What's with the nonsmokers being so happy I quit smoking and then asking
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: What's with the nonsmokers being so happy I quit smoking and then asking

ECF Guru ECF Veteran 36tinybells's Avatar

Default What's with the nonsmokers being so happy I quit smoking and then asking

Okay, so still the nonsmokers in my life are all super happy for me that I quit smoking, but alot of them keep asking after saying how great it is, so when are you going to quit vaping? What is that? Is this just me, or is anybody else getting this? I quit smoking after 30 years. I feel extremely annoyed and angry with them, that they are so freaking rude. As if there is any comparison. So, am I alone with this? What do you say, cause I say I have absolutely no intention of stopping since I had no intention of starting. It happened when the better part of me said hey, try that, while cruising the internet. Lucky me for being in a mood to act!
    “There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do.”
    Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

But darling, you are clearly defective, morally flawed. And of course only the best people out there are always looking out for your best interests. And it's practically a civic duty these days to make other people know exactly what is expected of you. And until they can get a law passed that makes it a legal obligation as well, annoying and presumptuous "helpful" questions such as these are the best they can do to you - cough, cough - for you.

Well, you just have to rise above vaping and become the good person they always knew you were meant to be. What's wrong with you? Not being what they think you are supposed to be! This is, after all, "for the children!"

And if that doesn't work out then start poking them in the eye with your PV. I'm sure it only slipped. After all, you can't help yourself...

(What would Miss Manners do? I have no freakin' idea here.)

Rick
    DC2, jelder227, jamezelle and 24 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

My kids usually jump in when someone asks and say "NEVER" she'd kill us and maybe even you with out her nic!-"

Full Member ECF Veteran

I've had a couple of people ask me--two weeks in!--when I'm going to quit vaping. I just say, "I don't know and don't really care right now. I know what I'm doing is much healthier, and I have no desire to stop. I may never have the desire to stop, and that's okay with me." That seems to shut them up.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by quittin4mykids View Post
    My kids usually jump in when someone asks and say "NEVER" she'd kill us and maybe even you with out her nic!-"
    I like your kids.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran 36tinybells's Avatar

Oh my god! I was stuck in timewarner hell from the day after I posted this thread until today! I detest them. I wanted to thank you guys, I feel better knowing my pv would poke 'em in the eye quite nicely- the ego was probably design with that in mind! I like your kids, too Quittingformykids!
    “There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do.”
    Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

Tell them "Vaping allows me to have the nicotine that keeps me from climbing a bell tower with a sniper rifle ...do you really want me to quit vaping?"

Full Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 36tinybells View Post
    Okay, so still the nonsmokers in my life are all super happy for me that I quit smoking, but alot of them keep asking after saying how great it is, so when are you going to quit vaping? What is that? Is this just me, or is anybody else getting this? I quit smoking after 30 years. I feel extremely annoyed and angry with them, that they are so freaking rude. As if there is any comparison. So, am I alone with this? What do you say, cause I say I have absolutely no intention of stopping since I had no intention of starting. It happened when the better part of me said hey, try that, while cruising the internet. Lucky me for being in a mood to act!
    No, I get this from the husband. He's like, "So how long are you going to vape?" I answer - as long as I want to.

Reminds me of the people who continuously asked me when I was going to get pregnant once married, and wouldn't let it drop forcing me to explain that I was physically unable. Then I had to endure their crap asking if I had "tried all the options available to me".

People can be incredibly insensitive and unbearably rude. Some think everything about you is their business. I have a tendency to drop such folks from my Christmas Card/phone/email/pager/whatever list - just get them gone
    nansc, Tail11, budynbuick and 2 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Randyrtx's Avatar

Electronic Cigarettes are still largely viewed as a smoking cessation device like NRT rather than as a smoking alternative, so the question doesn't really bother me that much. But, I'm quick to point out that I view them as an alternative.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I wonder if they feel you are not suffering enough as you repent for your sin of smoking.

I'm waiting for the opportunity to say, "You know, without nicotine I'd probably be grumpy enough to tell you what I really think about you even asking that question."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast