Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Making Glass tanks

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gummy Bear View Post
    Great vid Dan.
    If it helps any, a 1 gal. milk jug with the water setting it above the work piece and some small aquarium tubing to siphon the water from the jug and a small clamp on the tubing to control the drip rate. toss in a few wooden cloths pins to mount the tube just above the glass and wala you have both hands free. One to feed the lathe and one to vape with while it's cutting.
    That is what I had, but I did not have it mounted, was working free hand LOL, since then I had a ECF member send me a air/water magnetic mount so I can send a blast of compressed air/water mix at the exact point of contact. It uses less water and the air helps to keep it alot cooler.
    Thanks for the sugestions!
    Dan
    Gummy Bear likes this.

Download my Excel v14 ejuice calculator Enjoy!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Dan has nice toys. Only slightly jealous. I so want a metal lathe. Woodcraft has nice cheap granite surface plates around 12" by 18" I use for lapping. They are 30.00 I think at woodcraft.com. I buy lapping film online and use it for lapping steel, brass aluminum or even glass if you buy lapping film thats silicon carbide. Works best wet so it wont clog easily. Its also great for sharpening but be careful it makes a edge like I've never seen. If you google scary sharp you should come up with a supplier and maybe a youtube video of the process. Any plate glass 1/4" or thicker works well also. I bought a granite scrap on craigslist thats 24" by 36" and made a lapping/sharpening table using it. Any super flat polished surface works. The water will hold the lapping film in place. I add a drop or two of soap which acts as a lubricant and further helps to not clog the sandpaper/film. You can even do this to resurface a small cylinder head for a lawnmower and things of that nature. Im amazed at how often I lap something so thought I would share the basic idea. Don't want to interfere with the original thread.

Registered Supplier - Offline

Good Idea MrGreen, its cool to see the different ways that people go about making the same thing. and yes it does seem like Dan has some really nice toys... gotta love getting new tools to play around with.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I got two of these tanks in, threw my dct end caps on one and its just awesome, its a total overhaul to my set up, aesthetics and use.

Check out the attached image for the stainless end caps.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Supplier - Offline

that looks awesome!

Full Member Verified Member Obstinatus's Avatar

Gorgeous tank! Nice vid Scubabatdan!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I've used some diamond dremel tools from Harbor Freight to make cuts in Absolut bottles back when my computer was water cooled. It made a great little reservoir. The tool set was cheap and worked great on a dremel. I was suprised at how easy the glass was to work with. Pyrex is probably tougher but I'm sure the diamonds can handle it. I can't find the exact kit I had but it was like a combo of these two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piec...set-36252.html

and

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...scs-31501.html

The thinner disks cut better but the other bits would be good for getting the edge how you want it.

Moved On ECF Veteran

So question guys, how would I go about shortening my pyrex tube that I have? I have one for an Orion that is just too long to sit properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by rusalka; 10-06-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

The Orion guys usually sand it down with wet sandpaper... Orion V2 roll call Post #2049, #2050.

MISTer. 50/50. HS Concentrates. Life is good.

Full Member Verified Member vio3d's Avatar

This is turner approach ...get in touch with an glass cutter and he will show you how to cut in few seconds.It's not big deal and save some time and energy ...I've done almost the same as you until I saw how quickly it works - only matter is the quality of pyrex tube.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast