Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :) - Page 51
Page 51 of 999 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast
Like Tree54465Likes

Thread: Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You guys should have plenty of pic's to post in this Smokeless Image contest.

END OF WINTER (HOPEFULLY) GIVEAWAY!!!! $300 in prizes!
    rave, Uncle, SandySu and 2 others like this.

Life is short, bend the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, live passionately and never forget anything that made you smile.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yay! I love an SI contest.
    rave, tmcase and celticluvr like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran celticluvr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Woohoo! Thank you, Terry.

Well went to Wally World and got a new office chair... Mine kept falling backwards. I also got some blending stumps and tortillons by Daler Rowney. And I got some Pentel Hi Polymer erasers... did i ever mention I have a thing for pencils and erasers?
    Last night we had a bunny eating some of the hamster food I tossed into the yard but it was too dark for pics.
    Well gotta go take some pics for the contest, see ya!wave.gif
    rave, tmcase, SandySu and 2 others like this.
    This civilization is going to stupid itself to death.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Let us know when you you post your pics, Celt, so we can go look at them.
    SandySu and celticluvr like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran celticluvr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renolizzie View Post
    Let us know when you you post your pics, Celt, so we can go look at them.
    Already posted

Most are older though
    tmcase and SandySu like this.
    This civilization is going to stupid itself to death.

Tutoring went well today. Lots of laughter from the kids.

First, the girl. I had printed out some simple stories that she read aloud, me supplying words she didn't know (which she now has to study), and then there were some questions to answer. She got them right till they got a little harder, and then she had to refer back to the story to find the answers, sometimes with my prompting. She got them all right, though, with my suggestion she look harder when she had a wrong answer. I didn't give her the answers, just suggested she think more about wrong answers, and then she corrected herself. She really likes these reading comprehension exercises! I'll have to download more. I had a bunch of them, but she flew through one after the other.

Then she wanted a Mad Libs, which her brother joined us for.

And then it was his turn. He read a few pages of that story he had struggled through back when we started, and he got to see how easy reading it was now, compared to then. I praised him for learning so much and advancing as he's done. He had a faint smile, but is too modest or something to get really excited about praise. Both kids are like this, but his sister less so.

Then he wanted to do a word search, and he chose one that had words about mummies. We had read something about mummies a while ago, and I guess I printed out this word search for that lesson and then never used it. I have lots and lots of word searches, so there's no need to print more for a long, long time.

Sometime soon, I want to take a game of Scrabble to them. We can play and I can help both of them with spelling. At first, at least, I won't keep score. The girl will be at a big disadvantage for Scrabble, since her vocabulary is so much more limited. That could be a big hit or a total flop.

Oh, yes. The boy wrote a few sentences about the movie they watched. There was only one sentence he had to reword, since it didn't make any sense. I had him do that.

The girl hadn't written anything, and I told her she has to write something for my next visit on Saturday. Then the boy asked if that meant they couldn't watch another movie before she did, and I said they could go ahead and watch the next movie on their list, which will be ET. I bet the boy will like that one especially.

Then it was time to go. When I left their house to get in my car, the promised ice pellets were coming down hard, but as I drove down the hill into the center of Ithaca, it turned to rain and nearly stopped -- just sprinkles. On the way home, the rain got a little harder at times and then nearly stopped, but it didn't seem to be the ice pellets that pelted me when I got into my car.

When I got home, the driveway was slick and icy. I didn't check the mail, because that little hill up to the mailbox would have meant a fall for sure.
    rave, Uncle, QRXT and 2 others like this.

Good night, everyone. Tonight's photo is icicles hanging from my porch.

rave, marlou, tmcase and 5 others like this.

There's a question I had asked myself: Why are they now naming all the big snowstorms? I know they have named hurricanes, but now every snowstorm? Then I heard something on the car radio yesterday. A guy has written a book about it, and he said naming something makes it more human, and that makes us think we can predict it or anticipate it better. When we have a conversation with someone, we try to read their mind, think what they really mean and are feeling. So naming a storm makes it feel more like we can anticipate what it will do.

So I thought I'd Google it and see what I could find. It turns out The Weather Channel started this practice, and there's some controversy over it. See Winter storm naming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the pros and cons.

Here -- Why The Weather Channel is Naming Winter Storms - weather.com -- I found an interesting factoid. Students from Bozeman, Montana, have decided the names of the storms this season.

Here's an article against the practice. MAweatherboy1's Blog : Why TWC Is Wrong To Name Winter Storms | Weather Underground
    Uncle likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Celt - love your dark cloudy skies with trees photo in the contest!!!!!

SandySu - Nice icicles Tutoring seems to be going good for you.

Terry - How's the weather. We got all your wind and none of your rain from this last storm.

It is a chilly 22 degrees out but toasty warm in here with the wood stove. Hubby got it going this morning. It is supposed to get to 55 degrees today. I am hoping to get Wiseguy out on the road and Nevada out to the round pen.

Hope your trip up north is going well, Uncle.

So, how's the bird watching going, Raven?

How is the weather at your place, Awsum? Are you starting to think about spring? We got our seeds ordered and we are ready to start our seeds. Tomatoes and some of the flowers need to be started around March 15th to March 30th.
    Last edited by Renolizzie; 02-20-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    rave, marlou, tmcase and 3 others like this.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Well - I FINALLY made it up North late last night after a half hour delay in Florida because Philadelphia Airport was overloaded with traffic and then after another 1 1/2 hour delay because a Woman collasped as she was entering the plane from the gangway after being wheel down just after "Me" (turns out from from a hypoglycemic attack/eventually a stroke) . . .

LONG STORY SHORT . . . Uncle is very upset because NOT ONE CREW MEMBER knew what to do and worse the Captain and Co-Captin stayed in the cockpit and the other 2 flight attendants were in the back galley . . .While the 5'3" head flight attentant, the older man who wheeled her to the door, and her husband kept trying to pull the woman up by her arms (almost pulling them out of the sockets) - instead of getting her bent legs and feet out from under her (gave her some orange juice with sugar - and when she became more cohearant) and then lifting her by getting under her arm pits and back up to the wheel chair (which of course was not easy given her "dead" weight - matter of fact, she is much larger then I am, I would say well over 300 lbs . . . It actually took all I could muster just to finally get her to the edge of the chair with the assistance of 2 other men and her husband - who was much older & frail) . . . All this while the rest of the passengers just stood in the gangway . . . .Finally the gate crew showed up and removed the rest of the passengers back up into the airport waiting area as a Sherif officer, and EMS showed up and got her to the gangway . . . Where upon she went catatonic (?)/passed out and stopped breathing . . So they started CPR . . . BTW: While we were getting her legs out from under her - I found out from the husband the woman just got out of the hospital the previous day took her diabetic medications in the morning and hadn't eat all day (it was 3 PM) . . . The worse part about this whole situation is NOT ONE SINGLE Airport personel or any Member of the EMS team asked any questions of her "husband" or "Me" who did the inital accessment . . And - When someone from the Airport came to find out what happened - The flight crew just tried to pass it off as though all that happened was that the woman fell, that was until I spoke up . . . ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE ! ! ! !

Oh Yea - When all was done the rest of the passengers where let on to the plane and the flight crew said thanks for helping and when they came around with the refreshment cart offered "Me" an alcohol drink of course free of charge . . . Woopi !!!!

Normal every day event - NOT ! ! !

Just really pissed at the flight crew - definitely contacting the airline when I get home . . . First to find out if the woman is alright (if they will let "Me" know anything) - then to let them know what really happened (Maybe even contact FAA - don't know yet ) . . . Just Sayin' . . .

Just got to figure out who to contact so that something can be done so that type of situation does not happen again . . . Without a doubt - the Captain should have step in and taken control of the situation - NOT A PASSANGER ! ! ! (Even if it was "Me") . . .
    Last edited by Uncle; 02-20-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    rave, marlou, tmcase and 4 others like this.

People should seriously stop expecting Normal from "Me" - We all know it's not going to happen.