Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :) - Page 11
Page 11 of 901 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 9002
Like Tree47856Likes

Thread: Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

  1. #101
    ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    tmcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Soon to be Rave's neighbor!
    Posts
    18,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    Me, too. If this dog gets out of the yard, she will be gone. She will not be coming back. She did come right over to me just now, let me put a leash on her and put her back in the kennel but she already got out of the back yard earlier today and I think she will figure out how to get out of the five acres next.

    I really think she will do better with her sister here but we shall see.
    I found this on Wikipedia

    Temperament:

    Catahoulas are highly intelligent and energetic. They are assertive but not aggressive by nature. They have a need to take charge of their pack whether other dogs or humans. Catahoulas in general are very even tempered. Males tend to be more obnoxious than females, but Catahoulas are very serious about their job if they are working dogs. They make a good family dog but will not tolerate being isolated, so interaction with the dog is a daily requirement. When a Catahoula is raised with children, the dog believes that it is his or her responsibility to look after and protect those children. Many owners will say that the Catahoula owns them and they can be insistent when it's time to eat or do other activities. Catahoulas are protective and a natural alarm dog. They will alert one to anything out of the ordinary.
    rave, SandySu, 0mg Meniere and 1 others like this.

    Life is short, bend the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, live passionately and never forget anything that made you smile.

  2. #102
    PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Renolizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    Posts
    4,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    We are fine to interact with them every day but if she gets out of the five acres, we will not be able to call her back to us. She will run. She is not happy about Rusty or Penny although they may grow on her. She isn't mean or scary, she is just determined to get out of here and go home. Hopefully, with her sister here, who is the less frightened of the two dogs, apparently, we will be able to integrate them into the pack.
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 2 others like this.

  3. #103
    PV Master ECF Veteran SandySu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Trumansburg, NY
    Posts
    7,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    We are fine to interact with them every day but if she gets out of the five acres, we will not be able to call her back to us. She will run. She is not happy about Rusty or Penny although they may grow on her. She isn't mean or scary, she is just determined to get out of here and go home. Hopefully, with her sister here, who is the less frightened of the two dogs, apparently, we will be able to integrate them into the pack.
    Maybe she needs more interaction than once a day, like being in the house, sleeping at your feet. How did you get Rusty used to being kept outdoors?
    rave, tmcase and celticluvr like this.

  4. #104
    PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Renolizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    Posts
    4,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    Maybe she needs more interaction than once a day, like being in the house, sleeping at your feet. How did you get Rusty used to being kept outdoors?
    I am in and out of the house numerous times a day. I, of course, have been out to interact with the dog for breakfast. I tried to sit with her but she paced the yard constantly. I took her for a walk on the leash around the back of the property. I am trying to interact with her but she is so stressed. I left in in the backyard and she paced for a couple of hours.

    Anyway, all that could probably be worked through if she didn't seem to be trying so hard to get out of the yard and go home.I really originally thought that she would do better with her sister but then the lady said she already separated them and gave the dog to her brother in law. Fortunately, when I called her to tell her how unhappy Winnie is, I found out that the sister Sassy, isn't doing well at her new place. I hope to have the sister here sometime after 5pm.

    Rusty was easy. When we first got Rusty, he slept in a crate. He started whining about 5am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up at 6 or 7am. The next night he woke me up at 3am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up. After that, we left him outside every night. It is only this winter that he has spent so much of his time in the house.

    As far as Winnie coming in the house, I can't imagine that as fearful as she is, that bringing an outside dog into the house wouldn't be a disaster. She would freak. Many dogs that are raised outside don't even like coming in the house.
    tmcase and celticluvr like this.

  5. #105
    PV Master ECF Veteran SandySu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Trumansburg, NY
    Posts
    7,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    I am in and out of the house numerous times a day. I, of course, have been out to interact with the dog for breakfast. I tried to sit with her but she paced the yard constantly. I took her for a walk on the leash around the back of the property. I am trying to interact with her but she is so stressed. I left in in the backyard and she paced for a couple of hours.

    Anyway, all that could probably be worked through if she didn't seem to be trying so hard to get out of the yard and go home.I really originally thought that she would do better with her sister but then the lady said she already separated them and gave the dog to her brother in law. Fortunately, when I called her to tell her how unhappy Winnie is, I found out that the sister Sassy, isn't doing well at her new place. I hope to have the sister here sometime after 5pm.

    Rusty was easy. When we first got Rusty, he slept in a crate. He started whining about 5am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up at 6 or 7am. The next night he woke me up at 3am and I let him out and he stayed out until I got up. After that, we left him outside every night. It is only this winter that he has spent so much of his time in the house.

    As far as Winnie coming in the house, I can't imagine that as fearful as she is, that bringing an outside dog into the house wouldn't be a disaster. She would freak. Many dogs that are raised outside don't even like coming in the house.
    I didn't realize she has already been an outside dog. It sounds like the best solution, then, is to reunite her with Sassy. I really hope that helps. I feel very sorry for Winnie. If only they could understand, and we could explain to them!

    Let us know if Sassy's presence has any effect. Maybe both dogs are so stressed out because they were separated.

    Do you know their history? Anything about the former owner and his relationship with the dogs? Were they kept outside all the time? What kind of arrangement (kennel, fenced yard, dog house) did he have for them? Etc., etc. Any info you can get from the people who now have the dogs would be really helpful. Also, do they have a blanket or something that smells like home that they could give you? One the dogs slept on? Maybe that would help them realize your place is now home.
    rave, tmcase, 0mg Meniere and 1 others like this.

  6. #106
    PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Renolizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    Posts
    4,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    We know the dogs were kept outside. We know the owner died. We know the sisters, Winnie and Sassy, are about two and a half years old and have been together their entire lives.

    We also know that this breed is very loyal to its owners. I knew we would have a transition to make. I really thought we would be getting both dogs when Winnie came here and was surprised to find out that one dog had already been given away. I probably should have said no at that point since I thought having the two sisters would be good but having just one of the dogs would be bad. I said yes anyway.

    Fortunately, it sounds like we will be getting the other dog but the poor lady handling the estate sounds pretty freaking stressed out by all this. She is driving over an hour every day to feed and take care of 21 horses that were also left by the old guy that died. Wow, I can't imagine how hard that would be.
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 1 others like this.

  7. #107
    PV Master ECF Veteran SandySu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Trumansburg, NY
    Posts
    7,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    We know the dogs were kept outside. We know the owner died. We know the sisters, Winnie and Sassy, are about two and a half years old and have been together their entire lives.

    We also know that this breed is very loyal to its owners. I knew we would have a transition to make. I really thought we would be getting both dogs when Winnie came here and was surprised to find out that one dog had already been given away. I probably should have said no at that point since I thought having the two sisters would be good but having just one of the dogs would be bad. I said yes anyway.

    Fortunately, it sounds like we will be getting the other dog but the poor lady handling the estate sounds pretty freaking stressed out by all this. She is driving over an hour every day to feed and take care of 21 horses that were also left by the old guy that died. Wow, I can't imagine how hard that would be.
    21 horses! That's wild! I guess she's going to try to sell them or give them away. Maybe you could ask her to retrieve a dog bed or blanket or something they slept on from their old home, since she's going there every day. I really think that might help the transition. At least soon you'll have both dogs, and that might make things easier for Winnie, especially if Sassy is more outgoing. You might get her to be more friendly, and Winnie would follow her lead. Good luck with the dogs, Lizzie!
    rave, tmcase, Renolizzie and 2 others like this.

  8. #108
    ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    tmcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Soon to be Rave's neighbor!
    Posts
    18,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    21 horses! That's wild! I guess she's going to try to sell them or give them away. Maybe you could ask her to retrieve a dog bed or blanket or something they slept on from their old home, since she's going there every day. I really think that might help the transition. At least soon you'll have both dogs, and that might make things easier for Winnie, especially if Sassy is more outgoing. You might get her to be more friendly, and Winnie would follow her lead. Good luck with the dogs, Lizzie!
    Along with a dog bed or blanket, maybe you could get the dog house if there was one. That should make them feel right at home.

    Why in the world would anybody want 21 horses? Can you imagine the vet bills, farrier bills, hay bill and everything else that goes along with owning a horse? Gez Louise!
    rave, SandySu, Renolizzie and 1 others like this.

    Life is short, bend the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, live passionately and never forget anything that made you smile.

  9. #109
    PV Master ECF Veteran SandySu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Trumansburg, NY
    Posts
    7,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmcase View Post
    Along with a dog bed or blanket, maybe you could get the dog house if there was one. That should make them feel right at home.

    Why in the world would anybody want 21 horses? Can you imagine the vet bills, farrier bills, hay bill and everything else that goes along with owning a horse? Gez Louise!
    You know how there are cat ladies who collect cats? Well, there are people like that about horses, too. Unless he was a breeder or trainer or something. But I bet he was just what they call on my horse e-mail list a "horse hoarder." On that list, they jokingly have a group they call Horse Hoarders Anonymous, and when someone gets one more horse they don't need, they start their message with, "Hi, I'm ----- and I'm a horse hoarder."
    rave, tmcase, Renolizzie and 2 others like this.

  10. #110
    ECF Guru Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    tmcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Soon to be Rave's neighbor!
    Posts
    18,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandySu View Post
    You know how there are cat ladies who collect cats? Well, there are people like that about horses, too. Unless he was a breeder or trainer or something. But I bet he was just what they call on my horse e-mail list a "horse hoarder." On that list, they jokingly have a group they call Horse Hoarders Anonymous, and when someone gets one more horse they don't need, they start their message with, "Hi, I'm ----- and I'm a horse hoarder."
    I sure hope these horse hoarders can afford to give all those horses the proper care they need. I would think you'd have to be filthy rich.
    rave, SandySu, Renolizzie and 2 others like this.

    Life is short, bend the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, live passionately and never forget anything that made you smile.

Bookmarks