Folding & Hardware/Software Comparisons - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Folding & Hardware/Software Comparisons

Genesis Advocate Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

If you're running nix, you'll probably want to run version 6.34 along with the kraken and langouste. 6.34 runs headless and earns more points!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar07 View Post
    FYI the latest FAH Client install does not get along with Fedora 18 x64. The version of python on F18 is 2.7. FAH requires 2.6. Kubuntu 12.04 x64 runs smooth as silk.
    The One & Only... The Original... The Nach™

Carpe Nocturne Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Nach, I'm trying the 6.34 on my F18x64 server, it updated the FahCore_a3.exe file automagically. It seems to be better performing than the 7.3.6-1 version. Though I cannot monitor it remotely via the FAHControl utility. On my Workstation and backup server I use the 7.3.6-1, numbers are not as impressive but I do like that I can have the FAHControl on any system and see all of the systems that run the 7.3.6-1 in one view.
    Last edited by Jaguar07; 06-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    “Common Sense is not so common”

-- Voltaire

A few of my MODs

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

You can get HFM.NET to monitor your clients and it has a legacy support for v6 clients! Click the hyperlink in my signature to see what it'll display.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar07 View Post
    Thanks Nach, I'm trying the 6.34 on my F18x64 server, it updated the FahCore_a3.exe file automagically. It seems to be better performing than the 7.3.6-1 version. Though I cannot monitor it remotely via the FAHControl utility. On my Workstation and backup server I use the 7.3.6-1, numbers are not as impressive but I do like that I can have the FAHControl on any system and see all of the systems that run the 7.3.6-1 in one view.

Full Member Supporting Member

-bigadv is a different type of work unit designed for high end duel CPU or better. windows does not currently support any bigadv work units but they are working on them.

If you are capable of running -bigadv you should check out [H]ard forums for a basicly scripted out virsion of unbuntu with ramdrive designed to pump the most PPD out of your -bigadv work.

[H]ard forums is currently the king of folding teams and they are very good folks willing to help out when you need it.
    this thread is to the Ubuntu Desktop folding guide.

Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H - [H]ard|Forum

Full Member Team ECF (folding@home)

I just installed kubuntu on a separate drive to test out with. Got 6.34 and it is running but is only using 1 core. Is it just this work unit or did I configure it wrong. I have 4 cores. On windows, I ran on medium but that doesn't seem to be an option on this, just idle or low.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathek View Post
    I just installed kubuntu on a separate drive to test out with. Got 6.34 and it is running but is only using 1 core. Is it just this work unit or did I configure it wrong. I have 4 cores. On windows, I ran on medium but that doesn't seem to be an option on this, just idle or low.

Folding in linux on a standard machine will really not help you out much as far as increasing your production rate. Unless you are only going to fold CPU on it.... well thats not entirely true anymore. the core 17 work units for the newer video cards will fold on the linux machines but you need V7 to get them I believe.

The PPD increase he is seeing from running linux and 6.34 is due to running a -bigadv work unit. You need a monster PC or server to get them. You need a minimal of i think 16 cores to run a -bigadv and they have a very short time that they must be completed in. that means you need a server class machine.

My 4P folding machine is a 48 core 4 processor g34 server with 32 gigs of ram.

If you are only running CPU and no GPU folding you may see a minor increase in PPD depending on the machine. for home class machines. Modern newer mid to high end video cards will yield you much better PPD in windows then in linux. Because you can over clock them in windows.

For instance a Nvidia 670 TI are getting somewhere around 70K PPD while a high end card like the GTX 780 will give around 150k PPD
    Last edited by tjmax; 07-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Full Member Team ECF (folding@home)

Ah gotcha, that makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying!

When I quit smoking and started vaping, Rather then pour all the extra money from not smoking into vaping gear, I poured it into folding gear.

I am very active in it and have a lot of knowledge around it now. I hope It will be useful for folks now that I discovered you all have a folding team.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I will confirm this... I wouldn't bother at all with Linux unless you're preparing to fold BA WU's. But, that being said... v6.34 headless, gets the most PPD out of BA WU's.

I say, 4 core machine, just use windows. At least that way you can still do other stuff while you're folding.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Think I'm gonna drop ECF, kinda like a black hole...
    Been active on it since the day I joined ECF and not a heck of a lot of activity, might have been at one time but I haven't seen it...
    Last edited by timinftl; 07-25-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast