Myth Busters: Stainless Steel Conductivity
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Myth Busters: Stainless Steel Conductivity

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

Default Myth Busters: Stainless Steel Conductivity

There seems to be some questions and mis-information floating around on the conductivity of stainless steel and suitability for use in mod's.

First, yes, stainless steel is not as conductive as many metals, but the part many have left out of the equation in their haste to quote (yet not understand) metal resistiance charts, is it's conductivity is dependent upon length the current has to travel. It is NOT A FIXED resistor as the resitance goes up with the length the electricity has to travel through said material. Shorter distances equals less total resistance!

In our PV's, the distance the electricity has to travel (very short) and the gauge of material it is flowing through (large), makes stainless steel an excellent candidate for use in PV's. Futher more, it is more corrosion and scratch resistant (less polishing) has much greater tensile and hardness ratings compared to aluminum (superior thread strippage resistance) and, since one can run a much thinner wall thickness when using stainless without sacrificing strength, it can often times weigh the same or less then some comparable aluminum mods.

Other ways i address this conductive issue in the new Precise line so it is not an issue:

First, the positive current in the Precise line of mods does NOT flow through the stainless steel. The center post on the Precise is made of Brass, not stainless steel, and directly connects the battery to the atomizer, thus no significant electrical loss.

Second, the negative current is conducted through the body, but the body size, gauge and electrical path distance is sufficient/short enough to carry the low voltage and amperage that PV's produce.

Third, on the battery to switch contact, both the new Precise 16340 and Precise 18650 have a custom machined 4 prong brass contact post.

Demonstration video of Aluminum/Brass Vs. Stainless Steel Conductivity and why either is equally suitable in PV applications though i believe the nod goes to stainless for it's superior scratch and corrosion resistance as well as a much greater resistance to thread strippage:

YouTube - Stainless Vs Aluminum Loaded Test
    Last edited by forcedfuel50; 04-28-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Deja vu, again. =)

I seem to recall this discussion a few months back in a general thread that became so monotonous that it ended up being locked. The result was the same as David's video showed here -- insignificant difference in conductivity. Go figure, eh? What was proven a few months ago hasn't changed. LOL

Nice demonstration vid, David. You're still not ready for an HBO special yet. Sorry. =(

The pretty young lady that did the original demos for Super T Manufacturing -- Now, there's a video talent! I miss her!
    Mr.Mann likes this.
    Sent from my keyboard using fingertips.

Super Member ECF Veteran Trox.Shawn's Avatar

I don't know all this electrical stuff, but what I do know is I have a precise along with a few mods made of aluminum. They all seem the same to me.

Cliff notes video minus my fingers...(thanks Richie G.).

YouTube - Cliff notes version

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

was there some thought that maybe your skin was causing a greater conductivity on the first test?

I too have SS and aluminum units and theirs no noticeable difference in any of them as far as voltage flow. Just design, craftsmanship and preference. Plenty of difference in those categories. *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by BrockJ View Post
    was there some thought that maybe your skin was causing a greater conductivity on the first test?

I too have SS and aluminum units and theirs no noticeable difference in any of them as far as voltage flow. Just design, craftsmanship and preference. Plenty of difference in those categories. *cough*
    Yes, thats why i thought it best to redo it. As it turned out, there was no difference, but it was still a good idea to re-test, if nothing else, just for repeatability:-)

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Told you I would be stalking your forum and webpage for P18 statuses.

Copper is the standard by which metals are measured for their electrical conductivity. From http://www.kp44.org/ftp/ElectricalCo...fMaterials.php Copper 100% Aluminum 61% Steel 3 to 15%. However, what it comes down to is the application in which the material is to be used, and as Dave shows here, conductivity is a non issue for a stainless steel PV and the benefits outway the cons. Weight, strength, durability etc. In fact I own an aluminum mod that has problems because it uses aluminum for the connector to the atomizer, now that was a bad idea. I have a brass mod that is great, but it is a little on the heavy side, and I have a couple of SS mods that are light and durable.

Thanks for debunking the SS vs. Aluminum vs Brass myth IRT a PV and conductivity.
    The Vaper by Petar K, Orion, NGPs, Piccolo, "Pyrate", GGTS, ProVaris, Precious-L
    Z-atty-G ODY Spheroid DID-mini Lines A-2TM

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran LadyMaMa's Avatar

Thanks for the video and commentary, David. Not HBO worthy, but maybe Mythbusters. Unfortunately, mis-information is perpetual and perpetuated. It's likely that you'll have to re-post your video again in another month. *Sigh*

Hi Richie! Hello Brock!...and welcome back Rhino! I know that some of you are Dads, so big hugs for all of you!

Susan

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

So nice to have you back Mom...

Did you test and approve the new Precise units?

Of all the units produced to date, which is your favorite "Go To" machine? (It better be a Super-T)

Great Video Dave..... Hopefully this video will put this whole Conductivity issue to rest once and for all......And Its Great to be back LadyMaMa thank you....
    ɥʇɹoʍ sʇuǝɔ oʍʇ ʎɯ ʇsnɾ

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast