NEW MODS!! The PrecisePlus 18500 & 18350. - Page 77
Page 77 of 188 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast
Like Tree1075Likes

Thread: NEW MODS!! The PrecisePlus 18500 & 18350.

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

David, I haven't experienced any issues with tube cracking but it seems to a common occurrence out there for many. Some suggest that certain flavorings in the juice could cause it while some blame it on possible poor cutting techniques and improper finishing of the ends where the tube is cut.
    "Just assume the answer to every question is compassion." Gregory Boyle

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporologist View Post
    David, I haven't experienced any issues with tube cracking but it seems to a common occurrence out there for many. Some suggest that certain flavorings in the juice could cause it while some blame it on possible poor cutting techniques and improper finishing of the ends where the tube is cut.
    Has anyone suggested that they may not be polycarbonate?

PV Master Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

This is one bit of research that i'm proud to support.

I've got 3 tanks that are cracked actually. I forgot about the other one. The tanks are from 3 different vendors. I only use 100% organic, 100% VG (even the flavoring is VG based) in my tanks. I'm using NONE of the flavors that are "known" tanks crackers. I seriously think it has to do with the o-rings swelling after being saturated with juice, & they have nowhere to go but out........& if the tank is pliable, then the tank cracks to make room for the o-ring.

My 3 POS cracked tanks will be mailed to David within the next hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~`
    edited to add,
    I don't think ANYONE, has god forbid made the suggestion. I've got both acrylic & polycarbonate tubing here at the house & I do think that these cracked tanks behave more along the lines of acrylic, (but were purchased thinking that they were in fact polycarbonate). I made my first scubagen out of acrylic. It cracked within a day. I replaced it with polycarbonate that I purchased myself from Mcarr Masters & it is still going strong to this day.
    Last edited by bmwjen; 10-04-2011 at 09:43 PM.

ECF Veteran

Not AFAIK... But I haven't seen every report either.
    "Just assume the answer to every question is compassion." Gregory Boyle

I believe, without the benefit of examing them, that polycarbonate should not be cracking on you.

Here is an eye opening video of polycarbonate vs acrylic, they even take the old baseball bat and 12 guage shotgun to them both!
    bmwjen likes this.

ECF Veteran

I buy stock length's of polycarbonate tubing from McMaster Carr and use them in my tanks and I have never had a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by strprswpr View Post
    I buy stock length's of polycarbonate tubing from McMaster Carr and use them in my tanks and I have never had a failure.
    A reputable supplier no doubt (mcmaster Carr). Have you had any problems with fogging or discoloration with any juices?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    Good news to hear! I've noticed a lot of Precise owners from Arizona and New Mexico, must be something in the weather down there in the Southwest! I backbacked the grandcanyon twice now and can't wait to go back again!
    Yeah I'm a newbie out here. Just moved in January but love it. Grand Canyon is amazing but SEDONA is the place to be. Check it out if you ever come out again! And thank you so much for the great products. We all seem to love them. This is my first Super T product and im incredibly impressed. My several other mods will stay on the shelf, at least once my 18500 ships and gets here!
    Wingapo likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I think I see the sun poking over the horizon. Tomorrow is another day. Somewhere over the rainbow. Come on people help me with some cliches.

All of us out here in the great southwest prefer Precises because they can handle the insane things that we have to subject them to every day. Anyone want to go boating down the Rio Grande? How about a hike with mountain lions? Every been stuck in the desert with an ego? Yeah, we need durability and dependability.
    Last edited by Wingapo; 10-04-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    Wow, for real? I mean, let me reword that, i'm not doubting you.

I'm just wondering if some tanks may be trying pass other materials (such as acrylic or plexiglass and the like) as polycarbonate? I mean, you can take real polycarbonate at room temperature and bend it in half with no cracking under most circumstances.

Is there any chance anyone who has cracked or broken tanks that were polycarbonate tanks they would be willing to send me? I would really like the oportunity to examine them. This isn't to call out any vendors or start any fights, i just want to research suitable materials for tanks.

David
    Assuming most of it was encased a steel housing and isolated from said housing by rubber o-rings (or some other means ) why couldn't you use pyrex tubing? It would never leach, craze, react with anything, and would always remain transparent. Pyrex is resistant to thermal expansion and is also more resistant to physical shocks than conventional glass materials.
    ridenit likes this.