Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Here's a pic of my polypropylene tank

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran thehangdude's Avatar

jewels, How much is their shipping charges? I was going to try a couple feet, but if shipping is like $10...
    I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad I take something for it.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by my4jewels View Post
    The grommets are too small. They fit with so little pressure that I don't trust them.
    I find that the grommets are much tighter once the carto is in the middle. Try it you'll see what I mean. I also use o-rings in the indendation of the grommets, 7/16 id 5/8 od are the right size for the o-rings.

For anyone interested in trying grommets make sure you get vinyl not rubber. You'll taste the rubber. Radio Shack sells vinyl grommets.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran thehangdude's Avatar

Or you can get six free vinyl grommets from here.
    Vinyl Grommet
    You want GV.7/16 to fit the tubing. The GV 7/16 are 5/16" inner for carto and 5/8" outer with O-ring slot. Don't ask me why they are called GV 7/16, unless that's the interior O-ring dimension.

I use 1/2" X 5/8" O-rings. They fit about the same, but are way easier when you change cartos.
    I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad I take something for it.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Yes its the o-ring dimension, hence o-rings of 7/16 id 5/8 od. The reason they refer to that is because they're really meant for feeding wire through a panel. 7/16 would be the hole in the panel that the grommet would pop into. Someone (I think Vermonster13) just realized that they work for end-caps for our tubes.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

As I recall, their shipping was very reasonable. I ordered 4-1' pieces, and the total was only $9.80.
    Quote Originally Posted by thehangdude View Post
    jewels, How much is their shipping charges? I was going to try a couple feet, but if shipping is like $10...
    thehangdude likes this.
    No analogs since 5-5-11
    I am a DIY'ingcartotankingwoodmodaholic!
    2 Redsky mods, 8 ManCave mods, 1 Grip, 2 Wildman mods, 1 Hogmod, and a BoggerBox.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I just don't trust them. I did try 1 tank using these grommets, and it came apart(wasn't using the O rings). One of the grommets slid sideways, and the rest is history. It just doesn't seem that there is enough of the grommet making contact with the tube for good enough security. Perhaps if the grommet were thicker, I'd have more confidence. Just my .02 on these grommets. YMMV.

I have another idea for endcaps using the polypropylene tubing, waiting on UPS. Someone(can't remember) suggested to use these, Q Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38809B by Danco Company. Before they are placed on the tube, they seem perfect. You need to put the carto into one of the the washers, push the washer into the tubing, and then push the other washer on. It works, it's extremely secure, and it looks good, but it's too tight to do a hot switch, and refilling needs to be done with a syringe.

So, I have a different size coming, P Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38808B by Danco Company. I am hoping that this size will allow for easier refilling and hot switching of cartos.

It'll either be an epic fail or an epic win... I will post my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Adeem View Post
    I find that the grommets are much tighter once the carto is in the middle. Try it you'll see what I mean. I also use o-rings in the indendation of the grommets, 7/16 id 5/8 od are the right size for the o-rings.

For anyone interested in trying grommets make sure you get vinyl not rubber. You'll taste the rubber. Radio Shack sells vinyl grommets.
    No analogs since 5-5-11
    I am a DIY'ingcartotankingwoodmodaholic!
    2 Redsky mods, 8 ManCave mods, 1 Grip, 2 Wildman mods, 1 Hogmod, and a BoggerBox.

Super Member ECF Veteran Carless's Avatar

If you do a search on "shoulder washers" you might find what you are looking for for the end caps. I've been looking at them, but am unsure of the size needed.
    If you still smoke analogs, people will soon look at you like your phone has a cord.

Super Member ECF Veteran Carless's Avatar

If anyone could give me the needed dimensions for this thing, I will source it and post my findings here.

ETA: Never mind. I figured it out.
    Last edited by Carless; 01-19-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    aikanae1 likes this.
    If you still smoke analogs, people will soon look at you like your phone has a cord.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

big daddy caps also work very nice! Howd you get that frosted look? I found the big daddy steel caps that u can pick up pretty cheaply just the caps work very nice with the tubing. Thanks for posting this !!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I believe that frosted look is just how she ordered the tube. Looks awesome. I wonder if Lowe's has anything like it.
    No Kitty, That's A Bad Kitty...Hey!. Quit Smoking 11.25.10 - Dollars Saved - 1.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast