Identity theft exposure!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identity theft exposure!

Default Identity theft exposure!

TV website shoppers are now required to submit partial social security numbers electronically for any purchases, even non tobacco items. Identity theft experts report that it is not difficult to determine complete social security numbers from these partial components.
    If you have not secured your financial data by purchasing one of the identity and financial fraud protection services, or freezing your credit, shoppers may risk more than credit card fraud, but identity theft as well. Please do some research on your exposure before submitting such sensitive info unnecessarily. You just might find yourself in a costly and frustrating situation. BE INFORMED AND CAUTIOUS.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

What is a TV website?
    And I would never provide a partial social security number to any vendor.
    Heck, I don't provide to a doctor anymore.
    And I am fairly certain that they're not allowed to require it - I could find the legal precedent I'm vaguely remembering - do you have any documentation of what you're talking about?

Tasty Vapor website. Shop for an item, any item. Read the faq.

PV Master ECF Veteran

From their newsletter this month:

Of Legal Age

You may have noticed a new feature on our website: age verification. Because we provide tobacco related products, we are required by law to verify the age of our customers. The legal age for tobacco consumers in the United States is 18. During this process, you will be asked to supply the last four digits of your social security number. You will only need to do it once per account, and the information is run through an off-site, national database that verifies your identity and age. We do not retain, or even see any of this personal information and we can guarantee that your identity will be protected and secure. If you have any issues or difficulties with the new age verification process, feel free to e-mail us at mi eam@tas apor.us and we are happy to assist you.
    I'll be missing my Markimar's Watermelon Bubblegum, which I've been ordering exclusively _forever_ - but I wouldn't get near this with a ten foot pole. The gall in just blatantly thinking they can ship all my personally identifiable information including partial social (which is of questionable legality anyway) to some other company that isn't even identified, and that's just going to be ok? Mind-boggling.

The biggest bummer is that they're just a couple hours from me - next day delivery if I paid for same day mixing. [shrug]

Their brains fell out - deep sigh - time for me to move on.

[edit - incidentally: I have "issues or difficulties with the new age verfication [sic] process", so I did feel free to email them. To-date, I've heard nothing back. In fairness, it's only been a couple days.]
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 08-02-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Obfuscate their email address in the post and prevent scrape

Full Member ECF Veteran Boredwalk's Avatar

I will not be entering any part of my ss#. My name and birthdate coupled with that, my home address, and credit card info is way too much info.

Super Member ECF Veteran SweetPuff's Avatar

I too feel super uncomfortable with the ssn requirement TV has put in place. Seems totally unnecessary, and I think they should do away with it for good. Clicking on a button that states you are over 18 should cover them for any liability issues they may face...the customer's security should come first.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

My last order went through before this was put in place but... now I am gonna have to think if I should look elsewhere due to this... and that would be DIFFICULT re German Chocolate Cake, Café Mocha, Cherry Cough Drop, etc.

IMO, this function should be TURNED OFF until and only if, it becomes required by law.

Given the recent NSA scandal and the concerns about invasion of personal privacy there, probably will be a LONG TIME before something like this becomes required by law. Also, I believe you can get Nicorette gum right off the shelf and check it out at the auto line at Walmart and there really isn't much difference here re that.

Geoff, IMO the wind has turned in the other direction on things like this and so, IMO would be best to turn this function off until and only if it becomes required by law.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Quexos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toots View Post
    TV website shoppers are now required to submit partial social security numbers...
    No. No. No. No way! This will absolutely cost TV my business. Not going to happen. Sorry. NO!

Full Member ECF Veteran Peg0325's Avatar

Before I read this, I tried to put my number in and had access denied. I just came to read and see why I'm not able to order anything.

Maybe I was lucky?

There must be a better way to verify age....

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. I used to live close enough to where I could walk in, place my order and then walk out with juice within about 10 minutes. I moved about an hour+ away and don't get out to Oakland all that much.

Between the overly intrusive age-verification system, the inconsistency of flavor, and the turn around time for online orders, I think I will need to find a new vendor for my everyday vape. I love Tasty Vapor juice so much, but it will have to be an occasional treat that I can pick up whenever I make it over to the oakland area. Sorry guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast