CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE - Page 3792
Page 3792 of 3864 FirstFirst ... 2792329236923742378237883789379037913792379337943795379638023842 ... LastLast
Results 37,911 to 37,920 of 38634
Like Tree151955Likes

Thread: CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

Ultra Member ECF Veteran 0mg Meniere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    Maybe the prolonged smoke inhalation hasn't helped my cause
    170 likes, here. LOL
    rave, tmcase, Renolizzie and 1 others like this.
    I am a dollar-a-day vaper and a Vamo lover. I recoil clearo heads and mix my own juice.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mg Meniere View Post
    Many people working on the issues I am working on do begin to question reality. When do you treat a piece of fantasy fiction as something that really happened, and when do you treat it as something that sprang from the authors' heads? For the sake of argument it is sometimes useful to treat it as something that really happened.

Yeah, not to step on sensitive nerves here, but I never have been well coordinated or strong, and when I try to draw I end up drawing it flat three-dimensional, like the horse's eyes. One time I did a pastel of a pine tree in our neighborhood, with an interesting crook at the top. I ran out of space at the top. In analysis of people's drawings, that is an indicator of a tightly-controlled fantasy life. Part of the social pressure to interpret things according to how the dominant people interpret things. (Drawing of a house, a tree, and a person has been standardized for psychological interpretation and assessment. The tree can be most valuable for deeper issues.)
    We've been discussing being a loner. One advantage I find to being alone so much -- and not watching TV or having much input from society -- is that I come up with independent thoughts. I think I'm not so influenced by what others think as those who get more input from other people. I like this aspect, because I don't parrot what I've heard as much as more social people.

I'm probably still influenced by society's predominant thoughts. I don't live in a vacuum, but I live in a more isolated way than many other people who get input from outside themselves more.

Does this make me less sensitive to criticism? I'm not sure. But I'm less likely to be criticized if there are less people around to pass judgment.

I really appreciate thinking for myself and wonder at people who don't seem to. They parrot what others around them say and believe it's the truth without giving it much thought. I hear things, but I think them over more, question the reality of what's being said, and come up with conclusions on my own. At least, I hope I do. I guess none of us knows for sure how much outside thought influences our thinking.
    rave, tmcase, Uncle and 2 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran 0mg Meniere's Avatar

I was complaining to one of my spiritual advisers about my dissatisfaction with this contemplative lifestyle, and he just let the comment pass. LOL. I substitute teach, go to quilting club (which I am going to skip today), walk, volunteer, and go to weekday mass at the VA-- and of course, talk with friends on the boards. I think that is enough, and too much chatting on the boards, although I am careful on the board which is directly relevant.

If I am sure of myself, and have collected enough data to warrant that confidence, then I won't feel hurt if someone is being critical. For instance, someone made this comment to me yesterday:
    your response is a childish and incoherent attempt to justify your assertions by throwing up a bunch of names. No wonder you believe the nonsense that ....stated was a valid point. Your head seems full of this kind of nonsense.
    I just went "humph!" consider the source!! And didn't respond.
    Last edited by 0mg Meniere; 01-15-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 2 others like this.
    I am a dollar-a-day vaper and a Vamo lover. I recoil clearo heads and mix my own juice.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Good morning, Peeps.

I got to thinking, which is a dangerous thing for me to do, lol. I must be a loner, to be spending so much time on the internet and not in the Real World, I have to be a loner. We all are loners, to one degree or another. But, I have found the best group of loners, to hang out with, to call my friends, especially Raven
    rave, tmcase, Uncle and 3 others like this.
    DON'T go back to smoking, no matter what the FDA does.
    Going back to smoking will be a huge loss for you, in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mg Meniere View Post
    I was complaining to one of my spiritual advisers about my dissatisfaction with this contemplative lifestyle, and he just let the comment pass. LOL. I substitute teach, go to quilting club (which I am going to skip today), walk, volunteer, and go to weekday mass at the VA-- and of course, talk with friends on the boards. I think that is enough, and too much chatting on the boards, although I am careful on the board which is directly relevant.

If I am sure of myself, and have collected enough data to warrant that confidence, then I won't feel hurt if someone is being critical. For instance, someone made this comment to me yesterday:
    I just went "humph!" consider the source!! And didn't respond.
    That kind of criticism is really not helpful. What kind of person does that? An angry one, IMHO. I could see someone disagreeing or saying your research doesn't hold together to make your point or something, but calling names is not going to convince you that the criticizer has a valid point. I suppose you showed your work to this person not knowing the kind of response you'd get. My advice is to only show it to people who can be helpful about the flaws in your reasoning or something.

That's like if Terry and I showed our artwork on here hoping for help, and someone said, "Your work stinks. It looks like a kindergartner did it." Now, how much would we get from such a comment? Better to say what's wrong with it, like the eyes don't match or whatever. That kind of critique can help us improve.
    rave, tmcase, Uncle and 2 others like this.

* Resident Wood Nymph * Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRM View Post
    Good morning, Peeps.

I got to thinking, which is a dangerous thing for me to do, lol. I must be a loner, to be spending so much time on the internet and not in the Real World, I have to be a loner. We all are loners, to one degree or another. But, I have found the best group of loners, to hang out with, to call my friends, especially Raven
    Morning back atcha, Jerry. To my way of thinking, this IS the Real World. Are the people here any less real than those that we interface with outside of the internet? It seems that an awful lot of people that post (and I'm not talking about here) seem to think that they aren't talking with real people or real feelings, because they say things and behave in a way that they never would in person. These people - my dearest friends - are very real to me. I've shared things with them - both thoughts and physical items, and they've shared those things with me. We've got an inspiring, fascinating, intelligent, moral, and talented group of folks here that I really enjoy being with. Just sayin'.
    JerryRM, tmcase, Uncle and 4 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Well said, Raven, I can't add or subtract anything from your post.
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 3 others like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRM View Post
    Well said, Raven, I can't add or subtract anything from your post.
    I can:

Group Hug!

grouphugg.gif

JerryRM, tmcase, Uncle and 5 others like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Little bit of frustration here today. I've be trying to screw up the courage to actually drill the holes out of a mod/PV holder that I've designed. I had it all taped together and most of the areas that need to be drilled have been marked. Then I made a couple of practice holes with the Forstner bits ...... bit my lower lip ...... grit my teeth ..... and finally started.

At a depth of 1/8", that's when the battery of my electric drill decided that it needed to be charged.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rave View Post
    I can:

Group Hug!

grouphugg.gif

No facepalm, that was a very nice post, my dear.
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 1 others like this.