Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Precise Strata RDA Build Thread

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Take off the drip tip and see where the hot spot is... Nach is right
    Tinben and Cucco like this.
    Signature was too big :). Ill get to a smaller one soon.

Full Member ECF Veteran Barefoot Joe's Avatar

Just a quick success report on my Simplicity 18350 Strata setup. I was lucky enough to get mine early, so I've had some time to play with it. I have tried single micro coils, single nano coils, continuous dual coils, attempts at the Ophion builds with single and wrapped wire. I used 26 and 28 gauge Kanthal and organic cotton wick through the coils and on the bottom. Everything has worked, but vapor production has lacked, some builds more than others. It seems when I would get decent vapor, the hits would be hot and harsh. I'm comparing my experience to an HH 356 atty, LR 1.6 ohm I think.

Well, I followed pAth77's Ophion tutorial almost to a tee. Used 26 gauge Kanthal, 7 wraps, loosely packed cotton, etc. I now have about as much of a cloud machine as I think you can get with an 18350 with dense and flavorful vapor. Count me as satisfied.

ECF Veteran

Glad it worked out for you Joe. I can't take any credit other than taking pictures and typing a few words. All I did was follow Nach's instructions that he sent me via email. But I agree with you, this is definitely the best performing setup that I have made thus far on the Strata. My thanks go to Nach and his buddy that did all the hard work on coming up with this coil.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

here's our first stab at the strata. using 28g kanthal 7/8wrap quad coil, used a cotton u-wick, then i can line up the 4 airhole with the coils, seems to be vaping ok but i think i can get better. vapes like a genny, with big throat hit.
    once the cotton gets nasty i will use mesh.

check out my youtube channel "thetoxicjon"

"Truth is treason, in an empire of lies" ron paul

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

I did the Path style build w/ 28awg. I found it REALLY hard to do starting with the neg connection, and easier starting with the positive. It came out to about .7ish ohms.

Vapor is decent, better than a single micro in the Strata. Still think my previous build was preferable, but that was harder to get right.
    Want to get a hold of me? | Twitter: @basilray | YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/basilray | Phone/SMS: 612-293-6405

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

My experience.

My first build was a single micro coil with PNC cotton wick, because that's the set up I prefer in all my silica attys. flavor was great, th strong, vapor lacking. I had the coil lifted up a few mm above the deck. I then stretched the coil out a bit in an arc covering a little less than half the well, and pushed it down to about 1mm above the deck. This greatly improved the vapor production, and is a pretty satisfying vape.

Second build I did was a type of ophion with the coils more of an up and down shape, like a frequency graph. This didn't work out very well, I think because the resistance was too high.
    image.jpg

Last night, I followed paths tutorial, and the vapor production is greater than anything I've tried so far. Very good vape, but not what I would call a cloud machine. I had some trouble getting the coil to bend in a perfect circle around the deck. Any tips on that path? A video would be great!
    It seems to me that the best vapor comes when the coils are around one mm above the level of the deck. Any thoughts on this from anyone? I could be wrong, but I think the lack of vapor is due to the indirect airflow over the coil. The attys I get the most vapor from, have a stream of air flowing directly over the coil.
    Last edited by eternalsurf; 03-13-2014 at 04:07 AM.
    forcedfuel50, Tinben and Cucco like this.

ECF Veteran

Regarding coil placement, mine is slanted with half the coil slightly below the air intake deck and half slightly above it. Working really well at 1.15 ohms, good thick clouds. I slant it because both coil wires come out on the same side of the coil, one at the top and the other at the bottom. I have the higher end on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalsurf View Post
    My experience.

My first build was a single micro coil with PNC cotton wick, because that's the set up I prefer in all my silica attys. flavor was great, th strong, vapor lacking. I had the coil lifted up a few mm above the deck. I then stretched the coil out a bit in an arc covering a little less than half the well, and pushed it down to about 1mm above the deck. This greatly improved the vapor production, and is a pretty satisfying vape.

Second build I did was a type of ophion with the coils more of an up and down shape, like a frequency graph. This didn't work out to well, I think because the resistance was too high.
    image.jpg

Last night, I followed paths tutorial, and the vapor production is greater than anything I've tried so far. Very good vape, but not what I would call a cloud machine. I had some trouble getting the coil to bend in a perfect circle around the deck. Any tips on that path? A video would be great!
    It seems to me that the best vapor comes when the coils are around one mm above the level of the deck. Any thoughts on this from anyone?
    Last edited by jamesd1628; 03-13-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Super Member ECF Veteran prof beard's Avatar

I'd really like to see pictures of some single-coil builds which show the wicking arrangements
    I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels, but I would slave to learn the way
    to sink your ship of fools

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by basilray View Post
    I did the Path style build w/ 28awg. I found it REALLY hard to do starting with the neg connection, and easier starting with the positive. It came out to about .7ish ohms.

Vapor is decent, better than a single micro in the Strata. Still think my previous build was preferable, but that was harder to get right.
    It is definitely easier to first attach the coil on the positive post rather than starting with the ground post.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalsurf View Post

It seems to me that the best vapor comes when the coils are around one mm above the level of the deck. Any thoughts on this from anyone? I could be wrong, but I think the lack of vapor is due to the indirect airflow over the coil. The attys I get the most vapor from, have a stream of air flowing directly over the coil.
    I agree with you that the coil height will greatly affect vapor production. I have found that the vapor production is greatest when the coil sits right at the level of the deck. This ensures that the airflow directly hits the coil as it enters the chamber. The higher the coil above the deck, the lower the vapor production and the harsher the hit. I've found this to be true on all coils that I've built on the Strata.

As for bending the coil into a perfect circle, I use a metal pick to slowly work it into place while the coil is lit up. Just light the coil up and nudge it little by little until you have it positioned the way you want it.
    Cucco likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I am finally getting decent results. I have been adjusting the coil tighter and closer to the deck. Chain vaping and adjusting. I got more boiled and drying. By Sat I think I will break this build down and go a slightly different route. And a different juice. I think the juice I am using is too thick. I like it so far even though it needs some tweaking. I think I can make this work as my EDC work vapor.
    Tip is loose so I may try another washer. And I wish I could find a longer lasting 18350. Running AW's ONE at the moment.

Random thoughts.
    Cucco likes this.

Super T Precise + 18350 & Strata
    GP Paps X 1.5, Conversion Ring & ?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast