Why sub ohm
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Why sub ohm

Default Why sub ohm

I'm fairly new to rebuildables, and I love what I'm getting out of them so far. I haven't ventured into sub ohm setups, I'm quite happy with a 1.2 ohm single or dual coil setup. I don't understand the appeal of an unstable sub ohm set up that could potentially hurt oneself when you can operate at a safer resistance and simply up the voltage/ wattage.... Is there a significant enough difference in performance to risk injury if something were to go wrong? Why use a mechanical and run it at .2 ohms (or whatever) when you can use a 1.5 ohm coil on a provari or a dna20 or a vamo (or whatever) increase the output of the device, AND have the protection of the device? I've seen videos by riptrippers where he's getting vapor production equal to that of a mechanical sub ohm setup but he's at 15-18 watts on a coil that's not sub ohm, and it's much safer. Am I missing something here?

Also, it seems to me (based ignorantly and entirely on common sense) that in such a scenario of catastrophic failure resulting in a battery actually causing bodily harm, wouldn't it heat up sufficiently enough to warn the user? I feel like you would drop a superheated mod rather than grasp it, continue to vape, and blow your face off... Or is there something else that I should know?

Batteries will get hot before anything dangerous would happen. Sub ohms are not unsafe if your using safe batteries, ( I use 30 amp sonys and this is just my opinion) lol

Of course it's dangerous if one doesn't know what to do in terms of sub ohming, but it's very, if not extremely important to understand the risks of sub coiling and the like if one doesn't understand some logistics of amps, voltage watts! I do love tinkering with electronics and ham radio stuff and building my own pc's, so getting into sub ohms was in my scope of things to try!

Lots and lots and even more of research if your just getting into this category!
    My 2 cents
    madqatter likes this.

The idea of sub ohm is that assuming you have the proper wicking and a good mech you can get more power, high drain cells are out that can handle nearly 5C discharge on continuous duty cycle and 9C momentarily. I don't make sub-ohm wraps myself it eats batteries and there is clearly some risk, but I have seen some of the micro sub ohm coils and they perform far better than a LR coil on a VV, this is also due to the limits on the VV devices for current.

I personally do sub-ohm vaping because I've found it brings the best out of my liquids, and I love a warm vape.
    HoracePinker likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran happydave's Avatar

whats not safe is when you have people that don't know what they are doing. 4 volts with a .3 ohm coil means your pulling 13 amps from the battery and hitting 53 watts of power. if your wick can feed fluid to the coil fast enough you will create one great vapor thunder cloud.
    when people that try such things with equipment that is not rated for such things, or dont check anything with a DVOM before they start they are risking life and limb.

to put things in prospective a standard wall socket in the U.S. is 110 Volts (alternating current) and around 20 amps.
    Last edited by happydave; 10-21-2013 at 07:28 AM.

PV Master ECF Veteran WarHawk-AVG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The clouds man!!! Sub ohmers are those guys that blow vaping clouds like a busted stove!

If you are vaping normal ohm coils and it satisfied with it don't sweat it...but if you want to run the quarter mile in less than 9 seconds...you need MORE power, and the only way to do that is get higher voltage (stacking batteries) or go VERY LOW ohms!

Normal resistance (running a DIY mod too )

Sub Ohmers

Last edited by WarHawk-AVG; 10-21-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    happydave likes this.

"An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"
    "A vaper without a multi-meter, is like a Mechanic without a wrench"

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hello Sean and welcome to the forum.

Please read this blog entry posted in another thread dealing with the same subject. Come to think of it, read the whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by madqatter View Post
    I've been vaping happily for almost 4 years and never had any need to go sub-ohm, but we're all adults here and people can do whatever they want. I just hope they have enough knowledge and understanding of the potential dangers to avoid hurting themselves and/or others in the process.

@ Warhawk: That's funny
    Last edited by drew2075; 10-21-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast