Precise Strata RDA Build Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Precise Strata RDA Build Thread

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Precise Strata RDA Build Thread

This thread is long overdue, but it's better late than never. I hope Nach doesn't mind me starting this up since this build is essentially his Ophion coil, but I think that people are getting a bit antsy to get their Stratas performing optimally. The coil that I make varies slightly from Nach's, but it is relatively simple to make. It is essentially identical to building a microcoil. I am using 26g kanthal, 7 wraps around a thick paper clip (measuring 0.035" in diameter). I torched the coil after wrapping.

Once the coil has cooled, stretch it out a bit and then attach it to the positive post. Do not stretch it out too much at first because you want the length of the coil to fit perfectly around the periphery, and it is easier to stretch the coil further rather than to compress it.

Once you have the coil attached to the positive post, slowly stretch the coil out to the proper length and attach it to the ground post.

Here is the coil lit up:

Pack the center with your wicking material of choice; I use organic cotton wick. I have been getting better performance from loosely packed wick versus a tightly packed wick. I have not been stuffing the wick all the way down to the base because I like it to act as a reservoir for juice. The height of the wick should not pass the base of the helix portion of the positive post.

Now fill it up with juice, let it soak, and vape away!!!
    Last edited by pAth77; 03-10-2014 at 03:58 AM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks pAth77........... What is the ohm reading of that coil using your build specs (wire type/# wraps) ?
    I am looking to build that coil and want the ohms to be around 2+ ohms since I will be using it with a Kick2....
    Last edited by Riverboat; 03-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Hey Path,

Are you only using one of the side posts? It looks like you are, so I'm curious as to what kind of resistance you're ending with.

Here's my 2nd and current build that I whipped up last night:

-Twisted 30awg
    -Dual coils from one continuous run of wire - 0.3ohm
    -"Spread coils" wrapped over 2mm hollow Ekowool over a 16awg needle (pretty sure it's 16awg...could have been 18 - lol)
    -Ends of Ekowool down into the reservoir, leaving some air space underneath the coil
    -Holds a TON of juice and wicks really well
    -Strong TH when freshly dripped

Want to get a hold of me? | Twitter: @basilray | YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/basilray |

ECF Veteran

Default Precise Strata RDA Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat View Post
    Thanks pAth77........... What is the ohm reading of that coil using your build specs (wire type/# wraps) ?
    I am looking to build that coil and want the ohms to be around 2+ ohms since I will be using it with a Kick2....
    In the coil pictured above, I used 26g Kanthal, 7 wraps around a 0.035" paper clip. I don't have a multimeter, but the resistance I calculated for that coil is in the 0.45 ohm range. That is quite a bit lower than I am used to (I generally vape around 0.9 ohms), but it actually vapes almost on par with my standard coils. I have yet to rebuild at a higher resistance because I am getting such great performance out of this current coil. I have been using this coil for almost a week now, and I have just been pulling out the wick, dry burning, and then installing a new wick. I will rebuild sometime this week, and I will shoot to make a coil that is closer to my standard resistance. I will repost my results.

Quote Originally Posted by basilray View Post
    Hey Path,

Are you only using one of the side posts? It looks like you are, so I'm curious as to what kind of resistance you're ending with.

-Twisted 30awg
    -"Spread coils" wrapped over 2mm hollow Ekowool over a 16awg needle (pretty sure it's 16awg...could have been 18 - lol)
    -Ends of Ekowool down into the reservoir, leaving some air space underneath the coil
    I have it built as a single coil so yes, I am only using one of the ground screws. One of Nach's previous posts in the original Strata thread shows a different RDA set up as a dual coil Ophion, and there is no reason why you couldn't do the same on the Strata. I have just always preferred single coils so that is where I started for this build.

EDIT: I built an identical coil for my brother's Strata last night, and he just metered it. The coil came out to 0.8 ohms so that explains why it vapes similarly to my standard KF coils.

RE-EDIT: Apparently, my brother forgot to take into account the resistance of the leads, which was 0.3 ohms. So the resistance of our coils is 0.5 ohms, which is pretty much on par with my manual calculations.
    Last edited by pAth77; 03-11-2014 at 03:09 AM.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

My first build has been horrible. No flavor or vapor. But this is my first RDA so I am going at it blind. I read 1.5 ohms.
    Tomorrow night I am going to try for 1 ohm. But kinda scared to go too low. I am using a 18350 battery and don't wanna push it.
    Cucco likes this.

Super T Precise + 18350 & Strata
    GP Paps X 1.5, Conversion Ring & ?

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinben View Post
    My first build has been horrible. No flavor or vapor. But this is my first RDA so I am going at it blind. I read 1.5 ohms.
    Tomorrow night I am going to try for 1 ohm. But kinda scared to go too low. I am using a 18350 battery and don't wanna push it.
    Sorry to hear, your first build didn't go so good. Tomorrow, is another day.

Hey guys, what are the 'low' limits of ohms with a 350, and a 490/500?
    Tinben likes this.
    Mods: Super-T:((4)ELA V1; (1)Simp(18350)-Ti; (1)Simp(18500)-Ti; (1)Simp(18650)-Ti; (1)Simp(26500)-SS; (1)Simp(26650)-SS) - GP PAPS:((2)X V1.5-SS; (1)X V1.5-Ti Edition #006)
    Atties:
    (2)KFL; (5) KFL+ V2; (1)Helios RDA; (3)S-T Strata RDA(ELA); (3)S-T Strata RDA(Simp)

ECF Veteran

I'm wondering in general what ohms people use for their homemade coils. I usually shoot for 1.5 ohms with my other attys (Kayfuns, Squape, Spheroid). If I set the Strata at 1.5 ohms, it does not perform to the level of the others (well, at least in vapor production; throat hit and taste are still excellent). However, if I bump the Strata down to around 1.1/1.2, it performs about the same as the others at 1.5. I'm wondering whether the air flow in the Strata serves to cool the coil in a way that lessens vapor production. Since the air is coming from all directions in the Strata, it may just naturally reqire lower ohms to get similar vapor production. Currently, I have a single coil build of 1.15 ohms and it's performing really well - great vapor, taste and throat hit. Just kind of rambling here . . . .
    snork, Tinben and Cucco like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd1628 View Post
    I'm wondering in general what ohms people use for their homemade coils. I usually shoot for 1.5 ohms with my other attys (Kayfuns, Squape, Spheroid). If I set the Strata at 1.5 ohms, it does not perform to the level of the others (well, at least in vapor production; throat hit and taste are still excellent). However, if I bump the Strata down to around 1.1/1.2, it performs about the same as the others at 1.5. I'm wondering whether the air flow in the Strata serves to cool the coil in a way that lessens vapor production. Since the air is coming from all directions in the Strata, it may just naturally reqire lower ohms to get similar vapor production. Currently, I have a single coil build of 1.15 ohms and it's performing really well - great vapor, taste and throat hit. Just kind of rambling here . . . .
    Interesting observations, and you may be on to something. One of the results from beta testing was the rhodium (or palladium, can't remember now) plated brass center post. The original beta units were equipped with stainless steel posts and David discovered/decided that it wasn't conductive enough. We didn't get a chance to see the results of the change until we got the release units and it surely makes a difference. As we are seeing the Strata is a different animal in so many ways, not the least of which is coils don't even have to be coils, ohms may need to be rethunk also.
    jamesd1628, Tinben and Cucco like this.

I support the modmakers, not the counterfeiters.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basilray View Post
    Hey Path,

-Twisted 30awg
    That looks similar to what I made this morning, though mine is 28 gauge non-twisted .4 ohms. It's great!
    When you say continuous strand of wire, are you saying you trapped the middle of it in the opposing negative post?
    Tinben and Cucco like this.

I support the modmakers, not the counterfeiters.

ECF Veteran

Another thought on wicking/packing the juice well. I am using cotton for the wick. In my current setup, I make one end of the wick just long enough to reach the bottom of the well and lay flat over to the side of the well opposite the coil. I then put in a loose piece of the filler material that I use for my Spheroid (Serra maybe?). I.e., the filler sits on top of the cotton at the bottom, on the side of the well opposite the coil. I don't pack in the filler, I just use a piece small enough to loosely fill the void above the cotton. The other end of the cotton wick just goes into the well below the coil, with some separation between the coil itself and the cotton (no filler on this side, as I don't want to get those little irritating strands onto the coil and burn them). With this configuration, it holds a ton of juice and wicks really well.

Edit: For some reason, in my experience packing a bunch of cotton into the well doesn't seem to wick nearly as well. When the cotton bends, it seems to lose some of its wicking ability. It might work just as well if I used loose cotton as the filler material rather than the Serra stuff, but I haven't tried that.
    Last edited by jamesd1628; 03-11-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    Tinben and Cucco like this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast