Inside Super T, making of an adapter - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Inside Super T, making of an adapter

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Richie G View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nubee
    David, are you able to reclaim any of the scrap and shavings?
    Can that be remelted back into usable stock for the next PV?

I use the shavings for toothpaste...>> David

>

You're kidding but there is a use for everything, if one is creative enough..

100 years ago or so I worked in an automotive machine shop. Part of that job was re-surfacing drums and rotors, naturally. One day this older gentleman walked into the shop and asked if he could take some of the cast filings out of the bin. I gave him an odd look and said; "Sure". He proceeded to fill up a handful of coffee cans that he came with.

Curiosity got the better of me and I finally had to ask the obvious question --

"Sir, what is it exactly that you're going to do with inexpensive cast iron filings that normally I toss in the garbage?"

"Well, if you must know -- I grow tulips with them"

"You do what now?"

"Tulips. I grow tulips with the filings"

"Tulips need raw iron?"

(at this point he sighed, realizing he had to give me [a snot-nosed punk of a kid who wasn't accepting his evasiveness] a better answer)

"See, when I plant my bulbs I toss some filings down into the hole. The filings start to rust immediately and that beautiful rust color makes it way into the flowering petals"

A month or two later he came back with examples of some of the flowers he grew. That rust color just haphazardly streaked through the petals of the flowers. They were truly stunning.

So, what color does aluminum turn when it rusts? LOL
    wow I didn't know that they would do that. I wonder how many other plants or flowers could do that as well. Im going to have to investigate this... nice story man.

Default A Chance to Geek Out....

Quote Originally Posted by Richie G View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nubee
    So, what color does aluminum turn when it rusts? LOL
    Transparent.

Part of the luster of aluminum is the result of there being a transparent layer over Aluminum oxide over the pure metal. This fact led to the strange science legend in Star Trek and Star Trek the Next Generation where it was asserted that the ports on the ship were made of "transparent aluminum." They even went so far as to make a transparent aluminum tank in one of the movies.

Interestingly enough, some years ago, a German firm actually caused a minor sensation when they created a hard tile of an Aluminum compound (Aluminum Oxynitride or AlON) that was transparent enough to read through. Internet news stories assert that it is undergoing trials by the military because it is half the weight of similar thicknesses of glass and twice as projectile resistant.

Transparent Aluminum Armor

Thank you for this minor chance to geek-out.

Happy Holidays!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The_janty_Misfit View Post
    Transparent.

Part of the luster of aluminum is the result of there being a transparent layer over Aluminum oxide over the pure metal. This fact led to the strange science legend in Star Trek and Star Trek the Next Generation where it was asserted that the ports on the ship were made of "transparent aluminum." They even went so far as to make a transparent aluminum tank in one of the movies.

Interestingly enough, some years ago, a German firm actually caused a minor sensation when they created a hard tile of an Aluminum compound (Aluminum Oxynitride or AlON) that was transparent enough to read through. Internet news stories assert that it is undergoing trials by the military because it is half the weight of similar thicknesses of glass and twice as projectile resistant.

Transparent Aluminum Armor

Thank you for this minor chance to geek-out.

Happy Holidays!
    excellent find thanks....

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran LadyMaMa's Avatar

Grimdog has arrived!!! Nice avatar

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMaMa View Post
    Grimdog has arrived!!! Nice avatar
    thanks , how are you doing?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

This is a very impressive thread ~ I had no idea what went into this...beautiful work!
    Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life.
    Brooke Shields

Full Member ECF Veteran

The end product clearly demonstrates the skill and care of the talented hand that produces these beautiful devices. Thanks for a glimpse into your shop, Dave!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

And I thought David was just scavenging parts from old Russian ICBM's.

Quote Originally Posted by The_janty_Misfit View Post
    Wow! I hope this stuff becomes available at a reasonable price some day, sounds like the best thing to build my next rimless aquarium out of.

Full Member Verified Member gtxsliarmor's Avatar

Hello David, It looks like a Lee 1000 reloading press next two the buffing wheel, I have reloaded 1000's of rounds on a Lee. I have 4 of them set up because I do not like changing Die's also have one single stage for reloading My 454 Casull and other big boomers.
    Torqueguy likes this.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtxsliarmor View Post
    Hello David, It looks like a Lee 1000 reloading press next two the buffing wheel, I have reloaded 1000's of rounds on a Lee. I have 4 of them set up because I do not like changing Die's also have one single stage for reloading My 454 Casull and other big boomers.
    Both me and my dad were into shooting. He sadly passed away last year. Nothing like blowing off a little steam by putting some lead down range:-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast