Mythbusters Part Deux: Stainless Steel Weight - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mythbusters Part Deux: Stainless Steel Weight

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    No, haven't tried. It's very difficult to machine and requires special bits and machining processes. It would be pretty damn cool!
    I had a titanium Provape, very nice and sturdy metal. I believe it is one of the lightest but strongest (beside tungsten.Yes, that would be pretty damn cool indeed !!!!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    No, haven't tried. It's very difficult to machine and requires special bits and machining processes. It would be pretty damn cool!
    Makes pretty flames too! You haven't had fun until you've Chernobyl'ed a 2" turbo mill into some Titanium.
    MODS:GP Paps X 1.5, GP Paps SS Ed. v3, GP Paps 2.5, GGTS, Billetbox v3,Provari 2.5, Zenesis 2 Carto Hybrid, Ghost Modder Shadow(#0004) ATOMIZERS:ZAP, KFL+, Spheroid v2, Squape, Vapinaze AL-1, Diver v2 Enzalis, Diver v2 45mm, Trident v2 24K Gold, GP Heron

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I would like a 100% solid rhodium P+18650, please.

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by snork View Post
    Make sure that winning lottery ticket is real first

That would be pretty awesome!
    "Just assume the answer to every question is compassion." Gregory Boyle

Moved On ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by snork View Post
    Yep, that's a good one : )

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Finally someone who speaks the truth. Steel is just plain stronger. Most people think about strength or weight, but don't think about the ratio between those two variables. Remember people: The RATIO is what is important!

And for you Ti junkies (I am one of you) titanium is brittle. Drop it one the wrong way and it shatters. Most good steels just absorb the shock.

Yes thnk about your future PV, people, but keep it realistic. Pros and cons. IMHO, steel is the way to go, FOR NOW.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
    Finally someone who speaks the truth. Steel is just plain stronger. Most people think about strength or weight, but don't think about the ratio between those two variables. Remember people: The RATIO is what is important!

And for you Ti junkies (I am one of you) titanium is brittle. Drop it one the wrong way and it shatters. Most good steels just absorb the shock.

Yes thnk about your future PV, people, but keep it realistic. Pros and cons. IMHO, steel is the way to go, FOR NOW.
    Yep, thats just it, though stainless is much heavier then aluminum, its also much stronger, hence you can use thinner walls and save weight. My 26650 Shockwave, though heavy since its still a 26650 mod, is still relatively light as it weighs less then another manufacturers aluminum 26650 mod as we use much thinner walls and remove material from non critical areas.

ECF Veteran

Got a question, I hear about all the different grades of stainless: 316, surgical grade etc. I know all these factors differ in quality and how "stainless" steel can actually be. Are your new devices 316 or higher? Im just curious because in the case of the Odysseus genuine vs clone, though the clone is very well made it is apparent that the quality of stainless steel differs in its oxidation.

Just curious, Ive had people ask me and I never know how to answer. SOme have other devices that are supposed surgical or 316 etc.
    snork and duke916 like this.
    "me, I'm on the side of the Angels............ but the Devil is my best friend"

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Differences between grades of stainless are really not that relevant to us. 304 or 316 - really - makes no difference except for the price that the mod maker charges. Quality stainless (not necessarily graded stainless!) should not have much of an issue with oxidation as long as it is given reasonable care - keeping in mind that stainless does not mean "rustless" - it literally means "Stains less" - not "doesn't stain at all" Some of the clone stuff coming out that is stainless - or so they say - does have a bit of a problem with oxidation. One easy way to tell if stainless is decent is to hold a magnet near it - good stainless - well, it won't be attracted or barely at all - the more it's attracted, the more iron in the alloy - and the more oxidation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by anavidfan View Post
    Got a question, I hear about all the different grades of stainless: 316, surgical grade etc. I know all these factors differ in quality and how "stainless" steel can actually be. Are your new devices 316 or higher? Im just curious because in the case of the Odysseus genuine vs clone, though the clone is very well made it is apparent that the quality of stainless steel differs in its oxidation.

Just curious, Ive had people ask me and I never know how to answer. SOme have other devices that are supposed surgical or 316 etc.
    anavidfan likes this.

ECF Veteran

Thanks Draconian, I never knew about the amount of magnetic attraction with Stainless steel. I was just curious, like I said. People always like to compare and justify why something is "better" or more costly.

Working as a surgical Tech, I saw many implants that were removed. Some of the surgical Steel was not pretty when removed. It was tarnished and some of them were removed because of that oxidation.

Titanium also oxidizes and also looks pretty bad after a few months and years.
    "me, I'm on the side of the Angels............ but the Devil is my best friend"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast