Simplicty + Strada, Strange black spots
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Simplicty + Strada, Strange black spots

Full Member Verified Member

Default Simplicty + Strada, Strange black spots

Hi, i recently recieved my strata and simplicity combo
    and i have grown to love the setup very much.

today i noticed theres a strange black spot on both the drip tip and the strata top cap, where i guess they made contact,
    i think it was made by an electric arc, because it looks like it was made on both of them in a place of contact between the two and there are two spots on the drips and two spots on the top cap, and they seem to fit in a certain way.

can anyone tell me if it was infact made by an arc, or did it came like this from super t?

picture taken with my cellphone,

only one pair of spots if visible.

Ω Destroyer Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hard to say from looking at it. If it were caused by an arc, chances are it would be caused by your drip tip coming in contact with your positive post (which would create a short since the body of the Strata is on the negative current path)
    Last analog: 2-23-2011

Current Gear: Darwin, SS GGTS #882, Ωpus-D, iHy Illuminati & Pure, Precise ELA, Simplicity 350Ti, Black Copper Stingray #459

looking at the metal where the black spots are, seems the metal degraded a bit on both the drip tip and the strata top cap. no idea what happened, or how could the drip tip make contact with the positive post.

Ω Destroyer Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I could theorize on how that might happen, but my Strata hasn't arrived yet so I haven't seen one firsthand and can't make any guesses that I could be certain of.
    Last analog: 2-23-2011

Current Gear: Darwin, SS GGTS #882, Ωpus-D, iHy Illuminati & Pure, Precise ELA, Simplicity 350Ti, Black Copper Stingray #459

this is a better picture

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That certainly does look like an arc burn, but I doubt that came in like that, but anything can happen.......
    "me, I'm on the side of the Angels............ but the Devil is my best friend"

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

Yes, that is an arc burn. Could come from the tip making contact with the vortex screw (make sure the tip and vortex screw are both seated and tight) or it could come from a coil shorting on the outer body. Check coils to make sure the coils aren't touching anything, reposition if necessary.
    Killjoy1, Tinben and anavidfan like this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

This happened to me also, I reseated the positive post, made sure to wrap the wire around at least one full turn so it was level, and made certain coils weren't touching the body, It's still shorting on me. Is it possible the o-ring may not have a tight enough seal so the drip tip may be moving slightly from side to side? What's the clearance between the vortex tip and the inside of the tip laterally?

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran forcedfuel50's Avatar

It's real easy to test if its the tip or coil, simply remove the strata drip tip and replace with a standard tip(standard tips not extend as far down in). Standard tips can be run on the strata no problem. If you want the stock tip tighter, a bigger tip oring is included in your strata parts package.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfuel50 View Post
    It's real easy to test if its the tip or coil, simply remove the strata drip tip and replace with a standard tip(standard tips not extend as far down in). Standard tips can be run on the strata no problem. If you want the stock tip tighter, a bigger tip oring is included in your strata parts package.
    Okay I'll go ahead and try the thicker o-ring. Sort of off topic, but what is weight of the simplicity strata.. roughly in grams?

edit: Yeah that fixed it. All good!
    Last edited by dave4127690; 03-05-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    anavidfan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast