Dissolvable tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dissolvable tobacco

ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Dissolvable tobacco

Well, having been a regular user of medicinal nicotine lozenges for years and years, I can't really see the point in Ariva and Stonewall.

They are marketed as dissolvable tobacco, and from what I can gather are highly powdered, flavoured and compressed tablets of tobacco. I suppose they are aimed at the dipping tobacco market, since the website makes great play on the fact that there's no spitting needed! Clearly there's no spitting with the medicinal product either, and absolutely NO TSNAs (Tobacco-specific nitrosamines - the cancer causing agents in tobacco and tobacco smoke).

PV Master ECF Veteran

Default Re: Dissolvable tobacco

I've used both, so can comment with some authority. Basically, I use Stonewall because of price. Pure and simple. The things are cheaper per piece than any of the now over-the-counter nicotine replacement offerings. I have a friend hooked on lozenges and he'd save money going back to his cigarette habit. Another friend has been hooked on gum for two years and is a non-stop chewer. Too expensive! Plus, lozenges do not serve up enough nicotine to give an ex-smoker a hit, so cravings remain. Ditto for all the other offerings that max out at 4mg.

Let me add that Stonewall (I used Ariva when it first hit the market) can't satisfy me alone, anymore than some gum or lozenge can. I still love to smoke, not inhale, a pipe. I'm using the new e-Pipe now in some non-smoking environments. When I'm about to go nuts, I use Oliver Twist bits. HEAVY nicotine hit. I've worked out a rotation combination that works for me, and keeps me from deeply inhaling smoke. I know the damage it did, and would continue to do.

Also let me plug snus in dry pouches. I'll comment further on this in the special forum for snus. I use them almost non-stop, even while smoking a pipe.

Peace, I'm outta here Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

So i contacted the makers of Stonewall/Ariva and they are sending me a box of each product and blend to try out. I just called to find out where i could buy it and they offered it to me.

So far the service has been great and the lady was really nice.

-Dusty-
    "Think of life after the jump." -Dustin Hardy-
    VTR Compatability List

PV Master ECF Veteran

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, Dusty. The Java flavored Stonewall bits are daily fare for me. They're the first thing I reach for when I awaken each morning and the first thing I do after completing dinner. My local tobacco store stocks them for me and I go through about four boxes a week. That's in addition to several tins of snus and my e-smoking. (Oh, and about four pipes of real tobacco each day.) I know I could not do without Stonewall, among everything I use. I'd almost rank it first on my own list.

It did take time to get used to the bits. There's no instant nicotine hit as with cigarettes. They take about 45 minutes to dissolve in the mouth. But they maintain a steady-state nicotine level in the blood. And they taste great (I buy java exclusively).

Post your thoughts after a few days of using them. (And you'll hate the tamper-proof container.)

ECF Veteran

i'll let you know how i like them.

The NM distributor is supposed to call me on monday so hopefully i'll actually know where to buy them.

Went to the local tobacconist to see if they carried snus, and they don't. They did say that they should be carrying it by the end of next month, so we'll see how that goes.

Where do you buy your snus? online or local?

Thanks,
    -Dusty-
    VTR Compatability List

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran leaford's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rat, could you give me the contact info? I wanna try, too. I'm not interested in it for regular use, but as Bob said, backup systems are always good.

ECF Veteran

http://www.disolvabletobacco.com/

that is their webpage. i called the number that is listed on the "get connected" page.

They claim Ariva is sold at walgreens and rite-aid, but i didn't see it here. granted i only went ot like one walgreens that was in the ghetto.

-Dusty-
    VTR Compatability List

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran leaford's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Rat. I'll check it out later.

ECF Veteran

no problem at all.

-Dusty-
    VTR Compatability List

PV Master ECF Veteran

Dusty: I buy snus at a Sarasota tobacco store (Tobacco Depot chain) AND online. The only Swedish varieties available in the U.S. are a limited amount from Swedish Match, the biggest snus company. I buy CatchDry Peppermint, which tastes like a breath mint, is quite weak in nicotine, and lasts for an hour or more per portion. They also sell General portions, which are somewhat stronger and have a tobacco taste. Avoid loose snus. You want portions/little teabag-like pouches.

In some parts of the country, you can now find Camel and Marlboro snus being test-marketed. I like them. Both are tasty .. and weak in nicotine. The Marlboro is extremely weak, leading some to conclude snus is being set up for failure, to keep smokers on cigarettes. There's also SkoalDry Cinnamon, which Skoal doesn't call a snus, but it is. It tastes like Dentyne chewing gum.

Online, from either http://www.northerner.com or http://www.buysnus.com, I order Wise snus, both tasteless and citrus/menthol (I don't like the regular Wise flavor). These are extremely potent snus that can spin your world in 10 minutes if you combine it with, say, e-smoking. :mrgreen: Voice of experience speaking here. I use the 6mg Wise dry portions, not the weaker 3mg ones. The tasteless is wonderful and can be used with any drink or food, without messing up the taste.

By way of comparison, a cigarette might have 1.5mg of nicotine. You suck that into your system in 10 minutes. A Wise 6mg hits your system about 10 minutes after you place it between check and gum! It's much stronger than a cigarette and much stronger than e-smoking 24mg liquid. If the strength ever bothers you, take that one out and try again later. Or use 3mg snus.

Lucky Strike is a good snus with a tobacco taste. I also recommend snus aimed at women: Vertigo in both flavors and Romeo y Julieta Senorita. Despite what you might read on snus forums, don't go for the strong or loose stuff that will grow hair on your shoulders. Most people won't like it and will give up snusing. The beauty of this is not only that it provides needed nicotine, but that it does so invisibly. You can use these anywhere, anytime, and no one need know.

And the overall cost of snusing is far less than smoking cigarettes.

Hope this Snus 101 helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast