Myth Busters: Stainless Steel Conductivity - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Myth Busters: Stainless Steel Conductivity

Flavor Junky Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

no myth but facts
    The following is from somebody who knows what he is talking about!

As for the thermal conductivity, aluminium is far better than steel as heat is coming out very easy, so the heat don't stay on the battery, so its life is extended.

As for the electrical conductivity. Its well known that steel is one of the worst metals to electrical conductivity. The corrosion of aluminium is because it is a much more "active" metal to electricity then steel so therefore it needs cleaning. Also we never use steel where good electrical conductivity is required because we loose large amounts of energy. There is not one wire in the world made from stainless steel. We need at least 3 mm wire of stainless steel to reach the connectivity compared to 1mm aluminium wire. Also electrons runs much better on the aluminium that on steel. And if you search though internet you will see that everybody says that steel is a bad conductor of electricity and nobody uses it for that purpose.

The total resistance of a mod is the resistance of its weakest point. So if a mod is made all from silver and only one piece is made from another material then the total resistance of the mod is the resistance of the other material.

You can see in this video too how steel affects the connections:

Electrical Resistance of Stainless Steel - LiveVideo.com

Besides all the above: aluminium is 3 times lighter and of course can be polished way more easily than steel.

So it is clear: Steel has no advantages at all, only disadvantages
    Youtube: emonty999
    Wapari - Sat22 - Ad-Hoc - Variant - Venturi - Zero mod - In'Ax - Wolf50 - Lukkos - Chalice

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    .01 Resolution on the voltage is more then adequate to show any significant drop in voltage for a PV, though i do have a friend who was kind enough to send me a Fluke and i will gladly re-test when it arrives.

I again want to stress my argument is not that stainless steel is the best conductor among various metals, only that it is more then sufficient for our pv's that carry low loads over very short distances. In other words, regardless if you use brass, stainless, aluminum, etc. in a PV body, you will have no significant losses in voltage and amperage reaching the atomizer and thus all will vape equally.

I will test with an atomizer attached too, though the atomizer is the added resistance, and the bodies resistance will remain a constant as previously tested. We then know the result will be the same, only with a proportionately lower, but near equal, loaded voltage.

I agree .01 is more then adequate, but your meter doesn't read 2 decimal places just 1, hence the the .1 resolution I stated.Stainless has more resistance then aluminum period. Your video proved it, the meter was showing .1 ohm on the aluminum and was bouncing off .2 on the stainless, That proves that the stainless had almost twice the resistance then the aluminum. Here is a chart http://www.kp44.org/ftp/ElectricalCo...fMaterials.php showing how increasing the mass could reduce the offset, it doesn't show Stainless but stainless is more resistive then the bronze shown in the chart.

Actual unloaded voltage at the atomizer connection is useless and pointless. You do remember a certain PV that used a SS spring and caused .4ohms of resistance. Loaded voltage will show actual current to the atomizer and resistance in the PV should show increased voltage drop, I am looking forward to seeing your video of loaded voltage to the atty on the aluminum and the stainless tube with all other testing parameters being equal. I think this test could put the argument to rest. If you are correct in assuming our PV's are to small for it to make a difference I will be the first to congratulate you.

Quote Originally Posted by martha1014 View Post
    I was told that aluminum was a better conductive of electricity. I guess they were wrong. As far as the weight of the SS Super 6 it weighs less than most mod on the market.
    I am not sure how you read into anything David said but aluminum is a better conductor of electricity, how much better then Stainless steel Davids new video should put that to the test.

Here is a conductivity chart of metals, aluminum is 4th from the most conductive and Stainless is 20th, use your own judgment....

Conductive Materials or Metal Conductivity - TIBTECH innovations -

Cisco...
    Last edited by Cisco; 06-22-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    .01 Resolution on the voltage is more then adequate to show any significant drop in voltage for a PV, though i do have a friend who was kind enough to send me a Fluke and i will gladly re-test when it arrives.

I again want to stress my argument is not that stainless steel is the best conductor among various metals, only that it is more then sufficient for our pv's that carry low loads over very short distances. In other words, regardless if you use brass, stainless, aluminum, etc. in a PV body, you will have no significant losses in voltage and amperage reaching the atomizer and thus all will vape equally.

I will test with an atomizer attached too, though the atomizer is the added resistance, and the bodies resistance will remain a constant as previously tested. We then know the result will be the same, only with a proportionately lower, but near equal, loaded voltage.
    I agree with what your are saying. Cooper would really be best conductor but would turn green. There is not enough difference in these units to actually cause much variation from the different metals.

What is the Chameleon made out of? Is the aluminum?

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

What is the Chameleon made out of? Is the aluminum?
    yes it is, I had one
    Wapari - Sat22 - Ad-Hoc - Variant - Venturi - Zero mod - In'Ax - Wolf50 - Lukkos - Chalice

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

What coating is on the chameleon to keep it from tarnashing or need polishing.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

What coating is on the chameleon to keep it from tarnashing or need polishing.
    Check with Isaac at IkenVape: The Chameleon Line

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by emonty View Post
    no myth but facts

Besides all the above: aluminium is 3 times lighter and of course can be polished way more easily than steel.
    My stainless doens't need re-polishing constantly. Unlike my aluminum PV's

The aluminum scratches very easily just from a ring I wear and a pen in my shirt pocket.

I can put my stainless Precise in my pocket with coin change and there's little to no effect.

So............... it may be easier to polish but you only polish SS once...

People are all caught up in thess miniscule amounts of resistance differences.

Do we really think it matters that much?
    Last edited by BrockJ; 06-23-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

Considering the source and the credibility of the comment (Cisco) it will be interesting to see if there is indeed a substantial difference.

I have a Chameleon and once I receive my P18 it shouldn't be hard to debunk the myth if in fact it is just a myth.

That being said, if the difference is negligible then by all means, the durability of stainless over aluminium any day of the week and 3 times Sunday. But should there be a significant difference well longevity only goes so far, over effectiveness, wouldn't ya think.

Super Member ECF Veteran gatsby's Avatar

Correct me if I am wrong (hey its the internet so someone will even if I don't ask), but even with the longest Precise you are talking about traveling 100mm. If you calculate the resistance at even using 1mm square surface area that is a difference of about .045 ohms. Now since there should be more surface area than that in the walls of the tube the difference seems pretty negligible at best considering the weak link as always is a wet dirty atomizer.

p.s. I should say I am not an authority I am remembering old old physics and using an on-line calculator so I might be thinking of this all wrong. Someone will correct me I am sure if I am and we can all learn.
    Last edited by gatsby; 06-23-2010 at 01:55 AM.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Aluminum is fine where constant assembly and dis-assembly don't cause wear. I'd rather have SS for long life, aluminum for light weight, and brass or copper for threaded parts. That said, a little lithium white grease will make aluminum threads last almost forever.

Aluminum is a standard in overhead utility wiring. It's lighter in weight than copper, strong enough to withstand weight, and it conducts well as long as contact points aren't allowed to oxidize.

Still, I'd rather have stainless in a PV for longevity and scratch resistance. Copper and brass are first choices for threaded parts that conduct, as in flashlights, but even those use aluminum bodies for light weight and have aluminum screw on end caps that conduct.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast