Mythbusters Part Deux: Stainless Steel Weight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mythbusters Part Deux: Stainless Steel Weight

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

Default Mythbusters Part Deux: Stainless Steel Weight

I was reading the other day some posts that would have one believe stainless steel mods weigh 3 to 3.5 times as much as aluminum mods. Could this be true?!

While it is true that stainless by volume weighs 3 times as much as aluminum, when used in mods, the mod often comes no where near 3, 2 or even 1.5 times as heavy!

Why is this so?

First: Stainless steel has far greater tensile and hardness ratings when compared to aluminum, which not only gives stainless steel its great scratch resistance, but also allows us to run a much thinner mod wall diameter then aluminum without sacrificing strength, thus saving some weight, as well as a giving us a thinner mod to boot!

Second: Many mods utilize brass, steel or stainless steel endcaps, buttons, center posts, atomizer threads/adapters and parts, which are all much heavier then aluminum. Brass, Stainless and Steel also all have near equal weights by volume.

No doubt a stainless steel mod does weigh more then aluminum, but the increased strength in the atomizer thread area and cap to body thread areas (the most likely areas to strip or wear out) as well as it's corrosion resitance and scratch resistance, makes Stainless steel a pretty attractive option in the use of mods! Stainless steel's heft is quality you can feel.

Video weight comparision of a Stainless Precise Vs. an Aluminum Bodied Precise:

YouTube - Weight of Stainless Steel Vs. Aluminum Mods
    Last edited by forcedfuel50; 04-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    icucme2 likes this.

Also, i should make it very clear, i'm not bashing aluminum. I have made mods in the past of aluminum and will no doubt make them in the future. I'm simply defending stainless steel against a few individuals who have bashed and spread mis-information regarding stainless steel without even manufacturing stainless steel mods or having any empirical testing of it's actual use in mods (both conductivity and weight).
    Last edited by forcedfuel50; 06-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Wharf Rat likes this.

dk2
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Ha ha, let the basher's bash I'd say they are only doing it cause you make a superior product, they are a tad jealous. Funny as per ss weight vs. aluminum, I personally like a little mass in my mods, a bit of heft is not a bad thing, it gives character and makes it feel solid.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Hey David
    Maybe you should be looking into alternate materials, before someone asks you for justification in your choice of springs.

Can you save some weight by using a smaller diameter spring wire?
    If so, how will it stand up and will that impact the warrantee?
    Higher tensile so you wouldn't need to use as many coils?
    Maybe remove the spring and have the user position the PV so as not to make contact, until needed?

Thoughts???

Bob

P.S. Just kidding but the questions are getting a little silly

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

All these videos has me thinking you have way too much time on your hands.

how about spinning up a few of the Precise 10440 drop in switches for the non protected batts. OK then... how about just one?

Have lathe, will travel...

Full Member Verified Member gtxsliarmor's Avatar

Hello David, Have you ever tried to make a PV out of Titanium?
    If so how did it work out.

Thanks,
    Don

Ultra Member ECF Veteran VaporMadness's Avatar

One of the reasons I ordered the P16 was its stainless steel construction. As near to bullet proof as I could get and as low maintenance as possible... I'm lazy.
    Chameleon6V IkenVape, Precise16 SuperT, LR801s IkenVape, BackwoodsBrewHunters Blend, Casablanca, Octane Cigarillo, Plain, Signature

Quote Originally Posted by gtxsliarmor View Post
    Hello David, Have you ever tried to make a PV out of Titanium?
    If so how did it work out.

Thanks,
    Don
    No, haven't tried. It's very difficult to machine and requires special bits and machining processes. It would be pretty damn cool!

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    No, haven't tried. It's very difficult to machine and requires special bits and machining processes. It would be pretty damn cool!
    ... and pretty damn expensive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast