How come... !?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How come... !?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default How come... !?

Ok, this might sound weird but I have discovered that if you press the button of the PrecisePlus kinda pushing it towards an end; the wall, so to speak, pushing it also to a side, it delivers more power, making a better connection, sort of...

I have a 18,490 battery and using the "officially-recommended" configuration...

A friend of mine is experiencing the same with his kicked 18,650...

Weird... I know, but there you go... !!!

What do you guys think...

They are correctly configured and totally clean, no problems there... I know this makes no sense, but... Mmmm...

How come... !?

Try this and check if it's the same...

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I have definitely found that too, but only with the Kick. When the Kick begins cutting off because of sensing the lower voltage of the battery, I can eke out some more life by "side pressing" the button. I can't imagine why this would work and have often thought about posting your same question. One would think any button press would be as good as any other.

ECF Veteran

Right...

Maybe someone should measure the difference, power-wise... And come up with a reason...

Anyway, thing is "I'm not alone", heeee...

Kinda cool, though; it's like a "turbo feature", ahahahahahhhhh...

I discovered that as my AW IMRs were a bit old and the difference is now 'big', same as with the kick. Try it without a Kick in case of batteries which are weak and you'll see...

Maybe David could chime in... Or any other who has a theory to support this "side pressing" effect; difference... !?

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I haven't experienced that with my P+500 but it was quite noticeable with my original P18. It used to happen especially when it was time to clean the brass button screw.
    "Just assume the answer to every question is compassion." Gregory Boyle

Full Member Verified Member eLguSo's Avatar

Yes man, I thought was alone, and a little bit crazy too!

Side pressing is the rule!
    C:\Users\PABLITO\Pictures\ad astra per nidor WEB.gif

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Well then we must find the answer. I don't accept that on a clean unit it should make any difference.
    What sorts of things could contribute?
    Loose button post?
    Dirty parts?
    Dirty battery?
    Spring?
    Beats me.
    What else, and why?

ECF Veteran

I'm on skype with eLguSo and we think the difference is ALWAYS there, just that it becomes obvious when there is a "weak link" such as a batt running low; dirty contacts, etc.

We should measure unit under load "side pressing" versus non-side pressing and see what happens...

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I can see the difference always being there, that makes sense. But why? Could it be that when side pressing the button makes more contact with its housing? Would having a squeaky clean button and housing make a difference?
    It's time for me to sleep. Tomorrow and Friday we'll dig deeper. Better yet, you could solve it while I sleep.

ECF Veteran

I share the same doubts... I will also go to bed myself... And maybe I'll solve this in my dreams... However in my dreams mods work flawlessly no matter what... So I guess I won't experience any difference...
    Last edited by revolver; 05-17-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

The PrecisePlus has a dual grounding switch, both via friction contact where it slides through the bottom shield and with the spring to button to body contact. Putting side pressure on it is increasing the load on the sidewalls of the shield to button connection.

Stainless steel does oxidize, albeit at a very slow rate compared to aluminum, brass etc so a periodic cleaning is in order. You can wrap a piece of 400, 600 or 800 grit sand paper around a sharpie marker and run it through your shield in a twirling motion. Don't do it too much as you don't want to take material off, just enough to put a little cross hatch in it. You can also clean the ends of the spring with 400-800 grit. An eraser works good for in the shield, on the button sides (not the Rhodium contact though, don't ever clean that with more then a soft cloth) and the spring ends and spring contact areas.

Just a reminder, don't sand or polish your rhodium contacts though, they never oxidize or corrode, just wipe those with a soft cloth.
    Vaporologist likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast