Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Easyway to quit smoking Allen Carr

Senior Member ECF Veteran TWalker's Avatar

Default Easyway to quit smoking Allen Carr

I found Allen Carrs Easyway to quit smoking really made it easy/er. I am back on the nicotine now with vaping and a little smoking but...I had success for months at a time using this method.

It truly is a good tool for those intent on smoking.

500+ reviews at 5 stars .Amazon.com: The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Non-Smokers Using Allen Carr's Easyway Method (0749725586160): Allen Carr: Books

It made it easy to quit but I just don't stay quit on nicotine. I have had 4+ years success with alcohol.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Without buying the book can you explain exactly how this works.

Super Member ECF Veteran catlvr's Avatar

I bought Allen Carr's book at the end of January 08. Quit smoking for the first time in 30 years Feb 2nd 08 thanks to Mr. Carr's book. I couldn't believe it! It worked, was easy and I didn't have any cravings for over a year. Fast foward to end of March 09. All it took was a couple of back to back major stress situations and a couple of bummed cigarettes and I was back smoking. Thank goodness for e-cigs or I don't think I could have quit again. The book didn't work a second time for me. I would recommend this book to anyone that really wants to quit. martha1014 I think he uses reverse psychology. You smoke while you read it and by the time your done with the book your done with cigs. The problem is that if you start smoking again, and he warns about, it will be harder to quit the next time. RIP Mr. Carr.

Senior Member ECF Veteran TWalker's Avatar

He uses a smokers psychology, not sure it is reverse psychology, but he simply discovered and explained why we smoke and that there are no true benefits.

Very brilliant book which made it easy for me to quit 3 times in years without too much trouble. Like I said I just had trouble staying quit not quitting with his method. I have an addictive type personality and therefore a short memory on what I had read I guess.

I introduced a 48 year smoker who couldn't quit to the book and he put em down and hasn't smoked in near 2 years.

Martha I have some audio and maybe a pdf of the book if you want it.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Found it an interesting read, but didn't work for me.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I read it....didn't work for me either. Just not the cold turkey kind of person................

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TWalker View Post

Martha I have some audio and maybe a pdf of the book if you want it.
    How can I procure this pdf? Thanks

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I have a copy of this book in pdf. I tried attaching it to this message; we'll see if I did that correctly. It didn't make me quit, but it did help me stay off when I first started vaping. I need to read it again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    enchantedwonder and edotman like this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for posting that link. I'm going to read it and see if it works for me. I've been trying vaping and I'm still smoking while vaping. I though I'd DIY because it would be cheaper that way. At the beginning I went out and bought a bunch of supplies and when I saw I was still smoking decided to put them up for sale. Then someone spoke to me and I decided to keep trying and kept them and used them. Then I went bought more supplies. Now I'm overloaded. Then started thinking about getting different equipment. This certainly isn't going to turn out to be a less expensive alternative and I'm still going to be addicted and who knows if I'm ever going to get off cigarettes. I just need to stop this whole nightmare. Will let you know if it works.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Believe more deeply. Hold your face up to the light, even though for the moment you do not see.
    --Bill Wilson

Skimmed through that PDF and as far as I can tell, it's a jedi mind trick. Once you see through what he's trying to do, it simply won't work.

Here's the important part:

The fact is the cigarette gives nothing; it only takes away and then partially restores to create the illusion.
    The author ignores (either on purpose or through ignorance) the very real physiological effect of Nicotine. In fact, it's what the whole thing hinges on. Cigarettes don't do anything for you, any positive effect you experience is simply the alleviation of the withdrawal. Sounds nice, shame it's simply not true.

Now, I don't mean to say that the cost/benefit ratio of nicotine is very favorable, in fact, when using cigarettes, it's pretty unfavorable, but there ARE benefits to consuming nicotine. It IS a stimulant, much like caffeine, and while a person can live perfectly fine without coffee, many people use it to focus and combat fatigue.

He also states:

In particular avoid any product that contains nicotine, whether it be gum, patch, nasal spray or the latest gimmick, the inhalator which is similar to a plastic cigarette. It is true that a small proportion of smokers who attempt to quit using nicotine substitutes do succeed and attribute their success to such use. However they quit in spite of their use and not because of it.
    I believe a great number of people here know full well how wrong this is.

Finally:

Just think, how can you possibly cure an addict of addiction to a drug by recommending the same drug?
    I don't care about the addiction, I care about the health problems it creates. And so should everybody else. If one can take a drug all their life and suffer little or no ill effects from it, why shouldn't they?

To be brutally honest, I think that Mr Carr would, overall, have contributed far more to the health of his readers if he'd recommended smokeless tobacco or, more recently, electronic cigarettes. Sure, his overblown motivational speech probably did help quite a few people, but the success of snus in Sweden and of e-cigs as evidenced on this forum seems to me to exceed the one his book has generated.

Peace.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I find the author's tone to be VERY condescending.
    Last edited by Mordred; 01-30-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast