Making Glass tanks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Making Glass tanks

Unregistered Supplier

Default Making Glass tanks

Hi guys I'm fairly new here, and I've been vaping for about six months. I'm a glassblower at my day job and so I have been thinking of different ways to make glass tanks. I like the idea that pyrex has a very high resistance to chemical breakdown, and should in theory last much longer, as long as it's not dropped and broken. So today I made my first "prototypes". I made them to fit XL Smoktek 1.5 ohm carto with the flange on the bottom.

For this I have used the delrin end caps that come with your standard 6ml DCT tank (I believe made by Smoktek). I found the glass tubing that fits these end caps very well (which was half the battle). For my next project I want to make a glass tank with stainless steel end caps, I like the look of them much more and I believe that they will last longer than delrin. I have purchased a set of spare stainless ends caps to try out, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about getting some machined to the specs that I would want. I have never done any metal working myself and it seems a bit overwhelming at this point.

So far I dont have any leaks, and it seems to hold upwards of 6ml of juice. It looks a bit big but that is because I wanted to use heavy walled pyrex tubing, so that it is a strong as possible. Pyrex tubing that is the same size as the polycarbonate tubing that comes standard on these tanks would shatter on the first drop.

If anyone else is trying to make glass tanks out of pyrex, and has any question about it please ask me. I have been working with pyrex for 6 years so I know the answers to most of the problems you would most likely come across.

I will upload some pictures and would welcome any feedback on the new tanks.

IMAG0172.jpgIMAG0174.jpg

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Nice work b06gordo! Im wondering how you make your cuts on the glass tubing? I was thinking my wet tile saw with a diamond blade would work if I'm very very careful. Here is a link about making brass parts without a lathe. I have made parts like this and it works but is time consuming. If you want to have parts made I'm sure others may know someone with a cnc shop.Selfmade "Big" Genisis Style Atomizer HowTo

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Nice, I have opted for Pyrex also, here is my cutting process since I am a metal guy and not a glass guy
    It took me 7 different attemps before I got a process down that can cut the pyrex perfectly. Since I do not have glass blowing capabilities I can not fire polish the ends. So I opt for using 1000-4000 grit sand paper and a water to finish the ends. I also use a 45 degree grinding stone to slightly bevel the inside lip of the pyrex tube and then wet sand it. Well here is my process

Again, Great job!
    Dan

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Scuba when you post people learn something,thanks that was interesting. Have you tried lapping film to smooth metal or glass? Its usually used for sharpening but it is silicon carbide sandpaper bonded to a plastic backing. Lasts a lot longer than the standard paper backed wet sanding paper most people use. I love the lapping film on a granite surface or plate glass. I can polish anything flat or lap it to make it flat. I lap parts to make them fit tight. I also sharpen chisels,planes and kitchen knives to an unbelievable edge. I lap flat parts that are to be silver soldered together for a very precise finished product.

Unregistered Supplier

Mrgreen, yes if you have a wet saw available, this would be the quickest, and easiest way to cut the tubing. That's how i cut all my pyrex tubes, with a diamond blade made for cutting glass. Scubabatdan has come up with an ingenious way to cut it with the tools he has available, and the finished product look awesome (well done Dan). Thanks for the link on the brass end caps, that is exactly what I would like to create for my glass tanks.

BTW I used 26mm X 4.0mm tubing, and it fit the delrin end caps perfectly. The hardest part of the project was finding the right sized tube, and we have many different sizes on hand. What size tubing did you use in the Video Dan? it looks smaller but that could just be an illusion.

If either of you want some cut and (flame) polished pyrex "blanks" for DIY tanks let me know, I'm not trying to make money or sell anything.... They are so quick and easy for me to make I will send some out for free.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by b06gordo View Post
    Mrgreen, yes if you have a wet saw available, this would be the quickest, and easiest way to cut the tubing. That's how i cut all my pyrex tubes, with a diamond blade made for cutting glass. Scubabatdan has come up with an ingenious way to cut it with the tools he has available, and the finished product look awesome (well done Dan). Thanks for the link on the brass end caps, that is exactly what I would like to create for my glass tanks.

BTW I used 26mm X 4.0mm tubing, and it fit the delrin end caps perfectly. The hardest part of the project was finding the right sized tube, and we have many different sizes on hand. What size tubing did you use in the Video Dan? it looks smaller but that could just be an illusion.

If either of you want some cut and (flame) polished pyrex "blanks" for DIY tanks let me know, I'm not trying to make money or sell anything.... They are so quick and easy for me to make I will send some out for free.
    Yes it was smaller, the tubing is 1/8" thick wall 13mmID x 19mmOD or 1/2ID x 3/4OD
    Thanks MrGreen, will have to look for some lapping material, great info.
    I might take you up on that offer. Flame polished is so much nicer.
    Holy crap I just noticed your location LOL Peoria IL... I grew up in Princeville, and my parents, sister and brother still live there LOL Cool...
    Dan

Download my Excel v14 ejuice calculator Enjoy!

Unregistered Supplier

haha wow, it really is a small world, I actually went to high school in Dunlap... and had plenty of friends from Princeville.

If you want PM me and I'll send out a few tanks next week for you too mess around with.

-Brad

PV Master* ECF Veteran Gummy Bear's Avatar

Great vid Dan.
    If it helps any, a 1 gal. milk jug with the water setting it above the work piece and some small aquarium tubing to siphon the water from the jug and a small clamp on the tubing to control the drip rate. toss in a few wooden cloths pins to mount the tube just above the glass and wala you have both hands free. One to feed the lathe and one to vape with while it's cutting.

Full Member Verified Member

Hey Gordo you being a glass blower my know this... a friend told me I can just score the pyrex tubing and it will snap really easy... I have been thinking about ordering some to do this... is it that easy or should I get a wetsaw

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unregistered Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by bsm471 View Post
    Hey Gordo you being a glass blower my know this... a friend told me I can just score the pyrex tubing and it will snap really easy... I have been thinking about ordering some to do this... is it that easy or should I get a wetsaw

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    You will want to use a wet saw IMO. It is very true that you can score pyrex tubing but It will most likely not come out as clean of an edge as you would like. Hope this helps....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast