen and feed him hay or some other goody like a carrot. Till he leads well, there's no point in trying to do anything else with him, just focus on that. Parelli said something like, you need to take as long as it takes. Taking the time to do it right actually takes less time than constantly fighting. I bet if you are totally consistent with the leading, he'll learn it in about a week if you do it every day for about 1/2 hour. Even if you don't do it every day, he can still learn. In fact, I found out something interesting when I was training Penny. Sometimes we'd work on something, and she wouldn't quite get it. I'd return to the barn after a day off, and she'd get it the first try! What did she do? Study the problem while she was grazing? Anyway, I've heard other horse people say they found this out, too, so sometimes, I think you make more progress with less work when you skip a day of training. Of course, it takes longer because you aren't working on it daily, but it actually takes less working hours. Horses have excellent memories, and once a horse gets an idea, it sticks with him -- for good and bad. Bad habits are hard to break for this reason.

Once you have the leading problem under control -- and he may look like he learned it but test you from time to time to be sure the rules are still the same -- just like a kid -- then you can move on to round pen work.

To get him to turn toward you, use a long lead line -- about 12 feet for a horse, but you can probably get away with one a little shorter for a mini. Use a whip that'll reach him from the end of the line. Make sure he's not afraid of the whip but respects it. You should be able to gently rub him all over with the whip without him getting nervous and moving away from it. The whip is a signal, not a threat.

Once he's used to the whip and knows to go forward when you wave it at him, have him circle you at the end of the lead. Ask him to slow or stop with a wiggling of the rope. Meanwhile, point the whip at the point of his hip -- where that bone protrudes. He should move his hindquarters away from the whip while you pull his head toward you, and that'll get him to turn toward you. Once he gets that idea, use the whip less and less. At first, you may have to tap or prod him with it to get him to turn his butt away. Then you may just point it at the hip and he'll turn away. Finally, you can just move, leaning a bit toward his butt, and he'll turn away. Then you can try it without the lead attached, once he does it w/o you pulling his head toward you and just from leaning toward his butt. Don't move your feet more than one step. The idea is for him to move his feet and you to stand in one spot while you make him move.

If you try this, tell me if it works. it worked with Penny, but I had an instructor hovering, telling me if my timing was off, and timing of signals is important. It's really better to have someone on the spot to watch you work with him and tell you when you made a mistake right then. At least that's how I learn.
    rave likes this.

Awww, you're just a kid, Lizzie. I'm 64 but I have never asked for senior discounts. I refuse to acknowledge that I have one foot in the grave and the other one is teetering on the edge of it.
    I'm a few years older than you, Jerry, and I will ask for a senior discount. No point in denying the facts, and why not save money if you can? You're as young as you feel, so don't worry about the years and wrinkles and such stuff. And save whenever you can. Why spend your precious, hard-earned cash to deny the truth?
    Liscab, rave, marlou and 4 others like this.