CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE - Page 3796
Page 3796 of 3864 FirstFirst ... 2796329636963746378637923793379437953796379737983799380038063846 ... LastLast
Results 37,951 to 37,960 of 38634
Like Tree151955Likes

Thread: CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    I'm deeply into the whining phase today. That phase will last into tomorrow or the next day and then I will be improving by Sunday I'm calling my cleaning client later today to let her know I am sick and won't be doing her house tomorrow.
    Sorry you're feeling poorly and hope you get better soon. I had to laugh when you said you were in the "whining phase". LOL!
    rave, SandySu, Renolizzie and 3 others like this.

Life is short, bend the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, live passionately and never forget anything that made you smile.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    I got back from visiting Penny some time ago. We had another session getting used to the sound of the clippers. She did pretty well.

First, none of the other horses were in the barn (the run-in part), and Penny wanted friends in sight, so I left her loose in the barn aisle with a pile of hay and the clippers running, laid in a corner, while I went out with a carrot to lure some other horse into the barn. Petey (the one that ran me over) seemed most interested, but not very, since it was hard walking on the rough ground, which was bumpy from being muddy, then got frozen that way. Still, with some coaxing, he followed me into the barn and got the carrot. Before he could decide to leave, I tossed him a little hay. Penny was only slightly calmer with Petey in there. She was huddled up agains the gate separating her from the barn aisle and the run-in part. Petey seemed totally unaffected by the sound of the clippers. And soon King got wind of hay being offered and came in to have some, so I tossed another pile in there. So now Penny had 2 friends, calmly munching hay, oblivious to the clippers. Granted, they were farther away from them than Penny, but they just didn't seem to care.

Someone on the horse list suggested I just leave the clippers running and go about my usual routine, so I did that. They were running at the far end of the barn while I removed Penny's blanket and bib and started grooming her. She's shedding! It always seems like she starts shedding too early, when there are still plenty of cold days ahead, but she seems to manage fine.

I had a hay pile closer to the clippers than the flake someone had left in the barn aisle, probably for dinner, that Penny was eating. When she finished that, I figured, she'd move closer to the clippers to get more hay. Not! She went over to the gate where King and Petey were. Still, I groomed her there, and everything was going well till I tried to lift her feet. I guess she thought if she might be in danger, she wanted 4 feet on the ground. I turned the clippers off, and then she lifted her feet. Next time for that. I turned the clippers back on and put her fresh bib and the same blanket on her. Then I went to the clippers and turned them on and off several times. She didn't seem to mind that more than having them running continuously. So then I decided to comb out her tail, which I don't do every time, since it pulls hairs out, and I want her to have a nice tail. But it was due for it, and she was acting OK though nervous. She finished the flake of hay at the safe distance and tentatively went to the hay that was a little closer.

When I finished grooming, I tried to coax her even closer to the clippers with a carrot. She didn't want to, so I grabbed her halter and made her take a couple of steps closer. When she did, she got the carrot.

Then she went back to the gate with King and Petey (who had been joined by Wrangler and Ali by now), and I took the clippers, running, over to her. She was nervous, but I rubbed them on her butt through the blanket, and she seemed OK about it.

So I turned the clippers off, put them away, put everything else away, let Penny through the gate with her friends, and swept the barn aisle and replaced that flake of hay Penny had eaten.

I think it went pretty well, considering.
    You're doing good going slow and easy with the clippers. When I got my horse use to having the clippers on near his face but not touching was to rub his neck with the back of my hand, holding the clippers with the clippers running and gradually working up towards his muzzle. It didn't take too long for him to relax and know it wouldn't hurt him.
    rave, SandySu, 0mg Meniere and 1 others like this.

Life is short, bend the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, live passionately and never forget anything that made you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcase View Post
    I got my Derwent electric eraser today. That reviewer was right. It's crap! The eraser wobbles so bad I wouldn't dare touch my drawing with it. It's going back and I'm just going to use the clunky engraver for now. It does an excellent job but it's heavy and very fat at the back which makes it unbalanced but it works. I was so disappointed in the Derwent.
    I'm sorry you're unhappy with it. It seemed that all the reviewer's favorite ones were no longer made. Why is that? Why stop making something that's good? From those reviews, it seemed that Staedtler (sp?) is a good brand, and there was one that had a cord I liked, if you wanted to deal with a cord.

Also, on another video somewhere, I saw an alternate way of sharpening the eraser's point: cut it with a razor blade.

And I've seen something called a blender that looked better than me wrapping a Kleenex around the point of one of my pencils or using those paper pencil-like things. I might invest in a blender. Or was it a blending stick? I think that was it.
    rave, tmcase, 0mg Meniere and 1 others like this.

You're doing good going slow and easy with the clippers. When I got my horse use to having the clippers on near his face but not touching was to rub his neck with the back of my hand, holding the clippers with the clippers running and gradually working up towards his muzzle. It didn't take too long for him to relax and know it wouldn't hurt him.
    The problem is, Penny doesn't like the sound. I feared it'd be so. She has never liked the sound of small machines. I think it's something in the tones, maybe even beyond our hearing, that hurt her ears. The way she acts, it's like how people act when someone makes that scraping sound with their nails on a blackboard.

I'll try to get her to ignore the sound, but if things don't improve, I may try ear plugs. Yes, they make ear plugs for horses! I've never tried them, but I don't think they're too expensive, and maybe that'll be an easy solution.
    rave, tmcase, 0mg Meniere and 1 others like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran abracadebra's Avatar

Hi Volties This Is A print By Shawna Erback
    I fell In Love First Sight...To All That Know Me
    will see Why....Title of print Is
    (Cant Go Back To Yesterday)...I love Shawnas Art work
    I asked Shawna To Print The Title iN my copy in the Clouds Next to
    the Mushroom...She said Yes.. Mum Is having Chemo ..docs are sure
    they got all the cancer...but as it was a very aggressive one..they want to play it safe..
    Miss You All
    Last edited by abracadebra; 01-16-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    rave, marlou, JerryRM and 7 others like this.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm sorry you're unhappy with it. It seemed that all the reviewer's favorite ones were no longer made. Why is that? Why stop making something that's good? From those reviews, it seemed that Staedtler (sp?) is a good brand, and there was one that had a cord I liked, if you wanted to deal with a cord.

Also, on another video somewhere, I saw an alternate way of sharpening the eraser's point: cut it with a razor blade.

And I've seen something called a blender that looked better than me wrapping a Kleenex around the point of one of my pencils or using those paper pencil-like things. I might invest in a blender. Or was it a blending stick? I think that was it.
    Was the blender one of these? Gray Paper Stumps - BLICK art materials I would be lost without these. There's one called a Tortillion (sp) but it roughs up the paper more than the blending stumps.

Quote Originally Posted by abracadebra View Post
    Hi, Deb. What's up? Just a picture and no words saying how you're doing?
    rave, tmcase, abracadebra and 2 others like this.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The problem is, Penny doesn't like the sound. I feared it'd be so. She has never liked the sound of small machines. I think it's something in the tones, maybe even beyond our hearing, that hurt her ears. The way she acts, it's like how people act when someone makes that scraping sound with their nails on a blackboard.

I'll try to get her to ignore the sound, but if things don't improve, I may try ear plugs. Yes, they make ear plugs for horses! I've never tried them, but I don't think they're too expensive, and maybe that'll be an easy solution.
    I've never heard of ear plugs for horses either. I hope that works. If not, you can always resort to shaving cream and a razor blade. LOL!

Is anybody else having trouble with the emoticons in the "more" box? I can't get it to scroll down. And it pops up outside my browser and it's never done that before.

PV Master ECF Veteran abracadebra's Avatar

Sorry sandy...Slow Fingers.. Catch Up...UpThere ^
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 2 others like this.

* Resident Wood Nymph * Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I got my Derwent electric eraser today. That reviewer was right. It's crap! The eraser wobbles so bad I wouldn't dare touch my drawing with it. It's going back and I'm just going to use the clunky engraver for now. It does an excellent job but it's heavy and very fat at the back which makes it unbalanced but it works. I was so disappointed in the Derwent.
    I'm sorry that it's crap. I know you were looking forward to getting it. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by abracadebra View Post
    Hey Debra! How ya doin'? I've heard about the crazy heat and fires in The Land Down Under. Hope you're holding up okay.